Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Mistake? Advice appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I recently just took delivery of a 2019 Model S 75D - I added for $3,000 for full self driving.

Total Cost $81,700

First off - the car is absolutely amazing!

I am now questioning if I made the right choice considering I could just order a 2019 Standard Range!?

The 75D has Dark Ash Trim which I absolutely love! But the 75D does not have leather seats - they look sharp but not leather.

If I switched it out for the Standard Range I would be able to get the exact same exterior color, exact same rims, the trim would switch from dark ash (which now is currently only available with the white interior) to the brown wood trim but I would be able to get black leather instead of black cloth.

The car would go up in price from $81,700 to $86,000. The range would go from 259 to 285. 0-60 from 4.2 to 4.0

Is it worth it to switch?

Would I have better resale value on 2019 standard range with leather then a 2019 75D?

I think the car I have now is a bit of a unicorn because of the dark ash trim.

Any advice is appreciated - I feel like I shouldn't have such remorse about making the wrong move... was it stupid to get a 2019 inventory 75D with cloth seats when I could get a 2019 standard range for only $6,000 more.

Thanks in advance!

1. I didnt know they sold an S without leather, I'm shocked.
2. Pls dont think Re sale, think 10 yr ROI. I have 134k miles. I plan to keep it till i die or total it.
3. The difference of 20 miles makes little difference to me. My max is abot 240, i never charger because they they told me not to.
4. On trips u will always route to Super chargers, charge at home at night. I have solar panels, so mine is always charged.to 175.
5. Attached is page from manual u might not have seen?

Attachments

• official.JPG
    official.JPG
    585.3 KB · Views: 137
So I recently just took delivery of a 2019 Model S 75D - I added for $3,000 for full self driving.

Total Cost $81,700

I am now questioning if I made the right choice considering I could just order a 2019 Standard Range!?

The 75D has Dark Ash Trim which I absolutely love! But the 75D does not have leather seats - they look sharp but not leather.

If I switched it out for the Standard Range I would be able to get the exact same exterior color, exact same rims, the trim would switch from dark ash (which now is currently only available with the white interior) to the brown wood trim but I would be able to get black leather instead of black cloth.

The car would go up in price from $81,700 to $86,000. The range would go from 259 to 285. 0-60 from 4.2 to 4.0

Would I have better resale value on 2019 standard range with leather then a 2019 75D?

Any advice is appreciated - I feel like I shouldn't have such remorse about making the wrong move... was it stupid to get a 2019 inventory 75D with cloth seats when I could get a 2019 standard range for only $6,000 more.

Thanks in advance!

You bought a GREAT car that will only get better as new software is created. Leather has drawbacks too. I have an S75 with less range than yours and it is NEVER an issue, even on long trips. Drive three or four hours, have a meal, go to the rest room, back in the car to repeat same. Most of my driving is local and I recharge in my garage each time I pull in. Range is not even in the back of my mind. You have much to look forward to. Take the four thousand and treat the family to a memorable vacation that will stay in family lore long after you will have forgotten that you once fretted over leather seats and a few miles of irrelevant range.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
1. I didnt know they sold an S without leather, I'm shocked.

I strongly prefer cloth seats and their availability was one of the reasons I bought my MS. In fact, if I had to pay extra to get cloth, I gladly would. Not being able to get cloth seats is one of the main reasons I have not ordered the M3 SR now that it is available. Manual seats would have been an icing on the cake! I often have to move the front passenger seat. This is something that takes a split second on my Leaf and FOREVER on my MS. I hate power seats!

Agree with the other responses. You can mindf**k this until the cows come home - the bottom line is you picked up an amazing car at a great price. Trust me when I say that every day you drive it, you'll thank yourself for making this choice.

Enjoy your awesome car!

Total Cost $81,700

Thanks in advance!
If it has cloth seats it was made in 2018, not 2019.

I agree with most of this. I have to admit, I’d have heartburn over this for a long time. But yeah, as @ucmndd put it, “financial bath” is a good term.

On the flip side - we’re all eternally enamored with the next new feature. Unlike other brands, it’s very irritating that big changes come unannounced overnight. But - even though they just changed the suspension and range, they’re expected to do an interior refresh later this year. And eventually it’s hard to think they won’t go to the 2170 cells, even though Elon tweeted they won’t.... Plus, the 1 million mile battery is promised for next year, and in two years they may not have steering wheels.....

If you were to make that jump now, I think your gains would be marginal ...... but in short time, you may feel the slap in the face from the next “new thing” (like possible interior refresh, new cells, etc etc)

Lastly - I love leather seats BUT every Time I get a loaner with the textile seats, I think to myself how nice they feel and that I could be happy with them.

Please enjoy your amazing car, and best wishes.

Reactions: quickstrike12
ever buy a new phone to have the next new one announced the next week? Drive this car for 2-4 years then decide if you want an upgrade after you could possible make the break even point. If you don't love the seats, next time, get different ones. Or you will love them and next time they will be completely different! Having said that, if you have the $$ to blow follow your heart. But I would wait. You could always find a friend or family member who wants a Tesla and "Man do I have a Deal for YOU!@!"

You made the right choice ... best car ever ;) i got the cheapest model S I could buy 2 years ago and it is still a thrill
I have gotten to the point where all the ICE vehicles on the road look sad to me ....
I cant wait for the day when folks reminisce about ICE vehicles ..."can you believe we actually had to put up wit those loud , dirty, polluting machines, with all those visits to the gas station and mechanic for oil changes, brake pads, belts, alternators, mufflers, catalytic converters, on and on" ....

• Love
Reactions: Raechris
First off, you would be crazy not to switch if it doesn't cost more other than the increase in price.

The first and most important thing most people here do not understand is the normal range Tesla is a capped 100kwh pack model s. This mean you can essentially charge to 100% all the time and never need to worry about degradation or slow supercharging with you start getting full. Moreover you get a lot of the new features such as the new motors and whatnot those are much more worth it for the price increase. I would switch if there is no penalty other than the slight increase in price for the new features.