Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S on Top Gear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think you want Top Gear reviewing the Model S. After watching Jeremy Clarkson review the BMW I8 tonight and making a complete hash of trying to plug it into a public charging point, I think the outcome would be fairly predictable.

What I did find interesting was the claim that the I8 only does 31mpg and only has a 7 gallon capacity fuel tank - that equates to a little over 200 miles range. If that claim is true then the car is nothing more than a gas guzzler with an electric motor installed for political correctness. I wonder if a few of those on that year long waiting list may well reconsider their purchase?

I think you should check Top Gear ratings worldwide. It gets around 350million viewers worldwide so I think they can live quite well without Tesla.

A positive review on Top Gear on the other hand would at least have some effect on Tesla. Top Gear could live extremely well without Tesla. If Tesla succeeds and dominate the world in a few years then it would of course be another story.

Personally I love Top Gear and laughed a lot when they tested the roadster. If you dont watch the show regularly you might think its a car program. But it isnt. Its a program made by guys who happen to like cars;) I expected the Tesla review to be just like it was. If you know these guys views on EVs then you cant possibly be surprised. If you want unbiased and thourough consumer advice on cars then you are better of watching another show.

I would never base any purchasing decision on a car solely based on a Top Gear review.

If they want to test the Tesla Model S they will. Several cars have been borrowed or purchased over the years to be tested on that show when the manufacturer didnt want to lend them a car for some reason. So Tesla can refuse, but mr.Clarkson will get a hold of one if he feels like it. Its as easy as that.

perfectly said. This show is brilliantly done to showcase the love of cars; its not a consumer reports conduit. How many of their 350M viewers are in the market for the LaFerrari they just took for a hard run...maybe 2? Its entertainment and I expected the same review on the Roadster as well....funny, this contempt in the thread its like they were supposed to be giving an honest review. It was just for entertainment.

Watching Top Gear for real consumer reporting style feedback on a car is akin to watching The Daily Show and expecting real news. sigh.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's why we don't want TG to review Model S.

you have got to be kidding me. Its doing a great job of promoting the EV as a kick ass car. He even makes fun of himself taking back his reference to it being a blender during the drag race. Battery range and cost are very typical issues for most consumers and I dont think anyone (even TM) has it right yet. Ease up a bit!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching Top Gear for real consumer reporting style feedback on a car is akin to watching The Daily Show and expecting real news. sigh.

Except, it's not billed as "this is just entertainment and isn't factual" is it? If they present something as fact on a show like this, folks will believe it. If this were a sitcom, then yeah, folks would expect something like a silly gag, but on a REVIEW show? Come on.

Except, it's not billed as "this is just entertainment and isn't factual" is it? If they present something as fact on a show like this, folks will believe it. If this were a sitcom, then yeah, folks would expect something like a silly gag, but on a REVIEW show? Come on.

Lol. But don't worry, people that watch top gear get it. :wink:

If someone is incapable of assessing the entertainment value versus the consumer value of that show on their own theres not much you can do, as they will be similarly incapable of understanding any subsequent attempts to explain the difference.

For more on this topic, Google: 'slapstick'.

Lol. But don't worry, people that watch top gear get it. :wink:

If someone is incapable of assessing the entertainment value versus the consumer value of that show on their own theres not much you can do, as they will be similarly incapable of understanding any subsequent attempts to explain the difference.

For more on this topic, Google: 'slapstick'.
I disagree. As this person put it:

A statement from Clarkson on Top Gear about the BMW halo car i8 in what is clearly one of the shows semi-serious review segments will influence the general public when it comes to electric cars in general. So why does the BBC/Clarkson have to flat out lie?

Last edited:
Come on, do you really think a show that "reviews" a Toyota Hilux pickup like this can be viewed as anything but entertainment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Gear is not a review show. It is honestly much more close to a sitcom with scripted dialogue, skits, gags and all. Most episodes dont have anything related to what people would consider a review.

And when they do "review" cars Clarkson is screaming "powwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeer" most of the time driving the car round and round a small track on an airfield.

When Top Gear first started it was indeed a review show, but that is many many years ago. Now its just show and humour.

You guys in the US are taking it way more seriously than what they deserve. In their own words they are just three fat old farts who love cars. They simply play into all possible stereotypes usually connected to men who loves cars. And sadly that includes a whole lot of guys disliking EVs.

Its an act! They are "petrolheads". Liking an EV is like blasphemy in those circles.

- - - Updated - - -

oh are you talking about the segments about what to drive if you're a russian mobster? The home built modified car (complete with a squeaky toy behind the brake pedal) designed for old people, or the segments in general about their love for caravans?
I am assuming those who think Top Gear is to be taken seriously havent actually watched an entire episode...

Top Gear and caravans are classic:) very informative and in depth in their reviews on how to destroy caravans........ Same as their hovercars, bridgebuilding and the list goes on.

oh are you talking about the segments about what to drive if you're a russian mobster? The home built modified car (complete with a squeaky toy behind the brake pedal) designed for old people, or the segments in general about their love for caravans?
No. I'm talking about the segment where Clarkson debates whether to pick the M3 or the i8 – the one i referenced in post #69 above.

- - - Updated - - -

Top Gear is not a review show. It is honestly much more close to a sitcom with scripted dialogue, skits, gags and all. Most episodes dont have anything related to what people would consider a review.

And when they do "review" cars Clarkson is screaming "powwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeer" most of the time driving the car round and round a small track on an airfield.

When Top Gear first started it was indeed a review show, but that is many many years ago. Now its just show and humour.

You guys in the US are taking it way more seriously than what they deserve. In their own words they are just three fat old farts who love cars. They simply play into all possible stereotypes usually connected to men who loves cars. And sadly that includes a whole lot of guys disliking EVs.

Its an act! They are "petrolheads". Liking an EV is like blasphemy in those circles.

- - - Updated - - -

I am assuming those who think Top Gear is to be taken seriously havent actually watched an entire episode...

Top Gear and caravans are classic:) very informative and in depth in their reviews on how to destroy caravans........ Same as their hovercars, bridgebuilding and the list goes on.
IMO you are oversimplifying.

Last edited:
I understand...you said that The Daily Show was a good source for news too ;)
Yes I did. Have you seen The Daily Show? :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

Cred = lost! There is no such thing as 'serious' on that show. That's the whole point!
You've got a point. Sometimes I guess it shows that English is just a second language... I guess semi-serious is a better word (I've corrected that.) – they did after all quote a (UK)MPG figure...

Have you seen that segment (the one with the M3 & the i8)?