Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When driving with Screen Clean mode on, if the driver shifts the Model S into reverse the rear-view camera displays real-time video in the upper half of the screen. The lower half remains black. This is good. However, the Reverse Guidelines do not display overlaying the video. The Reverse Guidelines should also come onto the video as is normal when the Model S is shifted into Reverse. I made a request to Tesla to correct this in the middle of July 2015. So far this has not been corrected.

When driving with Screen Clean mode on, if the driver shifts the Model S into reverse the rear-view camera displays real-time video in the upper half of the screen. The lower half remains black. This is good. However, the Reverse Guidelines do not display overlaying the video. The Reverse Guidelines should also come onto the video as is normal when the Model S is shifted into Reverse. I made a request to Tesla to correct this in the middle of July 2015. So far this has not been corrected.

Why would you be driving the car with the screen in cleaning mode?

At night sometimes I find the display to be too bright and would like to have it completely off. I published a website just for the goal of turning off the display by displaying a blank page using the full screen web browser. James' Blank Page
However, this doesn't work to my satisfaction because the upper icon bar and lower controls are still on which are bright at night. The better way to have an almost completely blank, turned off display is to drive while Screen Clean Mode is enabled. It still has the text in the middle about exiting Screen Clean Mode, but it is the best possible way to almost blank the display.

Last edited:
Nav
- Directions that aren't vastly inferior to Google Maps or Waze. This should be top priority for Tesla! If Google will license you their turn by turn functionality, its well worth the investment.
- When you come to an exit, the graphic on the IC screen shows detailed exit info in small letters (why can't I see this before I get to the exit??) and ditches the GPS view (I want to see where my car is as it moves past exits.. especially useful where there's one exit right after the other!)

Phone app
- Favorites!
- Ability to use Facetime Audio (call quality much better)

General
- Third party app support (integrated Spotify, Pandora, other browers). It won't be a resource hog if you don't allow background refresh..
- Smoother TACC
- More transparent data in the Energy graph. I've called Tesla to have them explain exactly what data is captured to draw the line graph, no one can really explain it. It seems to me that its a 0.5-1.5 mile moving average, depending on if you're in the 5, 15, 30 mile screen

Wishlist:
(1) gapless play in the audio player, so I don't have to rip audio dramas as huge single tracks.
(2) Adjustable vertical limits on the energy graph. The current graph hilariously useless to me as it runs off the bottom and top of the graph every single day on the steep hills in my town (I posted a photo of this a couple of years ago).
(3) Use Google for Nav, since the current Nav isn't much good.
(4) Report individual tire pressures somewhere.

Oh, and, you know, comply with the open source software licenses.

That is all.

Remove "Add homelink" option from below linked garage doors in the GPS enabled drop down. It's already in the settings menu. I routinely fail when going for my garage door, and bring up the add homelink menu which I have to close. Adding homelinks is not done very often, so navigating to the settings menu is no big deal.

Add audio preference to preconditioning settings. For example, automatically have radio set to NPR station in the morning on way to work, automatically play an audio track (like "take this job and shove it") on the way home.

Remove "Add homelink" option from below linked garage doors in the GPS enabled drop down. It's already in the settings menu. I routinely fail when going for my garage door, and bring up the add homelink menu which I have to close. Adding homelinks is not done very often, so navigating to the settings menu is no big deal.

Add audio preference to preconditioning settings. For example, automatically have radio set to NPR station in the morning on way to work, automatically play an audio track (like "take this job and shove it") on the way home.

Yeah I've taken to adding an incomplete, fake home link configuration as a spacer to avoid this.

Moved from Feature Request Compilation From /r/teslamotors

· Red light / stop sign warning if approaching without slowing and yellow light assist to recommend when to stop or go through based on traffic/time/current speed. With this, make the time before going into "hold" mode (on cruise control) much longer if no stops or red lights are detected.

· A not so drunk navigation system

Also, a green light detector, that shows an alert on the display somewhere (for all three light colors if possible), and chirps at you if you don't respond in 3 or 4 seconds. Traffic lights are sometimes close to in line with the sun and it's difficult to see them in the glare. A different viewing position (one that I can't get my eyeball to) might help.

Speed limit alert threshold adjustable, without changing the speed limit lines on the white/blue tape on the speedo. presently, if I'm going 1mph over, it displays the warning over the "fuel gauge" almost constantly. if I change the threshold, it changes the blue/white tape threshold, too.

Teach the nav system to stay off residential streets when just passing through an area.

An option to force re-sync for addresses and numbers in my phone. A friend moved and changed his address on my phone. Now I have to tell the car /and/ phone to forget each other and then re-pair them. petty, but trivial to fix. do NOT do it automatically; there may be a reason I'm not syncing.

nav should be more sophisticated about generic things. For example, if I ask for a rest area while on the freeway, the ones behind me are not particularly useful, and when I'm in unfamiliar territory, "helping" me by giving me its name is not helpful at all. I'm asking how far it is to the next one. same is true for generic commercial things, like starbucks and costco. There are cases where the one behind may be useful. if it gives both a distance and direction, I have a chance of figuring it out.

similarly, the parser is needlessly obtuse. if I say "Navigate Centralia Supercharger" from the Seattle area, it's much more likely that I mean the supercharger in Washington state, rather than the town in Pennsylvania that has no supercharger.

More trip odometers. I can't think of a reason there shouldn't be hundreds of them. similarly with charging. there should be an easy way to get a complete log of every time I charged the car: volts, amps, start and stop time, SOC before and after.

An actual compass display. I can deduce what my heading is from the arrow on the map but I want a real compass.

seconded on the interior temperature.

I want a low-volume horn. just yesterday a couple was crossing the street in the middle of the block on a one way street, starting while the light was red, protecting them. but something on one of the buildings caught their attention and they stopped in the middle of the street, and they didn't notice the light change or my nearly silent car approaching, and just stood there, looking up and away from me. I tooted the horn, which startled them. put a small speaker under the nosecone that plays some noise when I push a button on the top line of the big display. let me pick it, like the ring tone on my phone. mine would be the bell from a kid's bicycle.

seconded on the "nerd" options. temperature of the battery and motor(s), whether the fan is running.

add projected range, miles driven and total energy used since last charge onto the energy display, especially the little one behind the steering wheel.

I want a way of making the names of streets on the moving map get temporarily bigger, so I don't have to put on my reading glasses.

--Snortybartfast

Make the Lane Departure warning threshold adjustable. 30 mph is too low for the South Bay where we often are moving faster than 30 while constantly encountering new lanes, disappearing lanes, striping for bike lanes, etc, etc. Both my wife and I were so bothered by the constant unnecessary warnings that we had to turn off Lane Departure warning. This is a valuable feature at highway speeds. Above 50 I want it on all the time -- 35 and below it's too annoying. Who decided on a fixed 30-mph setting? Please Tesla, make the threshold adjustable.

I second the motion to eliminate the Home Link from the drop-down menu when approaching home. I'll go to Settings on the extremely rare occasion I want to add a new Home Link, thank you -- don't need it here at all; in fact, it's in the way, a distracting nuisance which often gets wrongly punched while trying to get the garage door open, which is a hassle given the wimpy signal from the car, which often requires punching the screen button multiple times. (In fact, I had to put my 10-yr-old button-battery remote on the visor, which is embarrassing when friends are in my 100K car, but it works from 200 feet while the car's remote has to be within ten feet of the door.) I don't have time when approaching the garage to read the menu -- one nice big green non-confusing OPEN GARAGE button, please.

Get bifocal or progressive driving glasses. Use when driving. done.

tried that. I hated it. I wear glasses only for reading or for sun protection. I found bifocals while driving made me a little dizzy. not good while driving.

the fonts on the map are intentionally a little small, to maximize information on the screen. most of the time, that's fine, I can read them well enough to get what I need. but once in a rare while, especially at night (when my pupils are dilated) they're just a little too small. same thing with stuff like song titles and performers names. the thing is, I need them enlarged so rarely that actually wearing a set of glasses is an unnecessary annoyance. so my option is to stop and fish my readers out of the cubby, or wherever they've fallen to this time. (couldn't they have put a steeper slope on it?). Put something under the right scroll wheel (the same one that controls the sunroof and screen brightness) that lets me zoom all fonts until I can read them. click to restore.

If I'm going to actually read something more than a couple of words, I'll stop and put on my readers.

where this really comes up is for street names which are numbers. In the dark, 5, 6, 8 and 9 all look pretty similar when they're just barely beyond your acuity.

If the nav system weren't so awful, this would be a much less pressing issue. but so often, I need to route around its foolishness, and figure out the name of the arterial that I should be using instead of the tiny residential street it's routed me through.

I found bifocals while driving made me a little dizzy. not good while driving.

I guess I was too brief. When I said bifocals -- they are clear glass on top, and "readers" on the bottom (at whatever power you need for reading). The "bifocal line" (for me) is right at the top of the dash so it's neither seen as part of the road or the dashboard (it's essentially invisible). I'm not sure why that would make you dizzy.

tried that. I hated it. I wear glasses only for reading or for sun protection. .

Really, all the problems you describe above are easily fixed with clear/reading bifocals for driving. If you can't see the dash and read everything, that's a problem with your eyes (mine too!), which I don't think should be fixed in the user interface with a "zoom in/zoom out" feature while driving! With my glasses I can see everything perfectly clearly with just a glance down at the dash.

I have a pair of Serengetti sunglasses I use 100% of the time when driving during the day. But they're not bifocals and I couldn't see the dashboard or touchscreen with them. So I got a pair of these: Amazon.com: Hydrotac Stick-on Bifocal Lenses (OPTX 20/20)- +1.25 Diopter: Health Personal Care which just stick on on the inside of the sunglasses, and now I can see perfectly fine all the time, and still have my coveted sunglasses. What's even better, when I'm out and about during the day, I can use the same sunglasses for reading and using my cell phone or iPad without having to switch glasses to "readers".

As you get older, you'll realize (just like I did) that you won't be able to get away with not wearing glasses to read pretty much anything. I need reading glasses just to see my food clearly at a restaurant. You might say "I wear glasses only for reading or for sun protection." now, but give it a year or two, and you'll soon realize that it's much more troublesome to wear glasses almost all the time than hold on to a notion like that.

Getting old sucks.

I guess I was too brief. When I said bifocals -- they are clear glass on top, and "readers" on the bottom (at whatever power you need for reading). The "bifocal line" (for me) is right at the top of the dash so it's neither seen as part of the road or the dashboard (it's essentially invisible). I'm not sure why that would make you dizzy.

because I kept looking through the closeup part at far things. Only by accident, but that's pretty often, I found.

As you get older, you'll realize (just like I did) that you won't be able to get away with not wearing glasses to read pretty much anything. I need reading glasses just to see my food clearly at a restaurant. You might say "I wear glasses only for reading or for sun protection." now, but give it a year or two, and you'll soon realize that it's much more troublesome to wear glasses almost all the time than hold on to a notion like that.

Getting old sucks.

I've needed readers for about 15 years. I've tried the bifocal thing many times. Don't like it. The version I like best is really narrow "granny glasses" that I can see over. I wear them very low, so they are mostly out of my field of view unless I'm looking right down my nose. Your approach keeps them much more in my field of view. It's a lot quicker to move my eyes than move my head.

my uncorrected acuity for anything over about 6 feet is still better than 20/20.

Getting old does suck. But, as they say, it's better than the alternative.

--Snortybartfast.

. Your approach keeps them much more in my field of view. It's a lot quicker to move my eyes than move my head.

I don't move my head either. When I glance down, I see the dashboard and touchscreen (entirely) perfectly clearly. When I look up at the road (through the clear uncorrected part), I see the road. I don't understand the head moving part. I guess I don't understand why you would be looking up at the road through the lower part of the lens.

Don't know if this has been mentioned but my SO said he wished the 'search music' function could actually search from within the USB stick. Is it true that this isn't possible? Sounds like an easy fix, hope they implement it at some point as we have over 30,000 songs in our library which takes forever to scroll through even just the artist names. Without playlists, it's practically non-functional for our purpose. (A lot of our fav music is obscure and not anywhere on Slacker)

+1.

This morning was so frustrating. I decided to try out the voice commands. Told it "Play One Thousands Tears of a Tarantula". It didn't change what it was currently playing. Looked at the screen and there was a list waiting for me to pick something. Well the first entry was the one by Dengue Fever which is what I wanted - hey it understood my speech perfectly! - so I selected it. It'd be a minor annoyance to always have to look at and touch the screen to confirm a voice command, but okay. It starts playing a totally different song. From Slacker. I don't use Slacker, don't even have an account. (Poking around later I see that I do have one now, [email protected]). I tried a few more times, and every time it understood what I was saying, and I picked the song I wanted, but it never played that song, always a different song every time. Maybe that's the way Slacker works, how would I know? Don't care. The point is I wanted and expected it to search USB, which is the source which was currently playing, not Slacker. I could not find a setting to make this happen. Logging out of Slacker just makes it so the search never starts. Frustrating.

+1.

This morning was so frustrating. I decided to try out the voice commands. Told it "Play One Thousands Tears of a Tarantula". It didn't change what it was currently playing. Looked at the screen and there was a list waiting for me to pick something. Well the first entry was the one by Dengue Fever which is what I wanted - hey it understood my speech perfectly! - so I selected it. It'd be a minor annoyance to always have to look at and touch the screen to confirm a voice command, but okay. It starts playing a totally different song. From Slacker. I don't use Slacker, don't even have an account. (Poking around later I see that I do have one now, [email protected]). I tried a few more times, and every time it understood what I was saying, and I picked the song I wanted, but it never played that song, always a different song every time. Maybe that's the way Slacker works, how would I know? Don't care. The point is I wanted and expected it to search USB, which is the source which was currently playing, not Slacker. I could not find a setting to make this happen. Logging out of Slacker just makes it so the search never starts. Frustrating.

I try to use Slacker with voice prompts and general the artist pops up and I have to select the song as described above. I think have the artist but no - lo and behold, the next song is by an entirely different artist. This is probably a Slacker issue rather than Tesla but rather annoying anyway. Software should or could fix it.

I've now owned my P90D for 3 weeks and here's my wish list:

1 -- auto raise of steering wheel when the drivers door is opened
2 -- ability to actually turn the radio OFF, not just mute. Even Kia's have this ability. I find it annoying to listen to the radio, then mute, as when I then get in car again the radio comes on and I have to turn the volume down to zero. Or, make it an option in Settings.
3 -- for cars with the Smart Air Suspension, upgrade it to the Mercedes "Magic Body Control" so that the car "reads" the surface of the road in front of the tires and floats over potholes, bumps, ridges, etc. This would be a major improvement
4 -- a NAV system that doesn't give the goofiest routings imaginable. I thought I could get rid of my portable Garmin unit, but now have it in the car. Also, when I speak or type in an address it often says it can't find it; when I do the same with my Garmin, it immediately finds it. This is embarassing in a $120,000 high tech car.
5 -- rear impact detector. If the rear sensor detects a fast approaching car, flash rear lights to alert the driver of that car, use the front detector to see if there's space available and if so move the car forward so that the oncoming car has more room to stop.
6 -- a forward looking camera. I can not see where the front corners of the car or the leading edge of the nose is, and if I wanted to pull in tight to a space this would be helpful.

3 -- for cars with the Smart Air Suspension, upgrade it to the Mercedes "Magic Body Control" so that the car "reads" the surface of the road in front of the tires and floats over potholes, bumps, ridges, etc. This would be a major improvement

From my experience with the SAS, it just doesn't move that fast. Even going from "Medium" to "High" takes 15 to 20 seconds.

- - - Updated - - -

4 -- a NAV system that doesn't give the goofiest routings imaginable. I thought I could get rid of my portable Garmin unit, but now have it in the car.

When that happens, I just use Google Maps on my iPhone, and it even comes through the car speakers if you have bluetooth connected.

But yeah, some of the routing is nuts.