Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh - Rear Rattle and Suspension Clunk Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 Model S long range refresh (about 4K miles on it), recently exhibiting a very consistent rattle and a suspension clunk. Booked a service appointment for both for some ideas to point them at things to look at.

Video of a very recent drive:

Rear rattle
Consistent on any city road, especially at the lower speed ranges (consistent rattle in video). Its like a loose bolt or plastic trim coming from the back row/trunk, but the acoustics could be tricky to pinpoint. I have ruled out the rear seat U-bar latch (electrical taped both sides), the 2 latches that lets you take off your rear seat cushion (felt taped that), any surface level door bolts, and the trunk latch cover (felt taped that). I also did a drive with both rear seats folded down and same rattle.

Suspension Clunk
Seems to happen more when going over bumps or turning onto steeper driveways (especially when air suspension brings the car to a higher setting). In the video, the air suspension was raising the car around the 1:45 mark and the clunk happens at the 1:48 mark when the car turns onto a sloped parking lot entrance. Sounds like it is coming from the rear.

Last edited:
I had some suspension noise and mobile service told me in person the first thing they were going to look for was to torque all suspension bolts and replace as needed. Fortunately for me it ended up being a failing wheel bearing
I wonder if the two issues are related - loose suspension bolts causing a clunk when going up bumps with air suspension on. Guess they need to lift the car up to see.

Though the rattle sounds like it’s from something inside the car, but I guess loose bolts rattling on metal can resonate…

2022 Model S long range refresh (about 4K miles on it), recently exhibiting a very consistent rattle and a suspension clunk. Booked a service appointment for both for some ideas to point them at things to look at.

Video of a very recent drive:

Rear rattle
Consistent on any city road, especially at the lower speed ranges (consistent rattle in video). Its like a loose bolt or plastic trim coming from the back row/trunk, but the acoustics could be tricky to pinpoint. I have ruled out the rear seat U-bar latch (electrical taped both sides), the 2 latches that lets you take off your rear seat cushion (felt taped that), any surface level door bolts, and the trunk latch cover (felt taped that). I also did a drive with both rear seats folded down and same rattle.

Suspension Clunk
Seems to happen more when going over bumps or turning onto steeper driveways (especially when air suspension brings the car to a higher setting). In the video, the air suspension was raising the car around the 1:45 mark and the clunk happens at the 1:48 mark when the car turns onto a sloped parking lot entrance. Sounds like it is coming from the rear.
I have your exact same noise, please let me know how you resolve it.

Have the same issue and had to take it into service. They were able to fix the suspension clunk the same day, but left the rear seat noise unresolved. I also mentioned the front suspension click noise but that also didn’t get fixed.

With all you guys having the same rear rattle, did you all try taping up the U bar on both sides where the rear seats latch?
I have your exact same noise, please let me know how you resolve it.

Have the same issue and had to take it into service. They were able to fix the suspension clunk the same day, but left the rear seat noise unresolved. I also mentioned the front suspension click noise but that also didn’t get fixed.

Also have the rear seat noise.

Hi all, so I seem to have fixed (at least for now) the rear seat rattle, which did end up coming from the rear seat latch (not the U bar itself).

My rattle was with the latch rattling with itself, not against the U bar. However, by adding something on the ubar, it creates less room for the latch to move around when it’s latched to the seat.

I previously used electrical tape and either it was not rolled around thick enough or didn’t have the best sound dampening qualities. I wound some felt tape on the u latch and it seems to have removed the rattle, at least for the last 60-70km driven.

Still need to address the suspension clunk.

I have this exact issue with a November 2021 build. Right rear latch rattle is very loud. Put the seat down and it goes away. I’ll try to fix with friction tape over the U bar. If anyone knows about a permanent fix from Tesla, please let us know.

Most of my rattle on slow speed are fixed by taping the latch hook of the back seats. The occasion one click on slow turns and turns up my driveway are fixed by taping the surface which the hood left and right fold elbow joint stop screw rest. I saw the scratch on the surface touched by the stop screw.

Most of my rattle on slow speed are fixed by taping the latch hook of the back seats. The occasion one click on slow turns and turns up my driveway are fixed by taping the surface which the hood left and right fold elbow joint stop screw rest. I saw the scratch on the surface touched by the stop screw.
Can you take a picture of where you taped for the hood / fold elbow joint? My clunk when turning up driveways sounds like it’s a suspension clunk, but curious what you are seeing.

Reactions: Freshness
Good luck.
IMG_20220702_004732459_HDR~2.jpg

Reactions: leonwu