Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Replacement Battery - 2 months?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short:
I have a P90DL with all the options had a error on the dash that said " Avoid hard acceleration. Battery needs service"
I take it in for service they give me a 75 loaner without autopilot.... and say they will order the pack.
2 weeks later I hear it is still on order and could be up to 2 months. All the while I keep making lease payments on a P90DL.
I have asked for a temp pack or even let me drive my car while I wait but they say they can't give it back. Due to safety reasons.

Anyone else run into this?
Also has anyone gotten a P90DL or P100DL loaner? They are telling me they can't due to safety reasons.
Wish they would have told me to start and I would have driven it while I waited.

I know first world problems but 2 months sounds kinda crazy.

• Informative
Reactions: xborg
Not first world problems... making a lease payment makes this a valid concern. If it was a loan payment maybe you'd have to eat crow a little but... you expect the same car for your money. I'd be pushing them personally, or ask them to reduce the lease payment to X (go build your loaner car on tesla.com and tell them you want that payment)

Ask for a different loaner.

When I had to have my hatch replaced, I had an older loaner for two weeks. When they said it would be a while longer, I asked for a different/newer loaner and got a new P90D instead. As luck would have it, they finished the repair the next day so I didn't have it long.

Anyhow, I'm sure you can ask for and get something closer to what you are used to driving, if not better.

On the phone right now. I guess the Palo Alto Service station does not have L cars. And the main service center you call into says it is up to the service center what they have and don’t. I seam to remember Elon tweeting that all loaners will P100DL.

I was the first person to get this error back in February.

Long story short I noticed my car was loosing power after the 8.0 update in September of last year just 3 months after taking delivery and reported it to Tesla. After a month I finally got a reply that the power loss was due to performance counters that Tesla had added to the software. From what the community could gather Tesla tracked things like full throttle events from a stand still and when passing as well as launch mode use though we never got a real answer from Tesla on what caused the counters to increase or how to avoid them. After a very long thread on here Tesla admitted the issue and issued a software update that restored power but only in launch mode. This update also added display warnings if your car needed service. Immediately after installing this update my car said to avoid hard acceleration and contact service. Since then Tesla has issued a further software update that restore full power in all modes.

Suffice to say my car had a battery issue from September 2016 until February 2017 and I drove it the whole time... Assuming your issue is the same as mine, I’d say go get your car and only bring the car in when they have the battery pack in stock. Keep in mind Tesla can see a lot more of what’s going on in the car beyond the general warning on the dash and your issue could easily be different then mine...

Also if you really can’t drive your car and they have no idea when they will get a replacement pack why haven’t they sent your damaged pack out for repair. The process usually takes a month or two for them to remove and ship your pack to Fremont, repair your pack and ship it back to be reinstalled in you car... I’d go to your service center and sit down with the manager to discuss your options.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: xborg and Lodo1000
Long story short:
I have a P90DL with all the options had a error on the dash that said " Avoid hard acceleration. Battery needs service"
I take it in for service they give me a 75 loaner without autopilot.... and say they will order the pack.
2 weeks later I hear it is still on order and could be up to 2 months. All the while I keep making lease payments on a P90DL.
I have asked for a temp pack or even let me drive my car while I wait but they say they can't give it back. Due to safety reasons.

Anyone else run into this?
Also has anyone gotten a P90DL or P100DL loaner? They are telling me they can't due to safety reasons.
Wish they would have told me to start and I would have driven it while I waited.

I know first world problems but 2 months sounds kinda crazy.

I have gotten a Model S P100DL loaner when our Model X went in for a door issue, so they definitely do give out PXXDL cars as loaners.

BTW, I also advocate asking for refund of your lease payment. Our i3 was in the shop for 3 weeks for slow charging, and we got reimbursed for 2 months of lease payments.

Update:

Spoke to the manager at Palo Alto and he said they didn’t have any P90DL S in their fleet. I asked if he can reach out to other locations in the Bay Area. He said he would and would get back to me tomorrow. He was a very nice guy to deal with and he said he understands my issue. He also is trying to push on getting a new pack sooner if possible.

FInal Update:

The manager at the Palo Alto service center was great to deal with. (Gabe) He went above and beyond and personally went to another location and picked up a P90DL and had it dropped off to my house that night. He was also able to get a new battery sooner than we thought. Battery is installed now and I have my car back.
Thank you everyone on here for the advice and helping through the process.

Some observations while I had 4 loaners:

- I had a V2 battery it output around 475kw the new V3 battery puts out around 500kw
- I have a AP 1 car and prefer it at this point. AP 2 was better in some areas as being smoother in stop and go traffic but side to side was not as good. Also when the AP 2 car went wrong it would do it very aggressively I didn't trust it like my AP 1 car. Should be better eventually but for now I am happy with my AP 1 car.
- Model X is not for me. I really like the S but the family liked the X and all the room. Just not as fun to drive but that might be just me.
- The new uncorked 75d was surprisingly fast should be plenty for most people unless your into fast cars.

Thats Great News happy to hear you got your car back as it should be!!

I also agree with all you loaner comments, Specifically I prefer AP1 as well for now, no X for me and those 75D are surprisingly quick!!