Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S REST API

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else having problems? Phone app works (it may have cached credentials). I can hit the API login URL from my poller, but I get timeouts trying to authenticate.

EDIT: Yeah, looks like auth is busted again. Deleting the cookie from the app causes the same timeouts.

Anyone else having problems? Phone app works (it may have cached credentials). I can hit the API login URL from my poller, but I get timeouts trying to authenticate.

EDIT: Yeah, looks like auth is busted again. Deleting the cookie from the app causes the same timeouts.

It has been off and on all weekend for me and now I have been blocked for making too many requests :(

Wish there were an official API... maybe one day soon.

Update: I changed IP and things are working again, but data is getting chunked (or delayed) so that I get blocks of data every 5 to 10 seconds rather line by line.

I had solved this before using curl -N (which switched off output buffering) but now it is behaving as if it had output buffering again, only this time it must be the Tesla server. This is strange because data is getting to the App in real time. There must be some way that the App is identifying itself for priority treatment :)

Anyone seen changes in the transactions between the App and the Server?

Does Tesla tailor the response based on what your known version is?

I think they just add new functionality when it is stable and it shows up in the maintenance releases. Easy to add additional fields and existing software just ignores them.

vehicle_name is a 6.0 feature revealed in the Colbert interview. Are we close to 6.0?

Directionally it is a good sign. But this change is trivial so I don't think it adds any data on the 6.0 delivery timeframe.

Directionally it is a good sign. But this change is trivial so I don't think it adds any data on the 6.0 delivery timeframe.

Well, it might be trivial, but it does show that 5.12 very likely contains a number of 6.0 features that just aren't exposed to the user. AFAIK, the API's key off of the car so the OS inside the car is providing a vehicle_name field. I don't understand why Tesla likes to build in functionality and then hide it from the user. This is not the first time they have done this. Elon mentioned last year (I think at Tesla Live, in fact) that valet mode had already been coded, just not exposed in the UI. Another year later and there still isn't any sign of valet mode!

Is there a function to release the charge cable? I can start and stop charging, and open the charge port, but can't seem to find a way to actually release the cable.
It is possible to do it from the official app, so there is a way to do it remotely.

And another thing that would be great, but which I fear is not possible would be to trigger the home link from the API.
That way I could leave the garage opener at home and use my phone to trigger the opening of the garage door.

And another thing that would be great, but which I fear is not possible would be to trigger the home link from the API.
That way I could leave the garage opener at home and use my phone to trigger the opening of the garage door.
If you have a home automation system, VisibleTesla makes that possible. I have VT notify the HA system when the car enters or leaves the area, and adjust lights, open garage door, etc.