Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S / RAV4 EV Coolant Leakage Motor Repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We recently acquired a RAV4 EV that had received damage from the standard coolant leakage. The vehicle apparently was stopping and going short distances, and then stopped running altogether. We were able to get the drive train out, and disassemble most of the motor. However, I'm curious if anyone who has done this repair before could answer a few questions? This is the first EV I've worked on.

Q. Does the rotor and stator area need to be separated to clean up?

Q. If so, does the rotor simply slip out of the drive gear on the gearbox side, or must there be disassembly from the gearbox side in order to remove the rotor?

Q. Does the induction area simply need to be cleaned only, or can we anticipate electronics damage as a result of the presence of coolant?

Q. Any recommendations on where to source the parts for the repair?

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

4.jpg

We recently acquired a RAV4 EV that had received damage from the standard coolant leakage. The vehicle apparently was stopping and going short distances, and then stopped running altogether. We were able to get the drive train out, and disassemble most of the motor. However, I'm curious if anyone who has done this repair before could answer a few questions? This is the first EV I've worked on.

Q1. Does the rotor and stator area need to be separated to clean up?

Q2. If so, does the rotor simply slip out of the drive gear on the gearbox side, or must there be disassembly from the gearbox side in order to remove the rotor?

Q3. Does the induction area simply need to be cleaned only, or can we anticipate electronics damage as a result of the presence of coolant?

Q4. Any recommendations on where to source the parts for the repair?

@thewalkz - Thanks for the text and pics! Any updates on the repair?

Q1 Yes - I would recommend that (see e.g. QC Charge here: youtube)
Q2 Yes - "simply" slip it out, unless it's corroded stuck (like uncle Rich had here) 😬
Q3 There can be damage, can be invisible, like a shorted out circuit in a tiny chip
Q4 Which parts need replacement? Was the inverter logic connector submerged?

What is the bearing part number for the bearing on the rotor? Also after removal of the rotor, you *may* (at your own risk) want to clean the Aegis ring brush (similar shown here) with lacquer thinner (nothing else) *without ever touching it*, in case it has been contaminated with excess bearing grease, in turn reducing conductivity.