Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I totally forgot to comment about the disk storage options. Will Tesla Motors be equipping these cars with SSDs? Did they mean to say 16 GB NAND flash storage? Because a 16 GB hard drive is rather small for a hard drive nowadays....
It has to be either simply SD cards or some other exchangable card or a SSD. I'm pretty sure you are not able to find a 16 or 32GB harddrive any longer. At least not one without a hand crank mechanism :)

Cobos

1) Twin Chargers option is $1500, not $1200
2) Signature price "penalty" is $3550 for non-performance and $5005 for performance, assuming I didn't miss anything.

thx, updated.

difference in same options for signature i see is the Sig has perforated Nappa Leather (good for hot sweaty days).

I put the HPC because they give the twin chargers as standard and you can't really use the twin chargers without the HPC but do I really need it?
The 21" tires are standard with the Sig but I need the 19" tires for the winters here so i guess i will take a set of 19" tires premounted with winter tires as an extra option (no mention of this concept however).

Hmm, I'm pricing the Sig Sport versus non-Sig Sport and as near as I can tell there's a really hefty premium for buying a Sig. It looks like it's about $13k for the various options that'd made a non-Sig Sport and Sig Sport identical. The Sig Sport costs $18k more though.

So it looks like a $5k "Sig" charge. The difference between non-Sig regular and Sig isn't quite as bad. Still $18k base difference, but the base model has more things you'd have to buy, but there's still a multi-thousand dollar "Sig" charge.

I'll have to wait for some clarifications and the eventual web app that accurately prices for me, but I don't want the Sig Red and I don't give a crap about "badging", so I may be dropping my Sig in favor of a regular reservation. Hell, if I avoid the "Sig" charge, I might be able to afford the Sport package. Ironic if I'd have to not get the Sig so I could get Tesla's highest end model.

It has to be either simply SD cards or some other exchangable card or a SSD. I'm pretty sure you are not able to find a 16 or 32GB harddrive any longer. At least not one without a hand crank mechanism :)

Cobos

I'm not sure I'd trust a traditional plate drive anyway. I know there are automotive grade drives now, but still.

Signature seems to cost approximately 10% more. You get the car quicker so that's pretty much it.

1) Twin Chargers option is $1500, not $1200
2) Signature price "penalty" is $3550 for non-performance and $5005 for performance, assuming I didn't miss anything.

Yeah, I'm about to go through and price it myself. I'm not sure badging is worth the extra bump in price, especially as my original P number was low enough that I would have been right behind the sig owners on delivery anyway.

Yeah, not sure why they refer to it as a "hard drive". I also assume it's flash memory. Hopefully they have an SD card slot you can get to somewhere (and upgrade yourself in the future). A 16GB SD card can be had for 20 bucks or less and 128GB cards are available.

Hmm, I'm pricing the Sig Sport versus non-Sig Sport and as near as I can tell there's a really hefty premium for buying a Sig. It looks like it's about $13k for the various options that'd made a non-Sig Sport and Sig Sport identical.

I don't think that's right. Non-Sig Performance configured to look like Sig Performance is:
$79.9K Perf Base
$ 5K Required (leather, air suspension, 21" wheels)
$ 1.5K Multi-coat paint
$ 3.75K Tech Pkg
$ .95K Sound Pkg
$ .25K Shelf
$ 1.5K Twin Chargers
-----------------------------
$92.85K Total Versus $97.9K Sig Performance => $5.05K difference

The way I configured mine, it came to $99,400 vs $94,350 for the same car non-sig (and that's if I wanted the $1500 paint, which I kind of don't). I guess at that point, $5k isn't THAT big of a deal, but I hope there's a bit more than badging and optional things like red paint, white leather and perforated leather (which I do want :smile:).

Loving the carbon fiber options too (especially exterior appointments for the sportier look). Still not liking that the dash looks the same so far :frown:

I'm surprised to see "automatic keyless entry" as part of the tech package. What is that supposed to mean? I'm under the impression the keyless fob doesn't work without this option. lol

The 'automatic keyless entry' will activate the handles when you near the car - tech package. Without the tech package you need to push the button on the key fob to activate the handles.

$92.85K Total Versus $97.9K Sig Performance => $5.05K difference
There's a gap for non Sport as well though I didn't get it calculated exactly.

I upgraded to the Sig thinking it'd be no more expensive at worst. I truly thought it quite possible there'd be some level of a "full package" discount because it'd likely have options I didn't care about (the 2nd charger, for instance), but I'd get a break because I got it as a package and because I forked over $40k up front. No part of me even remotely considered it'd cost extra.

I'm feeling fairly morose actually and hoping the pricing is wrong somehow. I'm not paying thousand of dollars for a badge and getting it a few months early (I had a P slot that'd get it probably by Oct/Nov anyway). I'm a bit depressed thinking what I'm going to have to go through to get a P slot, where I might end up in line, and the wasted months I spent with $35k in Tesla's bank account. I suppose I'll at least wait until the new year before deciding. Tesla's likely crazy flooded with calls and emails and short staffed for the holidays. I'll try and get some answers after the holidays, assuming they don't filter out before then.

Last edited:
I'm surprised the SuperCharger doesn't work with the base 40 kWh car. It isn't even an option ... that may be a deal breaker for me, since S can't use the CHAdeMO chargers as well.

It seems to me that what's going on is that the larger batteries have higher power. That would explain the faster 0-60 times, the higher top speeds, and also the lack of "supercharging" on the smaller batteries: They just can't accept energy that fast. It makes sense when you think about it. Sticking in 160 miles of charge in a half hour to a 160 mile battery is a full charge in a half hour (2C). Doing the same for a 300 mile battery is a little more than half that rate (1.1C).

If I'm right, you'll see a set of torque curves for the different battery sizes that are identical for low speeds, but that level off earlier for the smaller batteries. Meaning, roughly, that the smaller battery cars will be faster at, say, 0-30 (because of equal torque and less mass), but then lag behind significantly at higher speeds. I don't find this in the least surprising, it pretty much falls out of the basic physics, and the only way it wouldn't work that way would be if Tesla didn't build the rest of the car to handle the extra power, and that would seem very un-Tesla-like.

Another interesting thing that comes out of the specs is the energy efficiency. 40 kWh/160 miles = 250 Wh/mile, which is just a hair worse than the Roadster for a MUCH larger and heavier car. They clearly did a great job with the aerodynamics and maybe inverter/motor efficiency. 85 kHw/300 miles = 283 kWh/mile, so you pay a 13% efficiency penalty for the extra mass of the battery.