Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S REST API

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine has always said 0 even though I've charged to 100% at least once. Either it doesn't mean what you think it means or it's broken. is_auto_conditioning might mean the status of the AC setting because I don't find it reliable to reflect whether HVAC is on or not. is_climate_on might be more reliable for HVAC, but I haven't tested it yet. But I have another way of reliably testing if HVAC is on or not after some trial and error that worked prior to is_climate_on.
I'll do some testing with the new HVAC command if I have some time. I'll report here the results.

So, just realized my car dosen't have 8.0 yet, as those new fields are nonexistent in my API response. I hope someone else can fill in and test this out :)
I got those API responses even while on 7.1. As far as I can tell is_climate_on works exactly as expected. But what I'm curious about is that I'm seeing "left_temp_direction" and "right_temp_direction". I have no idea what they mean. Sometimes it'd be -14, sometimes 6, sometimes 12, etc. And it changes every few seconds even if climate is on or off.

Last edited:
I got those API responses even while on 7.1. As far as I can tell is_climate_on works exactly as expected. But what I'm curious about is that I'm seeing "left_temp_direction" and "right_temp_direction". I have no idea what they mean. Sometimes it'd be -14, sometimes 6, sometimes 12, etc. And it changes every few seconds even if climate is on or off.
Right, my error. I was looking at the wrong bit of code and my API was all messed. Any way, just ran a new call and got a null response from is_climate_on. I then turned my AC on and the API then said false. I know my HVAC was on but it still said false. Oh well.

Right, my error. I was looking at the wrong bit of code and my API was all messed. Any way, just ran a new call and got a null response from is_climate_on. I then turned my AC on and the API then said false. I know my HVAC was on but it still said false. Oh well.
I haven't found a fast way of detecting the state of the climate/AC accurately when toggling the AC on/off remotely, and I'm checking 'is_climate_on', or 'is_autoconditioning_on', or 'fan_speed > 0'. My current (hack) solution is when toggling the AC on/off remotely is to delay 5 seconds before polling for the climate_state again where hopefully by then the change has taken effect.

Reactions: NicB72
Trying to understand the right_temp_direction. I had v8.0 last friday, up to now I can see values moving from -458 to 511 ,and always sync with left_temp_direction.

V8.0 introduce a nice new functionality: AC/Heating will dynamically move depending on the sun position (use gps and heading). I was hoping this would be a -365 to +365 heading value ... but it's not ! No idea what it is yet.

Idea ?

That is my current 'hack' as well.

On another note, what is the syntax for setting passenger and driver temps? I'm sending the correct info in the correct format into the body, but regardless what I send it, the temps in the car just move to "LO"

Setting passenger and driver temperature end point that works for me:

Code:
POST /api/1/vehicles/{id}/command/set_temps
HEADER: Authorization Bearer ...
BODY:
{ "driver_temp":20.0, "passenger_temp":20.0 }

Where driver_temp and passenger_temp are always in Celsius, regardless the configuration of the vehicle.

Note, I've never successfully set the passenger temp to a different value than the driver temp.

Setting passenger and driver temperature end point that works for me:

Code:
POST /api/1/vehicles/{id}/command/set_temps
HEADER: Authorization Bearer ...
BODY:
{ "driver_temp":20.0, "passenger_temp":20.0 }

Where driver_temp and passenger_temp are always in Celsius, regardless the configuration of the vehicle.

Note, I've never successfully set the passenger temp to a different value than the driver temp.
Ahh, that might explain things. When ever I did any testing I used different values for driver and passenger side. Sync temp is turned on. Will test now.

Ahh, that might explain things. When ever I did any testing I used different values for driver and passenger side. Sync temp is turned on. Will test now.
I can confirm the sync temp in the car does effect the set temperature call. With sync temp off, you can set each side's temperature independently as expected. With sync temp on, they sync (as expected i guess.). Pity we can't detect if sync temp is on except for sending a few set temp calls.

Trying to understand the right_temp_direction. I had v8.0 last friday, up to now I can see values moving from -458 to 511 ,and always sync with left_temp_direction.

V8.0 introduce a nice new functionality: AC/Heating will dynamically move depending on the sun position (use gps and heading). I was hoping this would be a -365 to +365 heading value ... but it's not ! No idea what it is yet.

Idea ?

Perhaps it's the instantaneous rate of change of temperate? (not sure what the scale would be, given your examples).