Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Sneak Peek: Alpha Drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few observations:

Who forgot the S? We all know the S is important...without it this car would just be the "Tesla Model"!
Screen Shot 2011-08-02 at 8.20.39 PM.png

And I pray the title of this video is not a reference to the infamous "Two Girls, One Cup":
title.jpg

Warning: If you haven't seen it before, don't investigate the "Two Girls, One Cup" video unless you have a strong stomach... :scared:

LEDs don't necessarily flicker. They are sometimes pulsed... frequency of the LEDs' strobing and the frame rate of the camera are different, phase ....

Flicker pulse, strobe, flash, beat, intermittent, cycles, frame rate, etc, etc. Arguably and perhaps incorrectly these are interchangeable terms...
They are sometimes pulsed with a variable duty cycle to affect their perceived brightness since the eye acts as an integrator...
Citation please.

In the video I see the car's right headlight slowly flashing (not the orange turn signal, duh) It could be that the headlight is just vibrating or bouncing so it appears to flicker but if its an LED it could also be strobing out of phase with the video frame rate.

That was pretty fun to see them "tracking" a couple Model S(es?). Does anyone know what door handles are on the Alphas? They don't look like the pop-out handles to me but I could (easily) be wrong.

A few observations:

It is kind of strange that someone forgot an "S" on "Tesla Motors". At least the website is correct. :tongue: As for the three cars, one track; it could be a two girls, one cup reference but I doubt it. If it was two cars instead of three I would agree, though. :wink:

regarding the missing S, you can see it in some shots. I'm guessing that on one side the S just came off or something.

Popsmith, I could be wrong, but I remember seeing somewhere that they aren't the hiding handles, but more like the press and pull handles that some cars have now (press in at one end, makes the handle pop out at the other)

Citation please.

Actually, nearly 100% of electronics that use LEDs adjust the brightness by pulsing them. I've designed systems that work this way myself. The pulses are too fast for the human eye to see, but you can often see the blinking if the light source moves across your line of sight.

There are several reasons for doing this:

1. It's trivially easy to get a microprocessor to output a variable duty cycle pulse; many have special pins that do it automatically with minimal processor overhead
  2. It takes less power if you switch electronics fully on and fully off - significant power is wasted if you turn a transistor partially on
  3. The electronics are a lot simpler; otherwise to adjust the current you need a digital-to-analog converter and an amplifier
  4. Since the power dissipation is minimal you can get away with a wimpy driver circuit; often you can just drive the LED from the microprocessor pin

For an automotive application I would probably pulse them at a much higher rate, to avoid the motion effects I mentioned above.

Popsmith, I could be wrong, but I remember seeing somewhere that they aren't the hiding handles, but more like the press and pull handles that some cars have now (press in at one end, makes the handle pop out at the other)

No, they're the hiding handles. They considered tilt-out handles but decided to keep the original concept. As I understand it, the handles extrude automatically when you walk up to the car with the key fob. Sounds really cool.

I heard that the prototype's pop-out handles didn't have the safety features implemented that would keep it from biting your fingers. That's probably one of the reasons why they don't like people touching the prototype!

No, they're the hiding handles. They considered tilt-out handles but decided to keep the original concept. As I understand it, the handles extrude automatically when you walk up to the car with the key fob. Sounds really cool.

I heard that the prototype's pop-out handles didn't have the safety features implemented that would keep it from biting your fingers. That's probably one of the reasons why they don't like people touching the prototype!

Really? I thought they did use the popup handles just for the prototype (not considering replacing them on the final version). Also, when was the prototype shown off to people?

Cadillac tail lights strobe very quickly also.

Actually, I find that Cadillac tail lights strobe slowly - maybe only 30Hz. I consider the ones from a couple of years ago - when they were also the turn signals, and the off cycle of the turn signal meant the brake light on that side was off, too - among the worst engineered tail lights ever. It's annoying to those of us who are flicker sensitive. I can't be behind one of those for more than a few minutes at night without getting agitated and annoyed. 100Hz for significant changes in brightness should be considered a minimum, though I don't have high hopes given the strobing in the video.