Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Signature Performance (Red) For Sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After several missed delivery estimates, looks like I will finally be taking possession of the car this weekend. I plan to take and post pictures and start a more focused sales effort once I finally have it safely in my garage! I've had many offers on it but I think many people don't realize the actual cost from Tesla, including CA tax and delivery, is upwards of $118,000. I now know there are buyers out there. We'll see how long it takes. And if nobody is interested by December, I'm happy to keep it as the thought of handing the keys to someone else is already getting tough!

Just a final update on this... I sold the car for $140,000. I thought about whether or not to post that piece of news but in the end decided to do so because I think it's important. Everybody needs to understand that the market has spoken and at $100,000, this car is currently underpriced. Dave, to answer your question I bought two with the intention of selling the first to help pay for the 2nd. My 2nd reservation is in the low 1,000s so should be here next month. Now that its won Motor Trend's COY award, the value has gone up, I'm sure. For all of you who spit venom at me for even offering the car for sale, I believe you are misguided and should be thrilled that there is now proof that the car is underpriced. For those who already got that, celebrate the validation. This is a huge day for Tesla (the COY award) and therefore for all owners and early reservation holders. Having owned one for a week, I can tell you its even harder to wait these last six weeks to get my own!

Just a final update on this... I sold the car for $140,000. I thought about whether or not to post that piece of news but in the end decided to do so because I think it's important. Everybody needs to understand that the market has spoken and at $100,000, this car is currently underpriced. Dave, to answer your question I bought two with the intention of selling the first to help pay for the 2nd. My 2nd reservation is in the low 1,000s so should be here next month. Now that its won Motor Trend's COY award, the value has gone up, I'm sure. For all of you who spit venom at me for even offering the car for sale, I believe you are misguided and should be thrilled that there is now proof that the car is underpriced. For those who already got that, celebrate the validation. This is a huge day for Tesla (the COY award) and therefore for all owners and early reservation holders. Having owned one for a week, I can tell you its even harder to wait these last six weeks to get my own!

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your sale. Good job. You gambled and won! You're right that Tesla has shown the world that they have a winning car on their hands.

And good luck on your wait.

For all of you who spit venom at me for even offering the car for sale, I believe you are misguided and should be thrilled that there is now proof that the car is underpriced.
For those that might be upset (regardless of whether you took it out on him or not), keep in mind that his $40k reservation helped Tesla deliver just as much as mine did, and any other Sig reservation holder. (And no I'm not selling my car.)

My congratulations as well RedSignature. In retrospect, I know some of my posts came across as negative toward what you were doing, my objection and concern was the rise of rampant speculation by others which I believe would be long term harmful to the Tesla brand; no venom spit by me thou, just concern. I appreciated you keeping the forum updated on the progress of selling your S, I think you chronicled it is not as easy a task. Hope to see your "BrownProduction" avitar in the future post.:wink:

My congratulations as well RedSignature. In retrospect, I know some of my posts came across as negative toward what you were doing, my objection and concern was the rise of rampant speculation by others which I believe would be long term harmful to the Tesla brand; no venom spit by me thou, just concern. I appreciated you keeping the forum updated on the progress of selling your S, I think you chronicled it is not as easy a task. Hope to see your "BrownProduction" avitar in the future post.:wink:

Agreed. Some concern about this setting precedent regarding the dealership restrictions in the Tesla agreement resulting in it being undermined, and the potential impacts it could have on forthcoming dealership suits.

Last edited:
I truly don't understand this concern. Is the thought that once you buy a Tesla you must keep it forever? How long must you keep it? As an individual buying a car, you think there could possibly be some restriction on how long I must keep it before I can sell it or a restriction on how much I can sell it for? I feel pretty comfortable that that is not the case and that in no way affects Tesla dealership suits. What argument could be made otherwise?

I think 140K for a P85 Sig is too low …. more like 170K (120 cost+50) would be more in line with the value now while the production wait is long, especially if you plan to pay Fed/ST taxes on the 50K profits.

I think 140K for a P85 Sig is too low …. more like 170K (120 cost+50) would be more in line with the value now while the production wait is long, especially if you plan to pay Fed/ST taxes on the 50K profits.

Well of course "value" just means what someone is willing to pay for it. But I'm also surprised the value wasn't closer to $170K. But the fact is that I had it posted for several weeks before finding a buyer at 140K and another (non Perf) Signature was on Ebay and to the best of my knowledge didn't get a bid above about $120K. Side stepping any argument about what any of us think the car is "worth"... just knowing there is a "widget" out there that is targeted to affluent buyers and that widget has a year long wait list and there are somewhere between 0-2 of these widgets for sale in the world right now... I would think there would be a buyer or two willing to pay as much as 100% premium for that widget if necessary. That the premium was only about 20% is surprising to me. Simply put: How many extremely wealthy people in the world would like to have a Model S today? How many are available today? Apply laws of supply and demand and calculate a price.

Well of course "value" just means what someone is willing to pay for it. But I'm also surprised the value wasn't closer to $170K. But the fact is that I had it posted for several weeks before finding a buyer at 140K and another (non Perf) Signature was on Ebay and to the best of my knowledge didn't get a bid above about $120K. Side stepping any argument about what any of us think the car is "worth"... just knowing there is a "widget" out there that is targeted to affluent buyers and that widget has a year long wait list and there are somewhere between 0-2 of these widgets for sale in the world right now... I would think there would be a buyer or two willing to pay as much as 100% premium for that widget if necessary. That the premium was only about 20% is surprising to me. Simply put: How many extremely wealthy people in the world would like to have a Model S today? How many are available today? Apply laws of supply and demand and calculate a price.
Your assumption doesn't consider how many of those wealthy people who know about it, already had signature reservations. The number of wealthy people who want a new cool car is high, the number of them who know/care about Tesla is much lower, and most of those would have already plunked down a reservation since they learned about Tesla from the Roadster press.

Your assumption doesn't consider how many of those wealthy people who know about it, already had signature reservations. The number of wealthy people who want a new cool car is high, the number of them who know/care about Tesla is much lower, and most of those would have already plunked down a reservation since they learned about Tesla from the Roadster press.

I think there are a LOT more very wealthy potential Tesla buyers who have heard of the Model S in the last few months than had heard of it prior. The Motor Trend COY award alone probably doubled the number. How many of your friends and acquaintances had heard of Tesla a year ago vs. now? For me it's gone from "practically none" to "practically all". I can tell you that the people who contacted me (including the person who ultimately bought it) fall into the category I'm talking about. And the reality is, with 1 or 2 cars available, it only takes a handful of very rich and very new to Tesla people to make the price skyrocket.