Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S REST API

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to remotely determine whether the car is currently using WiFi rather than LTE? I don't think it's in the API as documented but I thought this thread might be a good place to ask.
I don't think you can determine this remotely but depending on what you are looking at trying to do you might be able to accomplish it in a different manner. For example, it shouldn't be too hard to determine if you car is on the same LAN as the computer that you are running your code on using something like arp or nmap and looking for the MAC Address of your car. So in that way you could at least determine if your car was on your home Wifi or not. And for me (and probably lots of folks) not being on home Wifi means that I am on LTE.

The tool I use detected this:

Found 11 new Tesla API fields:
homelink_nearby
third_row_seats
autopark_state
car_type
last_autopark_error
charge_current_request
managed_charging_start_time
charge_port_latch
managed_charging_active
managed_charging_user_canceled
charge_current_request_max

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a way to remotely determine whether the car is currently using WiFi rather than LTE? I don't think it's in the API as documented but I thought this thread might be a good place to ask.

No network information about the car is in the data dumps. Tons of stuff on how the car looks but not thins that could be more useful.

@tliving - can we actually use some of these to change states?

And the homelink_nearby field could presumably be used for geofencing applications for non-Tesla applications if you desire - like turn on your lights and TV when your Tesla gets home.

@tliving - can we actually use some of these to change states?

And the homelink_nearby field could presumably be used for geofencing applications for non-Tesla applications if you desire - like turn on your lights and TV when your Tesla gets home.

They appear to be read only fields. Not writeable.

The homelink one is a boolean (many are):
homelink_nearby: True

Perhaps someday the API will be able to open the garage doors.

The newest version of the mobile app claims you can open/close your garage doors in addition to summon but I can't find any way to do that from the new app and nothing in the API supporting it:
Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 2.08.16 PM.jpg

Decrypted the iOS app and found these commands:

%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/command/charge_start
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/command/charge_stop
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/command/charge_port_door_open
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/command/charge_port_door_close
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/command/auto_conditioning_start
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/command/auto_conditioning_stop
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/command/door_lock
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/command/door_unlock
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/command/trunk_open
%@/api/1/vehicles%@/command/sun_roof_control
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/command/sun_roof_control
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/wake_up
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/command/honk_horn
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/command/flash_lights
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/command/charge_standard
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/command/charge_max_range
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/command/front_defrost_on
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/command/front_defrost_off
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/command/rear_defrost_on
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/command/rear_defrost_off
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/subscription_preferences
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/command/remote_start_drive
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/command/reset_valet_pin
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/command/set_valet_mode
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/command/autopark_request
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/command/trigger_homelink
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/data_request/drive_state
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/data_request/charge_state
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/mobile_enabled
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/data_request/gui_settings
%@/stream/%@/?values=speed,odometer,soc,elevation,est_heading,est_lat,est_lng,power,shift_state,est_corrected_lat,est_corrected_lng
%@/stream/%@/?values=speed,odometer,soc,elevation,est_heading,est_lat,est_lng,power,shift_state
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/data_request/climate_state
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/data_request/vehicle_state
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@unavailabledisabledstandby
%@/api/1/logs
%@/api/1/notification_preferences
%@/api/1/vehicle_subscriptionsios-productionwakingonlinestatecloseventopen
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/command/set_tempsdriver_temppassenger_templat%flonstart_forwardstart_reverseabortaction
%@/api/1/vehicles/%@/command/set_charge_limitpercent

Some commands seem new:
autopark_request
trigger_homelink

Perhaps someday the API will be able to open the garage doors.

The newest version of the mobile app claims you can open/close your garage doors in addition to summon but I can't find any way to do that from the new app and nothing in the API supporting it:
There are better ways to do that if you have the correct hardware. Chamberlain has something called MyQ that has an API that you can use for garage doors. And it will know the correct state of your doors which your car will never know. And you can often retrofit older hardware with a hub.

There are better ways to do that if you have the correct hardware. Chamberlain has something called MyQ that has an API that you can use for garage doors. And it will know the correct state of your doors which your car will never know. And you can often retrofit older hardware with a hub.

We have all the hardware we need already. No need to add additional equipment.

Decrypted the iOS app and found these commands:

Some commands seem new:
autopark_request
trigger_homelink

Thats great, thanks for sharing them.

The "trigger_homelink" option yields this for me:

"{u'response': {u'reason': u'mobile_homelink_disabled', u'result': False}}"

There's no control in the UI where you can enable/disable mobile access to homelink, there's nothing in the app where you can turn that on or off either. So perhaps this is for some future functionality?

We have all the hardware we need already. No need to add additional equipment.
No we don't since someone can always manually operate the door without the car knowing and therefore the car does not know the state. Maybe I am wrong but I am guessing that the car can only send a toggle door command via Homelink and not a discrete "Door Open" or "Door Close" command. And, unless it can have a two way interface with your door opener or a tilt switch, it doesn't know the state of your door with certaintly.

The Tesla Homelink is kind of like a Harmony remote control. It thinks it knows the state of your devices but it can get out of sync due to signal issues or manual intervention

No we don't since someone can always manually operate the door without the car knowing and therefore the car does not know the state. Maybe I am wrong but I am guessing that the car can only send a toggle door command via Homelink and not a discrete "Door Open" or "Door Close" command. And, unless it can have a two way interface with your door opener or a tilt switch, it doesn't know the state of your door with certaintly.

The Tesla Homelink is kind of like a Harmony remote control. It thinks it knows the state of your devices but it can get out of sync due to signal issues or manual intervention

Neither of the openers i use have discreet open and close commands. The opener handles which way it's going.

Seriously, i want to use this to get into the garage. I'm standing on the other side of the door. I don't need the car to know if the door is open or closed. I just want it to send the signal.

Seriously, i want to use this to get into the garage. I'm standing on the other side of the door. I don't need the car to know if the door is open or closed. I just want it to send the signal.
I am more concerned about it sending the close door when I leave without me having to worry whether it worked. Many of us seem to be having issues with AutoClose.

The reason I am worried about discrete command is that if you think Auto Close didn't work and manually close then press the button it may reopen the door and you may not notice when you are driving off and getting out of your driveway. You can't always actually see the door from where the Auto Open/Close should trigger.