Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure whether to install this update ?
No indication of version, build or otherwise.

Software_Update_Notice.jpg

Here is my latest exchange with the ownership experience people

"Advocate" you are missing the point in a number of areas.

• I am not in a rush to get the update. I just insist on knowing when its coming, or some indicator of its approach. I have been hearing "in a few weeks" now for over a month and a half.
  • I understand your process. It has been sent to me every time I ask for a date. I have no issues with how Telsa has decided to role out the software. My issue is a total lack of transparency on the delivery queue.
  • The fact the your response to my repeated request for a date was to try to get the date moved up is totally wrong. I am not trying to jump the queue. The fact that you would try begs the question on the fairness of the process. Are you implying that the way to get the update sooner is to complain? I hope that is not the process.
  • I understand the notification process does not require me to proactively check the car daily. If I had some indication of when the update would occur, there would be no motivation to check. Again, you are missing the point.
  • Lastly, given you admonition that there is nothing more you can do, I am talking to the wrong person. Please give me the contact information for your manager.

We'll see what the manager has to say.

Jeez! Give the company a break and enjoy your amazing car. It's clear they are working hard and producing results against the odds. It's never enough for some of you.

Model S signature owner
Austin, TX

• I am not in a rush to get the update. I just insist on knowing when its coming, or some indicator of its approach. I have been hearing "in a few weeks" now for over a month and a half.
  • I understand your process. It has been sent to me every time I ask for a date. I have no issues with how Telsa has decided to role out the software. My issue is a total lack of transparency on the delivery queue.
  • The fact the your response to my repeated request for a date was to try to get the date moved up is totally wrong. I am not trying to jump the queue. The fact that you would try begs the question on the fairness of the process. Are you implying that the way to get the update sooner is to complain? I hope that is not the process.
  • I understand the notification process does not require me to proactively check the car daily. If I had some indication of when the update would occur, there would be no motivation to check. Again, you are missing the point.
  • Lastly, given you admonition that there is nothing more you can do, I am talking to the wrong person. Please give me the contact information for your manager.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes I would push interested parties to the front of the line. People who want the update are less likely to complain when there are bugs. Why push early software on people who are happy now and may not be happy with a bug or two?

I'm not privy to the previous back and forth, but the above seems a tad aggressive. It sounds like they were trying to appease you (or relieve themselves) by getting you the software early, and you sort of bit their hand for it. What is it that you want exactly? The formula they use to determine who gets the update and when? Phased rollouts are not uncommon, and it's likely there's a number of criteria involved in determining who gets the update and when.

I'm still stick on the original software, so we're in the same boat -- I just don't know that harassing them right now is the best idea.

Lastly if they dealt with this like Google and left software in beta for a year then you could have your exact date. But calling software beta on a car might not go over too well. In the end all you accomplish by requiring a real date is to push them to estimate worst case delivery dates and keep beta software internal and for longer.

My parents are Signature customers who are still on the pre V4.0 software as well. It makes sense for them to freeze everyone at their current version if they haven't had major problems until they sorted some things out. It seems they have addressed most issues with V4.2 so hopefully the bigger rollout will start happening.

My parents are Signature customers who are still on the pre V4.0 software as well. It makes sense for them to freeze everyone at their current version if they haven't had major problems until they sorted some things out. It seems they have addressed most issues with V4.2 so hopefully the bigger rollout will start happening.

I'm on this same boat, running 1.15.14, no major issues whatsoever. Willing to patiently wait until a more stable version is ready for general rollout.

First world problems. Ugh, such a pain. :tongue:

I just want to say thanks to all you early adopters for shoveling the asphalt to pave the road ahead of the rest of us. Of course, I'll be joining in the manual labor in about a month's time, but I look forward to helping make the car better for those behind me.

I'm not privy to the previous back and forth, but the above seems a tad aggressive. It sounds like they were trying to appease you (or relieve themselves) by getting you the software early, and you sort of bit their hand for it. What is it that you want exactly? The formula they use to determine who gets the update and when? Phased rollouts are not uncommon, and it's likely there's a number of criteria involved in determining who gets the update and when.

I'm still stick on the original software, so we're in the same boat -- I just don't know that harassing them right now is the best idea.

There have been many exchanges. My point is unless they get up every morning and flip a coin, they have numerous project managers working over time to commit to and execute on a schedule. They have to have a list of who they are going to send to code to next. With over 40 years in development, I have never seen a project where there was not a schedule. I understand their reluctance to give us a date for fear of missing it. Showing us the queue and the progress would let all of us to estimate when the code will show up.

Here is the really bad news. It may be coincedence, but my update showed up this morning. That was not my intent and does nothing to improve their transparency on delivery. It does cause me to wonder if I was delayed because of queue jumping by others and have I now delayed someone else due to my jump. If there was a jump.

Please don't get me wrong. I love my car. I want Tesla to be very sucessful. Id I did not care, I wouldn't be offering them constructive feedback.

Hope you don't take this approach when sending food back in restaurants. Yikes! I feel for the DS who is working mega hours.

They have to have a list of who they are going to send to code to next.

I wouldn't be so sure about this. I am sure they can force a update to a specific car but I would imagine some computer uses an algorithm (based on the cars in the wild, and their configurations) and sends out the updates to a portion of the Teslas out there pretty randomly.

Android phones do this very same thing (at least they used to). I doubt that anyone can tell you when your phone will get an update before you get it.

I just got my first update from 4.0 at delivery to 4.2, which appears to have been rolled out to everyone.

Quite simply, the update progress and planning for car firmware is not any business of the owner. When it comes in, you can choose to update, but asking for full transparency in their day to day planning is obnoxious and does nothing more than waste their time that could have been spent fixing problems and getting better software out the door. Leave them alone and let them do their damn jobs!