Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid (plus??) sets quarter mile time of 9.247 Sec (unofficially)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surprised this hasn't been reported on here yet. I searched and saw nothing. If duplicate post, I apologize.

Was listening to the Spike's Car Radio Podcast yesterday. He's friends with Jay Leno and Jay called in while he was recording. They were talking EV's and Jay, who is a big Tesla fan, had some interesting things to say. Including the fact that he had driven, at Frmoso Raceway in Bakersfield CA, a Model S "Plaid", to a quarter mile time of 9.247 seconds at 152.09 MPH.

I mean, damn.

I suspect this was a Plaid Plus. But it sounded from the Podcast that Jay had been given the car, and he just drove it on up and did this time on the first pass. He said there were NHRA officials there to make it an official time. But I haven't seen anything posted yet.

That's ludicrous. Excuse me. Plaid.

Reactions: aerodyne and All In
Surprised this hasn't been reported on here yet. I searched and saw nothing. If duplicate post, I apologize.

Was listening to the Spike's Car Radio Podcast yesterday. He's friends with Jay Leno and Jay called in while he was recording. They were talking EV's and Jay, who is a big Tesla fan, had some interesting things to say. Including the fact that he had driven, at Frmoso Raceway in Bakersfield CA, a Model S "Plaid", to a quarter mile time of 9.247 seconds at 152.09 MPH.

I mean, damn.

I suspect this was a Plaid Plus. But it sounded from the Podcast that Jay had been given the car, and he just drove it on up and did this time on the first pass. He said there were NHRA officials there to make it an official time. But I haven't seen anything posted yet.

You know whats funny...that is a slower time than what Tesla has on their official website for the Plaid model. It now says 9.23s at 155mph. Wow.

I believe an actual run from someone knowledgeable way more than what Tesla lists on their website.

A 9 second car is ridiculous. At most racetracks, that would get you kicked off for not having a cage.

I haven't seen a time on Tesla's website that hasn't been matched independently by other owners so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Usually manufacturers list times that has actually been achieved by one of their production cars. I wonder if they can give Model 3 Performance owners a little more juice now that there is such a sizeable performance difference between the high end Model S and Model 3....i'm just hoping :D

Surprised this hasn't been reported on here yet. I searched and saw nothing. If duplicate post, I apologize...

I posted this link on it over at rennlist a couple weeks ago. But neither you nor anyone else commented on it. :D

Last edited:

I mean, damn.

9.23 is not a Plaid Plus. It has been on Tesla's website for the entire year that the regular Plaid is a 9.23 1/4 mile time, while the Plaid Plus is a sub 9 second 1/4 mile time. I don't understand why this is so difficult for people to find.

It's interesting that there is no mention of the Lucid Air's 9.245. Being that neither the latest MS or the Air are yet production cars, I'd say that makes them even, but that doesn't make headlines.
Probably because:

"This is a pure development mule for the tri-motor configuration that has been referenced in the past by Peter [Rawlinson, Lucid CEO]. In fact, it's the first one we've built with this configuration, and it didn't exist three months ago. Like some other of our beta prototypes that we've built with the dual-motor configuration, it does not have a full interior. Lastly, the car made the quarter-mile run with street-legal Pirelli Trofeos."

Reactions: MagnusMako
9.23 is not a Plaid Plus. It has been on Tesla's website for the entire year that the regular Plaid is a 9.23 1/4 mile time, while the Plaid Plus is a sub 9 second 1/4 mile time. I don't understand why this is so difficult for people to find.

Probably because Tesla has a long history of playing fast and loose with the truth and IDGAF what they say, until I see it in person tested by real people, it's vaporware.

Warning: Running 9s and 150mph on a strip will get you banned. You must have a license, full cage, parachute, ...etc...

"The Model S Plaid zips down the quarter mile in a staggeringly quick 9.25 seconds at 152.6 mph. The run from 0 to 60 mph happens just 1.98 seconds after the brutally hard launch."

Reactions: bhzmark
Warning: Running 9s and 150mph on a track will get you banned. You must have a license, full cage, parachute, ...etc...

"The Model S Plaid zips down the quarter mile in a staggeringly quick 9.25 seconds at 152.6 mph. The run from 0 to 60 mph happens just 1.98 seconds after the brutally hard launch."

With the exception of some tracks which allow private rental so you don't have to have any of that - and it is typically quite expensive to do so. But it is exactly what Brooks from Dragtimes does and is why we'll be seeing a full video review and plenty of races with the Plaid S as soon as his delivers.

Last edited:
I'm also looking forward to what Dragtimes has in store, but renting a strip is expensive.... 🤣😂😅😆

Try service and maintenance on a gasser hypercar after racing on a track, launching a few times on a strip, or a top-speed run. The guys with $1M+ vehicles are likely loaded and might not care too much as they understand, but $10k+ maintenance bills are kind of brutal for normal people.

I don't think S Plaid owners are going to incur huge service and maintenance bills. Drive your S Plaid the strip/track, race, and drive right back back home.

With the exception of some tracks which allow private rental so you don't have to have any of that - though it is typically quite expensive to do so. But it is exactly what Brooks from Dragtimes does and is why we'll be seeing a full video review and plenty of races with the Plaid S as soon as his delivers.