Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P100D becomes world's fastest car from Dec update !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
XAutoworld, like any other mainstream news site, just loves those click-bait headlines. Just once I wish these type of sites would learn the difference between "fast" and "quick". The P100D is the quickest car in the world, not the fastest.

It's a dumb distinction that does not have a basis in linguistics or the history of English. It's just butthurt ICE fans moving the goalposts pretending "fast" has always referred to top speed. It hasn't. That's revisionist history. The truth is 0-60 and quarter mile are the primary performance benchmarks sports cars have always been judged by ... until Tesla came along and now nobody wants to talk about them anymore, haha.

Lets also mention that the Tesla is a Luxury Sedan. It's technically not even in the same class as the others listed. With the exception of the 911 listed above, all of the other cars are TWO seat sports cars. A P100D with ludicrous can do that speed with 4 passengers seated comfortably, golf clubs in the trunk and groceries in the Frunk.

Back on topic. P100D has a new cooling system.

What makes the Tesla 100 kWh battery so different?

Have any P100D owners driven in a way that would have triggered power limiting in the older batteries -- and what happened in the P100D?
Has anybody confirmed what in the cars overheats when driven on the track?

I see some discussion assuming the battery pack, but I'd actually suspect it's either the inverter or motor...

If rollout is not important. Then show me a P100D 2.2 sec time to 60 mph like the Porsche 918 can do using 1 ft rollout ;)

Tesla want almost $7000 for a ludicrous upgrade that improves the time as much as using rollout does. So dont say it does not matter.
You aren't listening.

What I'm saying is that the Tesla MS is beating everything in its weight class. That's why it does not matter about a rollout to me.

The Porsche 918 is not in the weight class of the MS. Neither is the Bugatti. Add 1-2 million dollars to the MS and it will be in the Bugatti and such.

Has anybody confirmed what in the cars overheats when driven on the track?

I see some discussion assuming the battery pack, but I'd actually suspect it's either the inverter or motor...

I'd have to go fishing to find the older threads on power limiting, but I thought we'd gotten fairly persuasive evidence that the rotor was the main limitation, with some indications that Tesla was using a power/time lookup table instead of actual temperature measurement to protect it.

That's probably why the D cars are so much more capable with the same battery packs - more motor cooling by having a second motor. Of course, then they got more power, which means more heat...

(Directly measuring the rotor temperature is somewhat challenging - I think I would probably do it by calculation from the flow rate and temperature rise in the coolant through the motor, or by infrared thermometer.)

I'd have to go fishing to find the older threads on power limiting, but I thought we'd gotten fairly persuasive evidence that the rotor was the main limitation, with some indications that Tesla was using a power/time lookup table instead of actual temperature measurement to protect it.

That's probably why the D cars are so much more capable with the same battery packs - more motor cooling by having a second motor. Of course, then they got more power, which means more heat...

(Directly measuring the rotor temperature is somewhat challenging - I think I would probably do it by calculation from the flow rate and temperature rise in the coolant through the motor, or by infrared thermometer.)
Yeah, that's more in line with what I'd expect... although the lookup table rather than direct measurement is interesting.

The other suspect I have is the IGBT's. I cannot find it again, but I'm relatively certain that I saw some discussion of their rating, and the implication was that they don't have rating to sustain full power delivery (or at least with the cooling supplied). If so, then the inverter may also be a limiting factor in the chain. Again, dual-motor cars also have 2 inverters to spread the load over...

I think that's correct that the inverter can overheat also. not sure which is more common or more typically disabling.

I think one solution would be to drive in sport mode to moderate the temps. Or self imposed sport mode --- just resist the tempation to floor it at every possible opportunity. treat it like a nitrous oxide button for ice -- to be used sparingly.

Inverter is no issue. It stays cool. The battery cell temperature is also not often a issue. I think temperature on the fuse/contactor, stator and rotor is the main issues.

I have done some logging driving 0-250 kph. Battery cell temp did only go from 30 to 34 degree Celsius. Inverter only from 34-36. But stator did go from 42 to 115. Rotor temp I cant log but think that is even more.
Also the contactor/fuses I cant log any temp on. But it does also get very warm as is did melt shut and the car did go into limp mode after some high speed autobahn crusing at 230-250 kph over time.
This is on a P85D without Ludicrous. I know many that have melted they fuse/contactor to and one is on his third. The old melting fuses are just not good enough for high power and high speed driving.

It's a dumb distinction that does not have a basis in linguistics or the history of English. It's just butthurt ICE fans moving the goalposts pretending "fast" has always referred to top speed. It hasn't. That's revisionist history. The truth is 0-60 and quarter mile are the primary performance benchmarks sports cars have always been judged by ... until Tesla came along and now nobody wants to talk about them anymore, haha.

Certainly you'll admit that top speed has "always" been one of those primary sportscar judging benchmarks, right?

Certainly you'll admit that top speed has "always" been one of those primary sportscar judging benchmarks, right?

Sure, although except in extreme cases like the F40 or Veryon, top speed has historically always been a secondary stat compared to acceleration. Aren't most European sports cars (aside from super exotics) limited to 155mph?

The thing is the vast majority of sports car owners will never experience a car's top speed potential, but will experience its acceleration potential on literally a daily basis (if they drive anything like me :) )

Tesla is an amazing car, but for now don't make it sound like its better than the best hyper/super cars out there. I own a Tesla P90D and I don't want to be known as that arrogant person that makes his car sound so fast, but after 100MPH the Tesla's get walked all over by most performance cars. I mean most of you guys do know that right? The Tesla is very quick, but when accelerating over 100mph there are many cars that are cheaper that will outrun it.

Reactions: MuppetOwl
Inverter is no issue. It stays cool. The battery cell temperature is also not often a issue. I think temperature on the fuse/contactor, stator and rotor is the main issues.

I have done some logging driving 0-250 kph. Battery cell temp did only go from 30 to 34 degree Celsius. Inverter only from 34-36. But stator did go from 42 to 115. Rotor temp I cant log but think that is even more.
Also the contactor/fuses I cant log any temp on. But it does also get very warm as is did melt shut and the car did go into limp mode after some high speed autobahn crusing at 230-250 kph over time.
This is on a P85D without Ludicrous. I know many that have melted they fuse/contactor to and one is on his third. The old melting fuses are just not good enough for high power and high speed driving.

Tesla-powered Electric GT shows its track-ready Model S ahead of championship

I've never been one to be interested in other peoples benchmarks or performance trophies. I have my own benchmarks.

The primary benchmark that I've always been enamored with is the 0-60 time of a car. I'll be able to enjoy 0-60 times much more often then top speed times. Especially in a rural city's suburbs. I can get to 0-60 anytime I wish without violating the law. I'll just get to 60 much faster than I normally would.

Apparently the stator cooling is insufficient and requires higher pump pressure. To cool the rotor you could blast outside air thru the motor. To do these would not make it a 'different car'(?).

I wonder if a permanent magnet rotor would heat up less than the imbedded coil type. But that would require a whole new type of motor and inverter/controller etc.
--

Apparently the stator cooling is insufficient and requires higher pump pressure. To cool the rotor you could blast outside air thru the motor. To do these would not make it a 'different car'(?).

I wonder if a permanent magnet rotor would heat up less than the imbedded coil type. But that would require a whole new type of motor and inverter/controller etc.
--
Why is it apparent? What's wrong with it's cooling? I don't see Teslas broken down on the side of the road with cooling problems.

Why is it apparent? What's wrong with it's cooling? I don't see Teslas broken down on the side of the road with cooling problems.

Because Tesla limit the power before the heat breaks the motor so it should not happen and you guys in the US drive slow maybe ;) The contactor/fuse have still melted on many Model s and the car have stopped on the side of the road with no power. On my and a friends P85D it has melted one time already. And I know of one that have it replaced three times now.

When driving on the autobahn at high speed you will hit the power limit every day.

The ludicrous battery are much better. The old melt fuse is really bad when the car is driven with high power over time.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bhzmark and Cloxxki