Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S REST API

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to get a one-time print out of the comma separated status line that you'd get from the streaming server? For instance, if I want to grab the car status each minute, rather than 240 times per minute - to be kind to the servers? ;-)

Calling the API every minute is probably a bigger load than keeping a single connection open for several minutes with streaming data. The load is in the connection setup, not in the update rate. Can your app just drop the data samples you don't want? If not, then just receive a single sample and then disconnect. There is no way to only request one update per minute. I have tried and tried to talk to Tesla about using a more advanced streaming infrastructure that would allow for user or server limited rate control but they won't even talk to me.

Hi all.. I wanted to try out the APIs to get vehicle statistics on charging, watts & mileage, etc. What is the best way to get started. I don't own a model s yet.

I heard Elon mentioned that 6.0 could have an official SDK support. If true, that would be wonderful.

Hi all.. I wanted to try out the APIs to get vehicle statistics on charging, watts & mileage, etc. What is the best way to get started. I don't own a model s yet.

I heard Elon mentioned that 6.0 could have an official SDK support. If true, that would be wonderful.

Check out the REST Wiki (at REST API Tools and Apps - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum ). It has links for toolkits in various programming languages.

Honestly, the best way to start is to get a Model S. There is little you can do until you have a car with the mobile connectivity option enabled and a login and password for the Tesla web site.

Hi. I'm building tools to do data analytics on connected car data, initially focused on the Tesla Model S. I'm looking for snippets of data streams that I can put into my platform for analysis. I won't share the data with anyone else. Anyone interested in sharing? Also, anyone interested in helping on the project?

I see that Nest launched their developer program, today. This interests me, as I have a Nest thermostat and some Nest Protects. It looks like it wouldn't be too hard to to integrate this with the Model S. For instance, use the REST API to monitor the location of the car, and when it gets near home, start heating or cooling the house. I'm not sure I have time to do this myself, but maybe somebody here does?

I see that Nest launched their developer program, today. This interests me, as I have a Nest thermostat and some Nest Protects. It looks like it wouldn't be too hard to to integrate this with the Model S. For instance, use the REST API to monitor the location of the car, and when it gets near home, start heating or cooling the house. I'm not sure I have time to do this myself, but maybe somebody here does?

I know at least one other TMC member that has built pretty much exactly what you have described. The location of your car (really the location of your phone) is just another input to a If This Then That (IFTTT.com) style rule.

Interesting idea, but there are some complications you'd have to deal with. I designed a web app that I can access from the MS touchscreen and, at the click of a button, turn on (or off) both of my ACs in the house. This works very well for me. I'd give you the code, but I have a Radio Thermostat (better developer API and half the cost of the Nest).

There is very basic support for this sort of thing in VisibleTesla. You can set a geofence (enter and/or exit) and when that event occurs, VT will do a GET on a specified URL. If your Nest can be controlled directly via a REST call, you may be able to make VT control it without IFTTT as an intermediary. Check out the docs at:
VisibleTesla

Nope. All good here (REST + streaming).
Thanks for the double-check.

I rebooted both the instrument cluster and the 17" and now the query APIs are responding. No luck on the streaming API yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and while I'm looking at it:

No added or removed name-value-pairs to the query APIs going from 1.51.94 to 1.51.109 firmware.