Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Track Package Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really sure where you're going with that statement. You claim I don't know what I was talking about about, even though I have used equipment to measure all three variations of the Tesla spec PS4S.

Additionally, I've measured T0 spec PSS for the front (the tire profile I prefer over PS4S). Along with the 21" Goodyear F1 NA0, and 21" pirelli pz4 NA0 (my current favorite).

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to go with my personal testing over someone's 'I don't need to measure anything, because I just know'
Chill Ms Cleo chill.

Any garage monkey can deduce that there’s much more to assessing tire construction and perf characteristics than a poke test.

My personal ps4s obs only. Maybe it’s the weight. Maybe it’s different compounds used. The T2s are a wonderful, stickier street tire compared to the non oem spec I’ve run in other cars I’ve owned.

Ps can you pls do me a favor and do your stick test on the bmw g80 star PS4s?

Last edited:
Chill Ms Cleo chill.

Any garage monkey can deduce that there’s much more to assessing tire construction and perf characteristics than a poke test.

My personal ps4s obs only. Maybe it’s the weight. Maybe it’s different compounds used. The T2s are a wonderful, stickier street tire compared to the non oem spec I’ve run in other cars I’ve owned.

Ps can you pls do me a favor and do your stick test on the bmw g80 star PS4s?
The composition of the tire compounds is detectable with a durometer. In your words, using a dumb stick test, going across the tread watching the levels on the meter change. I can easily prove your statement about t2's being "extra sticky" completely false, with ease.

The reason the T spec tires pick up more material is because the sipes are designed differently to decrease rolling resistance to help with EPA range ratings. Range is also one of the reasons why T spec tires have 1mm less tread depth than white label PS4S, more tread = more resistance, less weight on the tire = more efficiency. The T spec PS4S also have wider tread than white label PS4S do as well so the profile is more blocky in this specific instance.

Your "trust me bro, the T2 stands for extra sticky" doesn't replace factual data. Especially when you're trying to compare tires on two completely different platforms and are making statements from pure conjecture.

Reactions: NeuroRad
Is durometer the right thing to measure in this case? Obviously there's a lot more to tire compound than just how stiff they are.
Yes, it's as dependable of a test as you can do without having a lab analysis done. Durometers are what we use at the race track to gauge tire softness for whatever guidelines apply to that race. You're not going to find similar purpose tires that gauge at 90 that is more sticky than a tire that gauges at 40, it's simply not going to happen. To his specific point, he said that T2 tires are "extra sticky" They gauge identical to T0 & T1 all the way across, with minimal changes to the width of the bands where the tire changes between softer and harder compounds.

Yes, it's as dependable of a test as you can do without having a lab analysis done.
I don't have personal experience with either tire. But if there's truly a measurable difference in the amount of road debris sticking to the T2 tires despite same/similar durometer results - sounds like that lab analysis is exactly what you'd need to make the determination as to why they behave differently.

The composition of the tire compounds is detectable with a durometer. In your words, using a dumb stick test, going across the tread watching the levels on the meter change. I can easily prove your statement about t2's being "extra sticky" completely false, with ease.

The reason the T spec tires pick up more material is because the sipes are designed differently to decrease rolling resistance to help with EPA range ratings. Range is also one of the reasons why T spec tires have 1mm less tread depth than white label PS4S, more tread = more resistance, less weight on the tire = more efficiency. The T spec PS4S also have wider tread than white label PS4S do as well so the profile is more blocky in this specific instance.

Your "trust me bro, the T2 stands for extra sticky" doesn't replace factual data. Especially when you're trying to compare tires on two completely different platforms and are making statements from pure conjecture.
You can pound on your keyboard and stick poke at your rubber collection all day, but without actual objective data to stake claim that the t2s are no different performing tires than non t2s is Ms Cleo inane.

Car forum engineer flex. 🤣 But hey maybe he is a Michelin tire tester. 🤷🏻

I'm not shocked at all that Tesla is no Toyota or amazon.com with managing online parts sourcing and timely delivery.

Sourcing individual parts like the rear calipers post-TP purchase has also been a bit of a wild goose chase (shock of the century). I can't imagine the hoops non-US customers will have to go through.
  • 1420645-10-C (rear left) and 1420646-10-C (rear right) were quoted at $340 each at my local TSC
  • Given the surprisingly cheap caliper quote, I'm not 100% confident that the part #s are valid so trying to reference as also provided by @Awiner (thx dude)
  • TSC rep couldn't forthrightly advise that calipers are sold individually so need to check/wait on that
  • TSC rep couldn't find the TP brake fluid part # in the system
If Tesla forces TP owners to buy the entire $15K bundle to get access to TP parts, that's hwy robbery. For certain the MSP will be my first and last Tesla should this be the case.

I'll be patient, though. I half expected this based on all that I've read here.
Hi bro,

If I want to buy
  • 1420645-00-A (rear left) and 1420646-00-A (rear right)
  • Where I can find these calipers
All the best
calipers

You can pound on your keyboard and stick poke at your rubber collection all day, but without actual objective data to stake claim that the t2s are no different performing tires than non t2s is Ms Cleo inane.

Car forum engineer flex. 🤣 But hey maybe he is a Michelin tire tester. 🤷🏻

Ok, you made the claim they are "extra sticky". What empirical evidence is used to make that determination? Because I have data that disproves your 'trust me bro' claims.

I don't have personal experience with either tire. But if there's truly a measurable difference in the amount of road debris sticking to the T2 tires despite same/similar durometer results - sounds like that lab analysis is exactly what you'd need to make the determination as to why they behave differently.
There's not an excess amount of debris being picked up by a t2 tire. I'd be willing to bet $1k that he has not ran anything other than a t2 on his Tesla so he has absolutely nothing to compare it to.

People like to make claims and not have any supporting evidence, then say it's the other person's responsibility to prove their claim incorrect. That's not the way it works. If you've noticed, I posted pics of 3 different types of the 21 tires, showing I've personally had them. He's posted nothing other than a statement about how his Tesla tires pick up more debris than his tires on a different car. Which is kind of like saying you can throw a football further than you can hit a baseball with a bat, because you played chess in college once.

Ok, you made the claim they are "extra sticky". What empirical evidence is used to make that determination? Because I have data that disproves your 'trust me bro' claims.
I never claimed to have any empirical evidence yet you bring in your stick game from your keyboard pounding pulpit with ego pics of your rubber collection as if it’s PS4S gospel.

You egotistical forum engineering types run rampant online. What’s absolute fact is neither you or I have access to Michelin and Tesla’s technical and testing docs to bring actual worthwhile data to the table.

Keep preaching from your tire patch. If you have access do share. And you’ve yet to respond to doing your stick test on the g80 tire. Pretty please?

Last edited:
I have The Original Carbon Guards mudflaps and they are useless. Look decent, but way too narrow to be of any use.
The ones I'm making are about as good as you can get without looking utilitarian. They'll be able to be pivoted around the grommet to go further out at the top or bottom, whichever area you need more protection from depending on the tire.

Reactions: brooklyn