Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Panoramic Roof Sun Shades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dumb Question - with those shades on, if you wish to open the sunroof, do you first manually take the shades down first?
If yes, then where do you store the shades, and thats a bit like having a manual sunroof, isn't it? I mean I see why you'd want the shades, but isn't it very inconvenient to manually remove the shades if you use the sunroof often?

Dumb Question - with those shades on, if you wish to open the sunroof, do you first manually take the shades down first?
If yes, then where do you store the shades, and thats a bit like having a manual sunroof, isn't it? I mean I see why you'd want the shades, but isn't it very inconvenient to manually remove the shades if you use the sunroof often?

I find the hatch shade a bit to dark for me, so I don't use it. I do use the Panoramic roof shade all the time, I haven't taken it out since I put it in place about 4 months ago. It takes some of the heat of the sun off me and my central console. It also protects me from any debris like stinging bugs that hit the buffeting screen, etc.. It stays nice and secure and handles opening and closing 100% at all legal highway speeds I tried up to 80 mph in South Dakota.

Oh OK. I was going to Tint the hatch with Llumar or Winco 15. So no need Shade there for me.

Seeing how you live in CA I'd recommend 3M crystalline or Photosync. Crystalline only goes to 40%, but you can do 35% with Photosync (this is also black, 3M@40% is brownish). Obviously not as dark as 15%, but the heat difference is worth the price and the extra light. I have 50% crystalline on all windows of my Mercedes, 75% on the sunroof, and 75% on the windshield. I used to have to keep the sunroof closed because it burned me, but now I don't even notice the heat, my arms don't get scorched, and my A/C doesn't work nearly as hard. I rarely have to use the sunshade on the Mercedes, and if I had done 35% I'd never have to use it.

Oh OK. I was going to Tint the hatch with Llumar or Winco 15. So no need Shade there for me.

If you have the 3rd row I would recommend both tint and trunk shade to keep either 2-legged or 4-legged "children" cooler. I don't have the 3rd row and still do both.
image.jpg

How is it that I didn't hear about these pano shades before? I spend way too much of my time on TMC as it is... :biggrin:

Since my September 2012 Sig S has pano shades on the due bill (they were originally promised as 'standard' equipment on the Signature cars), am I due a set of these without charge? Have any Signature owners tried hitting up Tesla for this?

stevezzzz, I had the same issue with TM and made a big issue out of it, not only on my due bill, but also in an email. If you want to PM, I can share more about how I resolved it.

Since my September 2012 Sig S has pano shades on the due bill (they were originally promised as 'standard' equipment on the Signature cars), am I due a set of these without charge? Have any Signature owners tried hitting up Tesla for this?

You just have to ask for them. Mine's not a signature, but was purchased when "removable sun shades" were on the specs page. I purchased them and Tesla gave me a refund.

I find the hatch shade a bit to dark for me, so I don't use it. I do use the Panoramic roof shade all the time, I haven't taken it out since I put it in place about 4 months ago. It takes some of the heat of the sun off me and my central console. It also protects me from any debris like stinging bugs that hit the buffeting screen, etc.. It stays nice and secure and handles opening and closing 100% at all legal highway speeds I tried up to 80 mph in South Dakota.

Awesome thanks! :)