Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hoping they get some software bugs fixed for sure and production issues. In reading on Facebook it seems new owners over last month have encountered things like: (examples copied)

• Picked it up today and the touch screen “stalk” doesn’t work properly and theater mode is totally white.
  • My cameras took 250 miles to calibrate, one tire pressure sensor died, and there’s a squeak behind the screen.
  • passengers cannot open their doors once the driver door is shut.
  • my stability, auto steer, regenerative braking is all disabled on mine
  • ... but it had 4 scratches in it. It took them a month to repaint.
  • front window camera mount is misaligned and need to be replaced.
  • dead fobs in a week (software issue)?
  • ...+ all the other issues in here and missing software features

• Informative
Reactions: GroovaEV and jebinc
I'm hoping they get some software bugs fixed for sure and production issues. In reading on Facebook it seems new owners over last month have encountered things like: (examples copied)

• Picked it up today and the touch screen “stalk” doesn’t work properly and theater mode is totally white.
  • My cameras took 250 miles to calibrate, one tire pressure sensor died, and there’s a squeak behind the screen.

Christ

C) The audio quality is horrendous in weird ways. I am not an audiophile by any means but the quality when playing music makes you wonder this is "premium sound"? Ironically the navigation voice sounds amazing. For music it seems like only two speakers are used or something. My phone speakers in my pocket sounds better. The basic sound config menu for bass/fade/ etc are all centered. Is there a more advanced menu for finer grain speaker control? Any ideas on a method to test and note music sound quality to compare to other cars to see if we have an issue?
As a quick follow up to this I tested some WAV files and as expected quality is much improved without compression loss of other media types. This makes me feel like hardware wise nothing is wrong with the sound however there is certainly an oddity potentially in software. Even with the WAV files there is some combination of events that occurs where the sound degrades to what sounds like front speakers only enabled. It remains stuck like this until swapping audio inputs or I found if I go to the advanced speaker sound orientation settings and slide it around front to rear and left to right and then set it back to centered it sticks. Wonder what makes it loose the centered setting.

• Informative
Reactions: omarsultan
As a quick follow up to this I tested some WAV files and as expected quality is much improved without compression loss of other media types. This makes me feel like hardware wise nothing is wrong with the sound however there is certainly an oddity potentially in software. Even with the WAV files there is some combination of events that occurs where the sound degrades to what sounds like front speakers only enabled. It remains stuck like this until swapping audio inputs or I found if I go to the advanced speaker sound orientation settings and slide it around front to rear and left to right and then set it back to centered it sticks. Wonder what makes it loose the centered setting.
I wonder if the unimplemented ANC is causing an issue--some rogue code--does this happen when the car is stationary or when driving?

A month to repaint?? Damn!

Feeling reflective today:
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all. - Tennyson
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's yours forever.
If it doesn't, then it was never meant to be. - Unknown

Contessa has been at the body shop since 6/28, and today I received the message that they are waiting on a part that won't arrive until 8/10. I hope that's not Elon-time.

Plus, after reading through several of these posts makes me realize I'm going to need to do a second look-over when (not if, right?) she comes back to me.

{sigh}

Reactions: Tigers and Zaker89
Plaid in for PPF, the entire trunk is misaligned.

EBF1B7BF-6532-4E87-8631-371ED9E9AB9D.jpeg

Reactions: jebinc and MattMac
I sold my MSP about ten days after driving it. That said, I had some issues:
  • Sliding door on center console would not stay open/always slid shut
  • No way to view Sentry video in car
  • Wall charger would not open the charge port (I think it's car related, as it worked on my prior MX)
  • Back trunk removable lid did not fit evenly
  • Driver side mirror shook, while passenger side did not

I sold my MSP about ten days after driving it. That said, I had some issues:
  • Sliding door on center console would not stay open/always slid shut
  • No way to view Sentry video in car
  • Wall charger would not open the charge port (I think it's car related, as it worked on my prior MX)
  • Back trunk removable lid did not fit evenly
  • Driver side mirror shook, while passenger side did not
What led you to sell it?

What led you to sell it?
It was a combination of things, but the primary reason was the size/height. I drove a MS from 2012-2018. Switched to MX in early 2018. Best car I ever owned, but started having buggy software issues. Early 2021 sold with the intention of getting a new (and cheaper) one. Around the time I sold, I became aware of refresh, but initial reason to sell was simply to buy a new one that would be cheaper to own with updated MCU, etc.

Sold MX in January, thinking I'd be in a new MX shortly after. You know the rest of the story. Meanwhile, got antsy and decided to buy MSP because I could get my hands on it by June. Rationale was that I loved it before, and I'll love it again. After driving it for about a week, I started to realize that I very much preferred getting in an out of the MX. It was too much work to squat and rotate every time I got in and out of the MSP. I also realized how much I preferred the view from sitting up higher in the MX.

If I absolutely loved the MSP, I could have compromised on some of this. That said, I was somewhat annoyed by the yoke and stalkless driving that I found it hard to justify "settling" when I already started to realize I preferred the MX height.

I have an order and a MX. I will also be somewhat annoyed by the yoke and stalkless driving on the MX when I get it. But, I will otherwise have exactly what I want in terms of height. I have even considered finding and buying a 2020 used MX. Still am. I don't love the yoke and stalkless driving. On the other hand, I feel like I'd kick myself when some new hypothetical driving experience becomes available only for cars with the latest hardware, etc. I don't care about FSD, but I'd be paranoid that I may miss out on something if a bought a 2020 model. Silly, I know. Still mulling it over.

• Informative
Reactions: Dayreg
It was a combination of things, but the primary reason was the size/height. I drove a MS from 2012-2018. Switched to MX in early 2018. Best car I ever owned, but started having buggy software issues. Early 2021 sold with the intention of getting a new (and cheaper) one. Around the time I sold, I became aware of refresh, but initial reason to sell was simply to buy a new one that would be cheaper to own with updated MCU, etc.

Sold MX in January, thinking I'd be in a new MX shortly after. You know the rest of the story. Meanwhile, got antsy and decided to buy MSP because I could get my hands on it by June. Rationale was that I loved it before, and I'll love it again. After driving it for about a week, I started to realize that I very much preferred getting in an out of the MX. It was too much work to squat and rotate every time I got in and out of the MSP. I also realized how much I preferred the view from sitting up higher in the MX.

If I absolutely loved the MSP, I could have compromised on some of this. That said, I was somewhat annoyed by the yoke and stalkless driving that I found it hard to justify "settling" when I already started to realize I preferred the MX height.

I have an order and a MX. I will also be somewhat annoyed by the yoke and stalkless driving on the MX when I get it. But, I will otherwise have exactly what I want in terms of height. I have even considered finding and buying a 2020 used MX. Still am. I don't love the yoke and stalkless driving. On the other hand, I feel like I'd kick myself when some new hypothetical driving experience becomes available only for cars with the latest hardware, etc. I don't care about FSD, but I'd be paranoid that I may miss out on something if a bought a 2020 model. Silly, I know. Still mulling it over.
Makes sense, the space in the MX is incredible (so are the auto doors - not sure why they don’t offer that on the MS). For me, the yolk isn’t as bad as I feared, even for making fast 3+ point turns. After just a few days I realized key is using your palm rather than gripping hand over hand style. Good luck on the MX, hopefully you’ll get it by the end of the year!! 🤞

Reactions: jbrowdy

Makes sense, the space in the MX is incredible (so are the auto doors - not sure why they don’t offer that on the MS). For me, the yolk isn’t as bad as I feared, even for making fast 3+ point turns. After just a few days I realized key is using your palm rather than gripping hand over hand style. Good luck on the MX, hopefully you’ll get it by the end of the year!! 🤞

Agree that MX is the best car ever. Great interior space, auto doors and falcon wings are super useful - especially if you have kids (don’t know if I can go back to regular doors), of course doesn’t drive as well as the MS, but still great and really does things a SUV shouldn’t (including the way it accelerates and takes turns). Would definitely consider getting a refresh MX if ever needed to replace current one.

Has anyone gotten their HomeLink to work successfully? 75+% of the time it starts to open my garage and then closes it again a second later. It’s so annoying! No issues with my HomeLink 2019 Model 3 for 2.5 years, and now I have to bring a garage door opener in the car again… 😞

Reactions: Desert Dave