Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Brakes Are Terrible!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recall that the OLD STOCK Plaid brakes, stopped 5 feet SHORTER than the Porsche Taycan sedan from 70 mph.

1696274737408.png

and now, a new bit of anecdata from youtubers who tested the Track Pack brakes find that the Plaid track pack brakes stopped about 5 feet longer than the HEAVIER Taycan Turismo from 100 mph.

1696275048210.png

Of course not surprising since cold/warm stops may be a little worse with pads that have a much higher operating temp range. They didn't test the Track Pack brakes where they belong, on the track.

Reactions: NeuroRad
Recall that the OLD STOCK Plaid brakes, stopped 5 feet SHORTER than the Porsche Taycan sedan from 70 mph.

View attachment 979040

and now, a new bit of anecdata from youtubers who tested the Track Pack brakes find that the Plaid track pack brakes stopped about 5 feet longer than the HEAVIER Taycan Turismo from 100 mph.

View attachment 979041

Of course not surprising since cold/warm stops may be a little worse with pads that have a much higher operating temp range. They didn't test the Track Pack brakes where they belong, on the track.

I watched through the vid earlier. Both the acceleration test and braking were done in the wet. This kept the other cars pretty close initially in acceleration. In the vids you can even see the wheel slippage on the Porsche and Audi off the line. If they are slipping you know the Plaid had to really dial it back.

Not to mention the guy driving the Plaid was the head of AutoTrader. He didn't look to have ever made a full throttle pass in any car, let alone a Plaid. He definitely looked gun shy. Not to mention I am sure how he braked wasn't much better than acceleration. Not sure he went hard enough on the brakes.

So basically I wouldn't put much faith into this test. I'd really want to know what tires all the cars are running on.

Reactions: impastu