Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S regen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would still expect that no matter what regen level is set there should be a neutral point on the pedal that neither demands power from the pack nor puts power into the pack and therefor allows true coasting. The problem is that people expect to "coast" by lifting off the pedal completely instead of finding the neutral spot in the pedal position.

I find this fatiguing.

I agree. I really want that "trim tab" (discussed elsewhere), or at least a "neutral" button on the wheel that'll put the car in N for as long as it's held down. Kinda like a clutch, but without the third pedal. Heck, I'll take the third pedal. Note: shifting into neutral isn't quite the same--there are times I just want to override the regen and coast briefly. This is especially true on the ActiveE when coming out of cruise. If you just cancel cruise it immediately drops into full regen. Trying to find the right point on the accelerator so that dropping out of cruise doesn't trigger regen is tricky. Give me a button to override it when needed.

For me, I find the roadster's pedal gives me more control and more of what I want. For example, in an ICE, we all ease up on the accelerator if the traffic in front of us slows down a bit or if we approach slower traffic and need to match speed. I try NOT to hit the brake unless I need to.
With the roadster, I simply adjust my position on the pedal exactly how I did before, but now I have more control. I don't think about acceleration or deceleration. I think about where my foot needs to be in order to maintain proper position. Too far? Push down. Too close? Ease up.
I find it absolutely awesome and if anything, I want stronger regen.

Edit: Wrt to cruise control - before I cancel it, I push the accelerator to where it starts to provide more power than CC is and then I cancel it. I financial find that point pretty quick but if I need to find it quicker, I just make a best guess and hit cancel and. I'm usually close enough. At least won't be in full regen.

Maybe this has been discussed already, but I can't find any mention of it.

What happens to regen braking when the battery is fully charged? Let's say you live (or visit someone who lives) atop a steep hill or at fairly high altitude and fully charge your battery at night. When you head out down the hill, you wouldn't want to overcharge the battery so hopefully the regen braking is automatically disabled. But does that mean that the driving feel changes dramatically when the battery is fully charged?

Maybe this has been discussed already, but I can't find any mention of it.

What happens to regen braking when the battery is fully charged? Let's say you live (or visit someone who lives) atop a steep hill or at fairly high altitude and fully charge your battery at night. When you head out down the hill, you wouldn't want to overcharge the battery so hopefully the regen braking is automatically disabled. But does that mean that the driving feel changes dramatically when the battery is fully charged?

This only applies if you charge in range mode (standard mode charges to 90%). If you do that, yes, regen will be weaker or off.

Would need to be really long. Like mountain descent. But yeah I assume so. Reduced regen kicks in *between* 90 and 100 %
My point was that it's not really a mode thing, it's more of "when your battery is truly full, the regen automatically disables" regardless of mode. This would suggest that in range mode regen kicks in after a brief amount of battery usage while driving (say a mile or so?). Correct or incorrect?

My point was that it's not really a mode thing, it's more of "when your battery is truly full, the regen automatically disables" regardless of mode. This would suggest that in range mode regen kicks in after a brief amount of battery usage while driving (say a mile or so?). Correct or incorrect?

Correct, not a mode thing. In the Roadster, it's a little more complex than what you're describing. From SOC of 100 to 90, regen slowly gets stronger. Lower than 90, regen is turned back on in full force. Model S may be different.

I'm not sure that the Roadster and the S are doing the same thing when you take your foot off the "Go-Pedal".
The Roadster automatically makes the brake lights come on but the comments on the Model S are that there is a gyro that turns the brake lights on when appropriate?