Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S potential buyers - what are you waiting for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you guys seen the reviews on the new E class? Sure it has an ICE, but its valid competition for the MS and its autonomous driving has surpassed Teslas, not to mention other tech you can option.
How has it surpassed Tesla's auto pilot? Everything I've read leads me to believe that Tesla's autopilot is the best out there. I have not driven the new E class so I can't compare it.

That does look cool. But here is the thing for me... I could stretch to purchase either. With the Tesla, I can argue the "green" side of the purchase when people ask about the cost. With the Benz, well, not so much. Now, if they can just provide the 360 birds-eye view to help the parking in my cramped spaces, I'm in.

That does look cool. But here is the thing for me... I could stretch to purchase either. With the Tesla, I can argue the "green" side of the purchase when people ask about the cost. With the Benz, well, not so much. Now, if they can just provide the 360 birds-eye view to help the parking in my cramped spaces, I'm in.
In Germany and probably most of Europe stretching looks a bit different...

E-Class: Euro 45.303

Model S 70: 78.000 € (D: 83.500 €)

For that, you need to wait for AP2 (maybe)? Tesla is just stingy with hardware sensors:frown:

Now, if they can just provide the 360 birds-eye view to help the parking in my cramped spaces, I'm in.
The Model S parking sensors that have been available since 2013 make parking the car easy. I have relied on them and trusted them for over 2 years now and they have never let me down (note that my S does not have the additional side facing sensors that became standard on all cars after late September 2014).
In my opinion, a 360 degree camera view is not needed for safe parking. If that lack is causing you to wait before buying a Tesla, I think you are making a mistake. Buy the car now and start enjoying it rather than waiting for a feature that Telsa has not committed to offering.
Some perspective: until rather recently we all used to park our cars without any sensors at all...

Benz autopilot

It's not for sale yet but here is a link
2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class First Drive
Besides the writer's suggestion that in his personal opinion the Benz AP is better, Benz will ship production software, not "beta". While there are many posts here about how well the Tesla AP is working, there is something not quite right about putting such critical software into circulation as a "beta".

I'm assuming the "beta" designation and the fine print relieves Tesla of all responsibility if the MS AP kills somebody or wrecks your car. I wonder what our insurance policies say about using beta s/w? If we're using the Tesla AP and we're involved in an accident, causing ourselves or someone else major injury or worse, do both the insurance companies and Tesla just walk away, leaving the Tesla owner with all the liability? I'll contact my insurance company and see what they say.

Last edited:
there is something not quite right about putting such critical software into circulation as a "beta".

Critical software? Really? Let's not forget that before cruise control, parking sensors, autopilot, drivers actually had to take responsibility for their actions. Not sure HOW you can argue that parking sensors or the 360 view is "critical software" as neither had been used up until about 3 years ago and we all drove just fine. Let's not forget that there is a certain amount of personal accountability that remains with the driver.

The Model S parking sensors that have been available since 2013 make parking the car easy. I have relied on them and trusted them for over 2 years now and they have never let me down (note that my S does not have the additional side facing sensors that became standard on all cars after late September 2014).
In my opinion, a 360 degree camera view is not needed for safe parking. If that lack is causing you to wait before buying a Tesla, I think you are making a mistake. Buy the car now and start enjoying it rather than waiting for a feature that Telsa has not committed to offering.
Some perspective: until rather recently we all used to park our cars without any sensors at all...

Yup, I know. I just have a very awkward driveway and garage. Park about 4" from the wall and typically drive a 330ci which is much smaller. I have tape marks on the garage floor marking where the tires should end up and I watch carefully through the mirrors while backing in.

I borrowed a model s. I could get the car parked, but it was more stressful and took more time. Of course, some of it was stress over damaging a loaner!

then I ended up with a Ford Explorer rental for a few days. I found I could park it very easy, even though it is similar in size to the Model S. It has front and back cameras.

My ideal size car is the Model 3. But I do like the larger S (perhaps because I am getting old). My plan is a Model 3, but if they add to the stingy sensor suite on the MS I'll just jump in.

Critical software? Really? Let's not forget that before cruise control, parking sensors, autopilot, drivers actually had to take responsibility for their actions. Not sure HOW you can argue that parking sensors or the 360 view is "critical software" as neither had been used up until about 3 years ago and we all drove just fine. Let's not forget that there is a certain amount of personal accountability that remains with the driver.
I think you have me confused with someone else. I mentioned the AP s/w, but have never raised any issue regarding the parking sensors or 360 view.

Oh and a true premium sound system for $2500. Those who have both X and S say the X's UHD sound is much better than the S's yet the option costs the same. $2500 for the current UHD in the S is a joke and I mentioned it in the feedback of my test drive.

I never buy UHD from car maker. After market has better value.

Also has more PITA factor. I got the UHFS only because I didn't want to buy a new car, then drill a hole in it to install the NVX woofer. I'm sure it sounds better, but there is a time/PITA factor that I just buried in the price of the car. FWIW, this was the LAST option I selected on the car - after SAS.

Also has more PITA factor. I got the UHFS only because I didn't want to buy a new car, then drill a hole in it to install the NVX woofer. I'm sure it sounds better, but there is a time/PITA factor that I just buried in the price of the car. FWIW, this was the LAST option I selected on the car - after SAS.

My installer didn't need to drill holes so I might move it to my next vehicle. I can't validate the claims that it sounds better than UHFS but it does sound great.

While I won't be as direct as calisnow was, I would echo the sentiment that if you were to base any purchasing decisions off of this forum alone you'd likely never buy the car. I live in the Hollywood Hills and am surrounded by people with too much time and too much money. You'd think these would be the happiest people in the world but joining our neighborhood Facebook page exposes you to limitless complaining about trivial bullpoop. People using gas leaf blowers instead of electric, people adding on to their houses, too much noise, not enough noise. I joke with my wife that I never knew all the things about our neighborhood I should be mad about until I joined it's Facebook page.

It's the same with these forums. You have no idea all the different things you should be enraged over (mini-car in the instrument cluster) until you hop on these forums and have a look around. In all actuality, while the car does have some annoyances, living with it in real life does a pretty good job of making all but the most serious problems seem trivial. I have a laundry list of small stuff that bothers me about my Model S but coming from a BMW that had none of those same issues, I'll take the Tesla and it's issues over over any of my BMWs any day of the week and I'm a man that LOVES his BMWs. :)

Oh my the privelged lead such oppressed lives. And that's most of we Tesla owners.