Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Powered Lift gate Struts - Rear Lift Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 Model S 85D, Noticed a design flaw that effect the lift gate struts. Water gets into the lip of the inside of the lift gate. Instead of draining out, the powered struts fill with water. Both lift gate struts are corroded and falling apart at both ends. Looks like something you'd find on a 20 year old vehicle. The rust is starting to creep Has anyone else noticed this?

LG Strut 2.jpg

Top Lift gate strut.jpg
Bottom Lift gate strut.jpg

Attachments

• LG strut 4.jpg
    LG strut 4.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 273
  • LG Strut 3.jpg
    LG Strut 3.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 72
  • LG strut 1.jpg
    LG strut 1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Informative
Reactions: UnicornDriver
Strange. I do know there was an issue with the drainage around the lift gate that tesla addressed at some point on my car but I dont know what the actual fix is. Is there any warranty left that might cover this?

It looks to me like you both have a drainage issue. If I remember correctly tesla has fixed this for others in the past. I didnt have rust but they replaced the rubber foot rests where the lift gate sits when closed and the notes mentioned that they were replaced due to drainage issues, they did this as a courtesy fix for me back in January

It looks to me like you both have a drainage issue. If I remember correctly tesla has fixed this for others in the past. I didnt have rust but they replaced the rubber foot rests where the lift gate sits when closed and the notes mentioned that they were replaced due to drainage issues, they did this as a courtesy fix for me back in January

I agree.

Make sure they complete all TSB's.

View attachment 436994
Huh. Just made the appointment and got the following invoice in the mail. I mean, I can swallow 30 bucks but it seems odd that this wouldn’t be a warranty repair...
Hmm, I would question it for sure. They might cover still and send out the invoice anyway. If I remember correctly they sent me an invoice for work to be performed but when I went to pick up my car it was all covered.

I just purchased a used 2015 S 70 with the same rust issues. It wasn’t the powered gate however. I replaced the rusted struts with the Tesla Offer power lift gate and because of this thread, I just made a mobile service appointment to get the ball joints replaced.

I have a 2015 Model S 85D, Noticed a design flaw that effect the lift gate struts. Water gets into the lip of the inside of the lift gate. Instead of draining out, the powered struts fill with water. Both lift gate struts are corroded and falling apart at both ends. Looks like something you'd find on a 20 year old vehicle. The rust is starting to creep Has anyone else noticed this?

View attachment 436532

View attachment 436534 View attachment 436535
I had the same issue and they were both replaced under warranty.

They are refusing to repair mine (still under warranty).

They're saying that "water is allowed to get in the doorjam and as a result rust may occur".

I've responded that it is a safety concern and a corrosion concern (corrosion may spread to body / door) and that if the are is expected to get wet it should be made from with an appropriate material.

Last edited: