Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Questions (Urgent as I was going to buy tomorrow)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good evening,

I've only just discovered this site and am taking a second look at a 2017 Model S tomorrow to buy, I was hoping someone could answer so questions tonight.

I'm looking at a P75D (Badge on the back, Model S 60 on the V5) 2017 Model S with Enhanced Autopilot hardware from a normal used car dealer who I don't have confidence in knowing exactly what he is selling. Its a nice looking car, in good shape so I like the car but a couple of questions.

Does the enhanced autopilot hardware mean that it has the enhanced autopilot software or was that chargeable? (If so how can I tell if it is on the car, in a menu somewhere?)

Is there anywhere in the menus to find out if the 75KWh battery has been unlocked or if it is still stuck at 60? (Additionally, does anyone know of the cost to unlock in the UK?)

I know there is no service interval but there sort of is on the Tesla site, brakes etc., Is there a way from the screen to find out if it has been in for service?

I tried calling Tesla but they won't tell me anything about the car unless I'm the registered keeper so I'm trying to find out before doing the deal tomorrow.

Thanks for any help

G

The car will tell you if it’s a 60 or 75. It’s clear on the menu screen.

If autopilot is an option on the menu screen then it’s software enabled.

No you won’t be able to see any service history on the menus. So have a good luck around the brakes. They can seize easily but it’s not much to get them serviced.

Good luck.

Ps get them to charge it to full to see the range. Not rated range that’s nonsense. For a 75 I think (but I’m not an expert on the 75) you should be looking for circa 210-230.

I get 234 on my 85.

The biggest issue you should check out is whether is it AP1 or AP2 hardware. You can tell by looking at the side indicators - is there a rearward camera on each side. If yes, you have AP2 which is good. If not you have AP1 which is not upgradeable and will soon have a big hit on re-sale value.

Also, I would be careful about range limitation on a 75, especially if you do long trips. A 100 is much better from this perspective.

If you go to the autopilot menu, you should see an option for summon and auto-steer, this means it has auto pilot software

The easiest way to look for AP1 and AP2 is to look at the front small side signal lights if it has a camera then its AP2 (good)

Check for rattles on the dash and wind noises from door seals if this bothers you.

Also, check for fine vertical scratches on the windows

The garage is the registered keeper so whilst you're there get them to call tesla, have som question ready for them to ask

I had a dealer try to sell me a none autopilot car as an autopilot car. I travelled 150 miles for it (Nottingham)

If your gut says leave it, leave it! you can always go back!

Check the eligible range at 90% charge Tesla did a software update which limited the ability to fully charge car and a lot of folks had the range decrease by 25-30 miles. Tesla has lied to its customers and is covering this up not sure if the limit is due to the fires or what but you have been warned.

• Disagree
Reactions: ACarneiro
The car will tell you if it’s a 60 or 75. It’s clear on the menu screen.

If autopilot is an option on the menu screen then it’s software enabled.

No you won’t be able to see any service history on the menus. So have a good luck around the brakes. They can seize easily but it’s not much to get them serviced.

Good luck.

Ps get them to charge it to full to see the range. Not rated range that’s nonsense. For a 75 I think (but I’m not an expert on the 75) you should be looking for circa 210-230.

I get 234 on my 85.
The above is the right answer re the battery! Also, the software will continue to improve, but you are constrained by the hardware, so work on figuring that part out.

...Does the enhanced autopilot hardware mean that it has the enhanced autopilot software or was that chargeable? (If so how can I tell if it is on the car, in a menu somewhere?)...

You can look at the 17" screen under "Autopilot" tab and see if it's activated. As mentioned above, you would see "Autosteer (Beta)" if it's activated.

pyTw7wF.jpg

Is there anywhere in the menus to find out if the 75KWh battery has been unlocked or if it is still stuck at 60? (Additionally, does anyone know of the cost to unlock in the UK?)...

If you click on the "T" symbol in the top middle of your 17" screen, it would tell you whether it's 60 or 75 kWh.

Thanks everyone, I know it is AP2 hardware, i knew about the indicators

The screen says 75 so I get more range than I thought on a 60.

The screen also shows summon so autopilot as well.

I'd love to get the 100 but the difference in price is just to much now, this one is a stretch on the budget only made possible by the fuel savings.

Once last question on the free supercharging, I've been told it takes a while to get the car and the app registered together, does that stop me getting free supercharging or is does the car already know its state and let me fill up?

What are they asking for it? You can walk out with a brand new 0 miles Raven version Long Range 2019 for $79k less $4k in incentives. I recently bought a 2016 90D and love it, but keep thinking for a bit more I could have just bought a 2019. The gap between used 17's and new 19's can be pretty small, unless it has a ton of miles on it. Just sayin'

OK, Sorry, I misunderstood that the raven edition was a car, not a version of a Tesla, but this spec car is out of my budget new and I don't want the depreciation on it, I'd rather take advantage of someone else's