Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doubt there will be any HUD since it never really caught on in the late 80s. But in order to get the performance and incredibly high phase amps needed for Plaid they will need a revamped battery pack for sure. I expect they will consolidate the current 16 modules down to 5 or 6 larger ones vastly improving cooling that'll be needed with a high output 18650 cells similar to the 30Q or the VTC6. Ive built bike packs with both cells and they definitely pack a punch albeit at a reduced lifespan compared to high drain cells. 2170 cells from the Model 3/Y don't really provide a big enough advantage to retool entire module/ pack lines for the 2170 form factor (yet).

Lastly, I believe there we still be a Long Range and Performance Model S with the addition of a Model S Track Mode Variant. As any car that runs the ring at the reported numbers will indeed compromise daily driving to some extent (mainly in suspension, less sound dampening and creature comforts).

Im interested to find out how they are going to be cooling the motor stators so much better as that seems to be what heat soaks first on repeated runs for me.

I wish I could find tesla.com pages that detail the differences on Plaid. Specifics on the motors, cooling, suspension, Track Mode?, etc. I haven't had much luck yet.

The design studio has it and the total price is roughly in the same ballpark as my P100D was at the end of 2016 -- which is a phenomenal improvement (IMO) in value given the tech advances of 4 years.

Still hard to get a feel for how it will feel on the track vs. M3P. For example, is the S weight improved at all? (Suspect not.) Is the new stock suspension more capable than the P100D was? Do the battery cooling advances in M3P translate to the S (and to what degree)? Will I burn through the stock brakes in one track weekend still -- even for 3/10 driving aggressiveness? Etc.

...weight improved at all?...

It sounds like the battery cell will be new larger design 46mm x 80 mm (the biggest Tesla cell in use now is 21 mm x 70 mm). I further suspect that they would implement what they said about battery pack would become the car's structure itself. That would significantly reduce the weight too.

If that is the case, the battery will be more concentrated toward the center of the car and leaving more free spaces from the sides. As Elon explained when an ice skater moves her arm toward the center, she can spin faster and it'll be the same with your car that you'll just feel better handling!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
It sounds like the battery cell will be new larger design 46mm x 80 mm (the biggest Tesla cell in use now is 21 mm x 70 mm). I further suspect that they would implement what they said about battery pack would become the car's structure itself. That would significantly reduce the weight too.

If that is the case, the battery will be more concentrated toward the center of the car and leaving more free spaces from the sides. As Elon explained when an ice skater moves her arm toward the center, she can spin faster and it'll be the same with your car that you'll just feel better handling!
What I heard was 2023. The Plaid starts deliveries in 2021. That suggest to me it (2021 S Plaid) won't have the new cells or new structure changes.

I wish I could find tesla.com pages that detail the differences on Plaid. Specifics on the motors, cooling, suspension, Track Mode?, etc. I haven't had much luck yet.

The design studio has it and the total price is roughly in the same ballpark as my P100D was at the end of 2016 -- which is a phenomenal improvement (IMO) in value given the tech advances of 4 years.

Still hard to get a feel for how it will feel on the track vs. M3P. For example, is the S weight improved at all? (Suspect not.) Is the new stock suspension more capable than the P100D was? Do the battery cooling advances in M3P translate to the S (and to what degree)? Will I burn through the stock brakes in one track weekend still -- even for 3/10 driving aggressiveness? Etc.
I have the similar concern. Don’t believe the current S with only powertrain swap can reach 1:30 on Laguna Seca. The Nurburgring one has a ton of custom modifications, like carbon ceramic brakes and wide body with huge opening...
If this is a preorder page like cybertruck and roadster 2, I will be more confident and assume more options are going to appear before delivery. Currently it looks like only a powertrain swap.