Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh: License Holder Part of Bumper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you absolutely sure that it is bolted to the front of the bumper? My DS says the hold is bolted to the backing plate only, not the bumper. And it isn't possible to not have it installed as it comes from the factory installed.

Well I saw it my self and tried to pull the mount from the top. If is only bolted underneath, I should be able to pull it slightly from the top.

Those 5 big screws/bolts you see are what I can only assume bolted through the bumper.

I can go back to the show room to take pics after removing the mount if they let me... haha

Love the new look. I hope it is possible to mount the plate lower, partially covering up the lower air vent like people did on the pre-autopilot models.
I wonder if it can be rotated 180 degrees and installed so that the plate hangs down instead. That could be why it has two pieces as you could also rotate the inner mounting plate to still have the bolt holes at the top if the main bracket was hanging down.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I didn't think to check the license plate holder. Sorry! It looks like it's pulled out a little bit, however I called the service center and he said its permanently fixed.

Almost want to drive the 60 miles back to pull on it for you guys.

• Informative
Reactions: bradjc
I called the service center and he said its permanently fixed.

It's amazing how much of different story we get from Service center, Sales, DS. They are not as educated as we expect.

The plate is NOT permanently fixed. you can clearly see there are bolts/screws mounted underneath of the bumper and front of the bumper.

The question is, will it leave holes after removal? I will find out soon.

It's amazing how much of different story we get from Service center, Sales, DS. They are not as educated as we expect.

The plate is NOT permanently fixed. you can clearly see there are bolts/screws mounted underneath of the bumper and front of the bumper.

The question is, will it leave holes after removal? I will find out soon.

Looking forward to a definitive answer on this. Put it to bed once and for all! ;) If it is pre drilled I'm hoping I can request they don't attach at the factory, mine due to start build any day now. My nose doesn't need nostrils!

Looking forward to a definitive answer on this. Put it to bed once and for all! ;) If it is pre drilled I'm hoping I can request they don't attach at the factory, mine due to start build any day now. My nose doesn't need nostrils!

I sent an email to DS and OA this morning not to put a plate regardless how they are being installed. I'd be PISSED if they drill it.

I wonder if it can be rotated 180 degrees and installed so that the plate hangs down instead. That could be why it has two pieces as you could also rotate the inner mounting plate to still have the bolt holes at the top if the main bracket was hanging down.

Took me a while to wrap my brain around what you were describing but I understand now lol. Yeah that would be great, the plate would mount much lower. I just hope like everyone else that they are not drilling holes right in the middle of the omitted grill/nose cone