Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S screen went out, blinkers not working, AC stuck blasting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, last night my tesla's middle screen stopped working. My blinkers wouldn't work and my ac was stuck on its prior setting - just blasting cold air. I tried all of the reboot steps, etc. but nothing had occurred. The car appeared offline for the tesla service center. They said that they would diagnose the car and let me know what the issue is. My car is a 2014 model S and I saw that the NHTS had opened an investigation a few days back for the MCU dying. Is this likely my issue?

Also, if it is, would they just replace it with the same finite eMMC or would they put in the latest MCU?

Hey guys, last night my tesla's middle screen stopped working. My blinkers wouldn't work and my ac was stuck on its prior setting - just blasting cold air. I tried all of the reboot steps, etc. but nothing had occurred. The car appeared offline for the tesla service center. They said that they would diagnose the car and let me know what the issue is. My car is a 2014 model S and I saw that the NHTS had opened an investigation a few days back for the MCU dying. Is this likely my issue?

Also, if it is, would they just replace it with the same finite eMMC or would they put in the latest MCU?
Tesla under investigation for Model S touchscreen failures

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr

It sounds like your MCU died. It happened to me. What ever was on or off will stay that way when this happened. The a/c will eventually turn off after 4 hours or so. But when you press on the brake it will start again. My MCU died but I can still charge and drive. Make sure your blinkers and brake light works before driving. Note your blinkers may work without the noise in the cabin.

My understanding is that it will be replaced with the same chip. I've been waiting over a month for a replacement.

My 2013 Model S has started to have similar problems this winter where it has not displayed similar issues in the past four winters.

After sitting on charge for the night and especially when the night's low reached below ~35F/32F (it's a bit inconsistent), the following issues arise:
* Center console screen is black
* App is unable to connect
* Car may have lost 4-8 miles since receiving peak charge
* Dashboard display boots up slowly
* 30-90s delay between pressing brake and ability to shift into drive
* While driving: screen takes approx. 15-30 mins to reboot with double steering wheel button press for 5s, no blinker sound, 5 min after shifted into drive until previously set cabin heat turns on, no audio, and a number of other minor inconveniences

Side note: Sometimes, while the center console screen is still black, high beams cannot be turned on.
Side note: The corresponding fuse is in good condition.
Side note: I got the EMMC replaced ~3 years ago.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Has anyone successfully remedied this issue, especially on such an old car? What was the successful remedy?