Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P100D becomes world's fastest car from Dec update !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Quick" and "fast" are both equally acceptable to refer to velocity or to acceleration. That statement isn't my feelings or opinion, it's backed up by every dictionary or thesaurus I can find. Trying to draw a distinction between the two is arbitrary, and in particular trying to Poindexter someone else on their usage is especially fatuous. Quick and fast are synonyms. Always have been. Check any dictionary you like.

If you want to talk about acceleration versus top speed, use those terms. It is annoying to see so many people going out of their way to criticize other posters and journalists for failing to make a distinction between two terms that aren't actually distinct in any meaningful way.

"Quick" and "fast" are both equally acceptable to refer to velocity or to acceleration. That statement isn't my feelings or opinion, it's backed up by every dictionary or thesaurus I can find. Trying to draw a distinction between the two is arbitrary, and in particular trying to Poindexter someone else on their usage is especially fatuous. Quick and fast are synonyms. Always have been. Check any dictionary you like.

If you want to talk about acceleration versus top speed, use those terms. It is annoying to see so many people going out of their way to criticize other posters and journalists for failing to make a distinction between two terms that aren't actually distinct in any meaningful way.
quick is a synonym with acceleration
fast is a synonym with speed
acceleration is not speed AND quick is not fast

All you have to do is play sports (football, sumo wrestling) . You will see quick guys who aren't fast at all.
Viper and Cobra snakes are quick when they strike....however they aren't fast when they move.

I'm giving you guys perfect examples. Its amazing when reality is abandoned due to the need to be "right".

Last edited:
Reactions: Dcr26
Nope, you're both wrong. Quick and fast are synonyms. pretending "quick" refers exclusively to acceleration and "fast" refers exclusively to velocity is a fiction and has no basis in historical usages of those words. Feel free to check a thesaurus or a dictionary. In fact, I think this made-up distinction that has suddenly become a major talking point is mainly due to the Tesla's success at building cars with fast acceleration.

From google:

quick
kwik/
adjective
  1. 1.
    moving fast or doing something in a short time.
    "some children are particularly quick learners"
    synonyms: fast, swift, rapid, speedy, high-speed, breakneck, expeditious, brisk, smart; More

2. 2.
    (of a person) prompt to understand, think, or learn; intelligent.
    "it was quick of him to spot the mistake"
    synonyms: intelligent, bright, clever, gifted, able, astute, quick-witted, sharp-witted, smart; More
adverb
informal
  1. 1.
    at a fast rate; quickly.
    "he'll find some place where he can make money quicker"
Well said.

Reactions: bhzmark

Okay, I apologize. I certainly didn't mean to annoy or "Poindexter" anyone. I'll concede the point re: quick and fast. I'll even concede that some supercar fans or owners rely on making a distinction in order to feel better about their high dollar cars not being as fast (to 60 mph) as the P100D. I do, however, think that most car guys, particularly when relating to quarter mile metrics, tend to see a difference between the terms. But in the end, quick cars are usually fast too, if not the fastest of all.

What were we talking about again? Oh yeah... so claiming the P100D as the fastest car in the world could be considered accurate if there were some context added, such as "fastest to X mph/distance."