Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S potential buyers - what are you waiting for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not a rhetorical question. I have an BMW i3 and I'd like to dump my "long range" Mercedes diesel and purchase a Model S. I've resolved my "long range anxiety" and come to peace with the supercharger network and destination chargers. But I'm not ready to make the purchase decision.

My current concerns are:

- After four years, the Model S is due for a style update.
- P90D owners are reporting range well below the rated range and being told it's a s/w problem.
- These threads are full of the niggling problems that should not still exist in a four year old platform (e.g., audio app, nav program, display auto -dimming, etc.).

This is a car, it should work reliably. All the time. I don't like the idea of "release X.x broke Y, but they say they will fix it in X.xx. Soon....". Shades of Microsoft.

Is anyone else lurking or posting in this forum who is waiting to make the buy decision? If so, what are you waiting for? What does Tesla need to do to make the sale?

Last edited:
I've been waiting for LED headlights and ventilated seats, and now the P100D. I'd also like to see more comfortable seats with adjustable headrests. The back seat headrest is uncomfortable to my wife and son. They both hated it when we did a test drive. I'll likely order before they fix the seats, but not before the rest.

We were waiting after years of lurking in the forums, configuring a thousand different cars, and plotting out our purchase. And I agree - the Model S is due for SOMETHING (and not just new base wheels, however exciting that may be). However, when the new incentive appeared, we realized that the S is pretty good as it is for our needs. We've followed Tesla closely since the Roadster was announced, and there's been a consistent string of upgrades. If we kept waiting for the "final" upgrade, we'd be waiting forever. Range was never an issue for us, because we rarely travel, and we have a 12 mile commute to work from home.

There are definitely some things that I had been waiting for which never materialized, such as more interior storage options. But cupholders aren't something we prioritize. We like the current look of the car, though I'd be okay if they did away with the fake grill. We like the idea of autopilot, but until the car can be summoned from the parking lot to the front of the office, it's not THAT appealing. I mean, we still ordered it, but it's not the most exciting thing about the car for us. We're also not too keen on Tesla's repair monopoly. I'm used to doing my own repairs, or having many local options if I don't want to do it myself. We're close enough to the service center that it's not a huge issue, and we understand the argument for Tesla's stance, but it's not terribly reassuring for the long-term.

Also, looking at the service options, we quickly found out that the Model S will cost us far more to maintain than the ICE cars we're used to. For instance, I had a Pontiac Vibe (a corporate cousin of the Toyota Matrix), and maintenance on that over a 10 year span averaged out to about $100 a year. I'm sure compared to a similar luxury vehicle, though, $400 a year isn't that bad, but like many others, we're not coming from a luxury car background. The Model S costs more than the 6 cars we've collectively owned combined over the past 20 years.

Anyway - what it came down to for us was pretty simple. We needed to replace my wife's car (a ten year old Sonata), we were financially able to support a Model S, and she wanted something that was a little bigger than her last car, at least as quick as her last car, and more fuel efficient. We both want Tesla to succeed, too, ideologically, so we consider at least part of the cost a donation to the future success of the path they're trying to blaze.

Finally, we knew that no matter when we purchased the car, there would immediately be a refresh that meaningfully improved the vehicle, because that's how our luck usually works out. They will probably introduce front firing lasers to clear slow traffic in your way in April. So, for everyone else who's still waiting?

Wait another month, and then you're welcome.

No matter what the niggling problems are the car and core functionality is light years ahead of the i3.

The wheels were just updated on the S and if any body changes were coming you would think they would have done it together.

...This is a car, it should work reliably. All the time. I don't like the idea of "release X.x broke Y, but they say they will fix it in X.xx. Soon....". Shades of Microsoft.

... What does Tesla need to do to make the sale?

The reality is Tesla doesn't need to do anything to make the sale because if you don't want it 10 other people are lined up who do. That's relevant because the car's core functions are light years ahead of anything else in the automotive industry and those feature sell cars - autopilot, long range electric driving, world class handling, instant throttle response, nationwide network of free high speed chargers for owners. There is no other car in the world with this feature set.

Small issues with the user interface do not matter for sales in the big picture when nobody else can compete with the actual vehicle and driving experience - they matter only on whiney internet forums like this one with a small group of OCD customers who need to find something to complain about because talking about Teslas on the internet is their social life.

If we lived in a marketplace with 3 or 4 Tesla competitors they might be more responsive in fixing little things.

As for your attitude that your car should work all the time - I don't know what you've owned in the past but if you are coming from the world of bread-and-butter sedans from Honda, Hyundai, Toyota etc. you don't understand the high end luxury market. Not putting you down - just telling you to put your expectations in line with reality or you're in for disappointment.

If the fact that your Tesla handles better than almost anything else on the road and will literally drive you down the freeway through heavy traffic during your commute while getting the equivalant of 80-100 mpg isn't enough to make you cough up your money - you should probably wait for these features to trickle down to mass market vehicles - though you might be waiting a good number of more years. Nothing wrong with that - I know plenty of high net worth individuals who drive Camrys (or perhaps a Lexus) because they can't/won't/refuse to deal with machines that have occasional issues and they are willing to put up with boring in return for 100% up-time (or close to it).

Also don't forget that the sample here is not representative of owners at large. Remember that cars as a whole are far more reliable than they were in the past, so being at the back of a reliability survey by Consumer Reports for the first year of production of a brand new vehicle company is not a bad thing.

And a lot of the big Tesla problems - drive units, wonky door handles, creaky interior bits, panel gaps - have been through multiple engineering revisions at this point and the new cars coming off the line have 75% fewer issues than the ones in 2012 according to something I read Elon Musk say.

My recommendation? Go rent one for a week from a private owner on Turo dot com. Be sure to get a 2015 or 2016 with autopilot. Then go put some serious miles on it. Autopilot is insanely great as is right now - go put a few hundred miles on it and see for yourself. The next generation will be even more capable. Such is life.

As for new features it is likely that the 100 kwhr battery and ventilated seats are coming soon - anywhere from a few more weeks to a year. Tesla won't tell you.

But the car as it is now is stunningly good already.

Last edited:
This.

The reality is Tesla doesn't need to do anything to make the sale because if you don't want it 10 other people are lined up who do. That's relevant because the car's core functions are light years ahead of anything else in the automotive industry and those feature sell cars - autopilot, long range electric driving, world class handling, instant throttle response, nationwide network of free high speed chargers for owners. There is no other car in the world with this feature set.

Small issues with the user interface do not matter for sales in the big picture when nobody else can compete with the actual vehicle and driving experience - they matter only on whiney internet forums like this one with a small group of OCD customers who need to find something to complain about because talking about Teslas on the internet is their social life.

If we lived in a marketplace with 3 or 4 Tesla competitors they might be more responsive in fixing little things.

As for your attitude that your car should work all the time - I don't know what you've owned in the past but if you are coming from the world of bread-and-butter sedans from Honda, Hyundai, Toyota etc. you don't understand the high end luxury market. Not putting you down - just telling you to put your expectations in line with reality or you're in for disappointment.

If the fact that your Tesla handles better than almost anything else on the road and will literally drive you down the freeway through heavy traffic during your commute while getting the equivalant of 80-100 mpg isn't enough to make you cough up your money - you shoudl probably wait for these features to trickle down to mass market vehicles - though you might be waiting a good number of more years.

My recommendation? Go rent one for a week from a private owner on Turo dot com. Be sure to get a 2015 or 2016 with autopilot. Then go put some serious miles on it. Autopilot is insanely great as is right now - go put a few hundred miles on it and see for yourself. The next generation will be even more capable. Such is life.

As for new features it is likely that the 100 kwhr battery and ventilated seats are coming soon - anywhere from a few more weeks to a year. Tesla won't tell you.

Just test drove a P90DL the other day, first test drive of any car for me in over five years. Coming from a GL550 with huge 22 inch wheels, 295 tires.

What an amazing drive! The car is basically identical if not superior to our GL550, which from 2012 had everything in it. The ludicrous mode should come with a warning, as cerebral CSF and blood autoregulation went haywire. Near the end of the drive, we went by an i8 and my son mentioned that mini cooper is making a car with an 'i8' theme, to which our attendant and myself died of laughter. After the test drive, my main conclusion is that there will not be any more ICE cars after five years.

I'm waiting for a high mileage inventory P85/90D and also anxiously awaiting the design studio for MX, although i was able to play around in the store with one.

Last edited:

If the fact that your Tesla handles better than almost anything else on the road and will literally drive you down the freeway through heavy traffic during your commute while getting the equivalant of 80-100 mpg isn't enough to make you cough up your money - you should probably wait for these features to trickle down to mass market vehicles - though you might be waiting a good number of more years. Nothing wrong with that - I know plenty of high net worth individuals who drive Camrys (or perhaps a Lexus) because they can't/won't/refuse to deal with machines that have occasional issues and they are willing to put up with boring in return for 100% up-time (or close to it).

Also don't forget that the sample here is not representative of owners at large. Remember that cars as a whole are far more reliable than they were in the past, so being at the back of a reliability survey by Consumer Reports for the first year of production of a brand new vehicle company is not a bad thing.

And a lot of the big Tesla problems - drive units, wonky door handles, creaky interior bits, panel gaps - have been through multiple engineering revisions at this point and the new cars coming off the line have 75% fewer issues than the ones in 2012 according to something I read Elon Musk say.

What are you saying about my social life? And I don't know why Tesla hasn't got the media system working with iPhones and iPods yet. What a pain having to transfer all my music to a USB stick. :p

I do feel what Boatguy is saying just a little bit. Tesla is a different breed born out of the silicon valley mindset. This is *mostly* cool and a good thing, but ... unlike other cars, you might have to reboot occasionally.

I also find the yearly service charge (and it's a requirement, no?) to be at odds with the low cost of service argument of EVs.

While I won't be as direct as calisnow was, I would echo the sentiment that if you were to base any purchasing decisions off of this forum alone you'd likely never buy the car. I live in the Hollywood Hills and am surrounded by people with too much time and too much money. You'd think these would be the happiest people in the world but joining our neighborhood Facebook page exposes you to limitless complaining about trivial bullpoop. People using gas leaf blowers instead of electric, people adding on to their houses, too much noise, not enough noise. I joke with my wife that I never knew all the things about our neighborhood I should be mad about until I joined it's Facebook page.

It's the same with these forums. You have no idea all the different things you should be enraged over (mini-car in the instrument cluster) until you hop on these forums and have a look around. In all actuality, while the car does have some annoyances, living with it in real life does a pretty good job of making all but the most serious problems seem trivial. I have a laundry list of small stuff that bothers me about my Model S but coming from a BMW that had none of those same issues, I'll take the Tesla and it's issues over over any of my BMWs any day of the week and I'm a man that LOVES his BMWs. :)

Last edited:
What are you saying about my social life? And I don't know why Tesla hasn't got the media system working with iPhones and iPods yet. What a pain having to transfer all my music to a USB stick. :p

I do feel what Boatguy is saying just a little bit. Tesla is a different breed born out of the silicon valley mindset. This is *mostly* cool and a good thing, but ... unlike other cars, you might have to reboot occasionally.

I also find the yearly service charge (and it's a requirement, no?) to be at odds with the low cost of service argument of EVs.

Does the media system seriously not work with Iphones? Like at all? What's the issue with it? I really have no desire to transfer my media to a ghetto memory stick.

I stream podcasts from my iphone all the time. I would hate to lose that capability.

I've got both the S and the X. If I were in the market for a S, I would wait for the seats and interior features in the X. The seats in the X are much better. I am selling my Sig Red X on ebay now and the thing I will miss the most is how much more luxurious the X interior feels vs the S.

Does the media system seriously not work with Iphones? Like at all? What's the issue with it? I really have no desire to transfer my media to a ghetto memory stick.

I stream podcasts from my iphone all the time. I would hate to lose that capability.

This is a pretty big omission. The media center has no native iPhone support. It's strictly A2DP bluetooth streaming. It does a good job of this which is really it's only saving grace but as far as plugging your iPhone into the USB port and expecting all your playlists and songs to pop up on that display? Isn't happening.

This is a pretty big omission. The media center has no native iPhone support. It's strictly A2DP bluetooth streaming. It does a good job of this which is really it's only saving grace but as far as plugging your iPhone into the USB port and expecting all your playlists and songs to pop up on that display? Isn't happening.

How in the hell does this car not have that capability? Seriously???? We are talking about a car that can drive itself down the frickin freeway but it doesn't support one of the most popular phones in the world? Unreal.

Last edited:
I've got both the S and the X. If I were in the market for a S, I would wait for the seats and interior features in the X. The seats in the X are much better.

Could you please go into more detail on the seat comparison? I've been waiting and hoping for a person who owns both S and X to describe the difference between the seats and how/why the X seats are constructed better and are more comfortable - because most of us haven't had the opportunity yet to sit in an X.