Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Specifications, Teases and Leaks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love the giant moonroof, and the sedan shape with the fastback/hatchback.

Overall it looks like a real winner to me. Hoping to see lots of them on the road in 2012!

Last edited:
Hatchback like rear opening confirmed:
thumb800x800_3387587729_a2de05dcaf_o.jpg

Beautiful!!

The TM site has not updated the order page as of 5:30 EDT. Actually, with the exception of the LeftLaneNews.com press release there is no other information regarding the unveiling on the TM site.

Looks like two different grilles to me. :biggrin:

Model S - Fast Facts

1. Manufacturer: Tesla Motors
  2. Expected to enter production in 2011
  3. Base Price: $50,000
  4. Car has 3G connectivity1
  5. Features a 17-inch touch-screen console1
  6. Seats five adults1
  7. Truck features two backward-facing jump seats for kids
  8. Aluminum body panel
  9. Carbon option available
  10. Uses high density lithium ion batteries
  11. Three levels of removable battery packs available1
  12. Batteries charge in as little as 45 minutes1
  13. Tesla Model S was unveiled at SpaceX in Hawthorne, California
  14. Digg founder Kevin Rose is said to have leaked photos of the Model S via Twitter2
  15. Profits from the Tesla Model S are expected to fund development of a third, more affordable, Tesla vehicle
  16. Expected to be a top contender for the Progressive Automotive X Prize2
  17. Tesla chief executive Elon Musk says the company hopes to produce around 20,000 units per year at their factory in Southern California3

The 300-mile range is possible (vs the Roadster's 244-mile range) because the S has 8,000 battery cells vs. 6,000 in the Roadster, the batteries have been improved in mass and volumetric performance, and there is more advanced cell chemistry in each cell, and the S has a cd of about .27 vs. the Roadster's drag coefficient of .35.

Well, I'd bet the larger frontal area of the Model S actually makes it use more energy to push through the air than the Roadster with its smaller frontal area (even considering Roadster's higher Cd).

All those "mom and dad + the triplets + the twins" rumors turned out to be true:

Tesla Model S: $50,000 EV sedan seats seven, 300-mile range, 0-60 in 5.5s

I think the boot up front is the bit I hadn't expected. That is very handy. Two places to spread my crap/stuff/things and it means I can keep the rear hatch completely empty and keep the toolbox, first aid kit and other assorted stuff in the front. Very flexible... I like....
I only need a Euro price now.... and I'd like to get some idea of how much the car will cost with the extras I want :)

Cobos

Well, I'd bet the larger frontal area of the Model S actually makes it use more energy to push through the air than the Roadster with its smaller frontal area (even considering Roadster's higher Cd).

So what is it?
244 miles for the Roadster with 53 kWh
160 miles for the S with 42 kWh

So the Roadster is about 20% more efficient per mile than the S if I did my math right. That seems about right given the size and weight difference even if you credit the S for having a better CD.

I had questioned the front boot several months ago and am glad to see they included it. I wish I could see the front boot open and I wish I could see the third row of seats. I am liking everything that I have read so far. And I am pretty sure that I can overlook the grill. I do like the black grill better than the chrome one. It just makes it look smaller. I was sort of hoping that there might be no grill just smooth body. Nice list of stats from Autoblog. Very informative.

I find this quote from the Autoblog article regarding the Model S battery pack VERY intriguing:

"They expect replacement battery packs to come in at "well under $5000" according to Elon."

I am hopeful that means Roadster owners can also expect battery pack costs to be well south of the 20 to 30K that has been speculated? I know the packs are different, but if battery technology has advanced to the degree that such a statement can be made for the Model S, I would think it benefits Roadster owners, too.

And what about the 12K option for battery replacement for Roadster buyers? If I had signed up for that (I didn't), this could cause me to rethink that decision.