Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Model S Owner Surprised with Hardware 3 Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla is reportedly retrofitting vehicles with its next-generation Hardware 3 computer that the company says will make autonomous driving possible.

Tesla owner Sofiaan Fraval shared on Twitter that his 2018 Model S P100D went into the the Tesla service center to replace a HEPA filter and came out with a new, more powerful computer.

“Performed the retrofit for the Full-Self Driving computer. Test drove and verified operation,” Tesla wrote in the service report. 

Fraval’s Model S was previously equipped with Hardware 2.5 and MCU v2. His car build date is April 2018.

Fraval noted that the retrofits are only available for Model S and Model X vehicles for now and owners are not yet able to request the swap.

All new Tesla vehicles come equipped with the new hardware, which includes a Samsung-built chip that has 21-times the performance of the previous Tesla hardware powered by Nvidia.

Tesla has emphasized that the chip is purpose-built for enabling vehicle autonomy.

Anyone else received a retrofit?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: R1Bill
I purchased my ‘16 Model X with FSD because I was told my X (HW2) had everything it needed for FSD. I researched exhaustively and confirmed with Tesla that my purchase WILL get FSD. I fulfilled my end of the bargain and obviously have the proof via Tesla website, Elon on twitter and Podcasts where Elon said specifically HW2 will get FSD. Now I don’t care what gets upgraded as long as the car does FSD safely. I wasn’t promised a new mcu, video games, Netflix etc. I was promised FSD. If this doesn’t happen, being made whole is not a coupon for free FSD with your next purchase. I purchased my X with FSD and plan on driving it a long long time, hence my exhaustive research making sure it had “everything” I needed. To be made whole would be to swap my vehicle option for option for one that does FSD if they can’t make HW2 work. I’m not taking a bath in depreciation holding a FSD coupon. I love my X and am leaving emotion out of this until Elon tells me otherwise. If it goes south, I suspect Elon will need to commute in Cybertruck Vin #001 for safety:)

FSD doesnt exist. How do you know what hardware you are missing when there are no vehicles currently driving around autonomously?

Let me put it a different way. I was sold a Model X that had everything it needed for FSD. It is not for me to know what hardware it needs to get there. If Tesla says it has what it needs, it has what it needs. They know better than you and I. Now if they revise what it needs to get to FSD, that is on them. I purchased a FSD vehicle according to Tesla. Take me there Tesla, if not...swap me to a similar optioned vehicle that will get me there. That is how you make me whole.

I edited that post willow. I have to remind myself that the internet is a horrible place to relay humor. Not everyone interprets it the way I intended it. For that I’m sorry to anyone offended. You will find no bigger fan of Elon Musk than I. My family and I brag about him daily for his contributions. I also am HEAVILY vested in Tesla. Hope that clears Up how much I RESPECT Elon.

Last edited: