Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S: podcast problems - 192kbps limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pavie

Oct 11, 2016
USA
Tesla S has forever been displaying "failed to connect" errors when attempting to play many popular podcasts. After multiple complaints and upgrade attempts the NAService desk finally confessed that there is an apparent limit of 192kbps on any stream and suggested a "workaround" of using my phone instead (?!?!).

I am aware of the phone option (and it is what I do with any rental car but is not what one should have to do with a Tesla:) and have been using it when absolutely necessary. However:
  1. Tesla should fess up to the bug (or bad contract with AT&T or whatever the true root cause is)
  2. Should display a real message (e.g. "sorry - this stream is of high quality which we do not support" or "we do not support this podcast/stream," instead of a cryptic "connection error" message
  3. Tesla should NOT recommend the phone workaround. Anybody who has tried accessing an iPhone in the standard holder (lucky if the charger port actually slip in to connect...) knows that it's very awkward and outright dangerous. It might not be so if say CarPlay were supported but that's another story...
TSLA - please fix this.

Anybody else got the same response?

Reactions: RedP85+
Out of curiosity, do you have the Ultra Hi-Fi Sound System (Premium Sound) option? I noticed that they market "High bitrate Streaming" with this option, but have yet to figure out exactly what it means. Maybe you're running up against that limitation?
I have the Premium Sound and get this problem all the time. It is really starting to bug me. Especially because it seems that I have to reboot the computer just to listen to a different podcast that I was listening to just before I got the error on the new podcast.

Tesla S has forever been displaying "failed to connect" errors when attempting to play many popular podcasts. After multiple complaints and upgrade attempts the NAService desk finally confessed that there is an apparent limit of 192kbps on any stream and suggested a "workaround" of using my phone instead (?!?!).

{SNIP}

Anybody else got the same response?

Yes, repeatedly. My service guys said that the streaming service no longer subscribed to many of the streams. An odd answer given the podcast showed as an option. Edit-regular sound option.