Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know ... I have no idea. I never received any notification or scheduled any update, but thought I had the 1.15.8 version originally (but not sure).
Yah, this theory is starting to sound very plausible.

1. Get home, car is fine, 1.15.8
2. Plug in, silent update to 1.15.14
3. Go to look at vehicle to research some forum questions and find the messages
And hopefully...
4. Sometime today I get the big update pushed to my car and everything is happy again

- - - Updated - - -

The update is to 1.17.50. Car will automatically update itself at 2am overnight once it downloads the update (at least mine did).
Wish we knew the incantation to trigger this. I'd like to explore the features today rather than tomorrow or mid-week.

Mine just popped that message as well as "Charge Cable Connected" even though it's been charging for a while now at 240/40.

Maybe there's something related to the update coming out that is improperly triggering this messaging?

Exactly the same as me, car was charging overnight, came out this morning to check for the update and found the same message. Car reads firmware v. 1.15.14.

Here are my service issues in the first two weeks:

- ambient light hum - known issue and being investigated
- front passenger exterior door handle does not always retract
- errant TPMS warnings & other service warnings
- drivers seat does not go that forward - no issue for me @ 5'11" but shorter drivers may take exception - supposedly a "feature" for airbag safety
- front passenger interior door trim is loose and rattles horribly on close

Glad to report new firmware version 4.0 fixed problem with Homelink starting and stopping garage door half way. Garage door works perfectly now and senses when you are near automatically displaying the opening function.

Love the door handles auto extending and voice commands too.

I am on day 11 with "Tesie" as my neighbors have now named my Sig 924 Perfomance. What a great ride coming back from Fremont to Carlsbad over 3 days. It is truly an amazing car and I have had a great time scaring friends and neighbors with all the torque. I also have a few issues but no show stoppers.

1. My passenger door also takes more effort to close than the others. This has been pretty consistent. I hope it can be adjusted.

2. I have seen one time where my camera spit the screen where things that should be on the bottom (i.e parking lot) showed at the top half of the screen and the building behind was at the bottom half. Pretty strange. It has only happened once. Soft reboot of the console cleared it and I haven't seen it since. Working for a tech company my boss got quite a kick out of me having to "reboot my car" in front of him.

3. My AM stations pick up what appears to be electrical interference while accelerating or regenning. (My wife thought she was hearing sirens way behind us.) I listen to talk radio a lot so that is a bit annoying for me. I am hoping they can figure out a way to shield that.

4. I have noticed the drive train feels a little loose when in stop and go traffic between 4 and 9 miles an hour. It makes a little jerk when decelerating and then accelerating at low speeds. Anyone else feel this? My service manager said he had heard of it but couldn't recreate it. I have only noticed it at these very slow speeds (thanks California traffic.)

5. Homelink doesn't want to talk to my Chamberlin opener. Hopefully update will fix that.

6. Since I got the car I haven't figured out a way to wipe this silly grin off my face while driving. I figure it will take Tesla quite awhile to solve this one.

Pat

PS. I haven't gone into the San Diego service center yet but Chip and Bill have been great to talk with on the phone to answer questions and log these problems. Sean Berwald at owner experience is just plain awesome. Give that man more stock options please.

@brianman - see my note two messages back. I called it in and they are aware of it. No word on a "fix" other than potentially dimming the lights.
Totally missed that. Thanks for the heads up and update.

- - - Updated - - -

Glad to report new firmware version 4.0 fixed problem with Homelink starting and stopping garage door half way. Garage door works perfectly now and senses when you are near automatically displaying the opening function.
Happy to hear this... and more impatient for my update to arrive.

4. I have noticed the drive train feels a little loose when in stop and go traffic between 4 and 9 miles an hour. It makes a little jerk when decelerating and then accelerating at low speeds. Anyone else feel this? My service manager said he had heard of it but couldn't recreate it. I have only noticed it at these very slow speeds (thanks California traffic.)

I have noticed this as well. Its as though the car "hesitates" and/or "shudders" at that low speed. It seems to be something that happens when the car is neither regenerating nor accelerating; meaning that odd moment of transition between the two. We notice it at low speed because you're very likely to be transitioning between the two frequently.

I did notice that the v4 software update mentions throttle response, and I'm wondering if this is what it will fix?

@digitaltim: The two workarounds for ambient light buzz is to A) increase screen brightness to 100% or B) turn off the ambient lights. I did (B)--I like the ambient lights, and would ultimately like them fixed, but since it is likely to be a hardware change that will take a while, I can live with them off for now.

I am on day 11 with "Tesie" as my neighbors have now named my Sig 924 Perfomance. What a great ride coming back from Fremont to Carlsbad over 3 days. It is truly an amazing car and I have had a great time scaring friends and neighbors with all the torque ...

Congrats Pat! I was thinking that I should be seeing your car in the neighborhood now that most of the Sigs have been delivered. I'll look for the red blur going down Alga...

-Mike

Congrats Pat! I was thinking that I should be seeing your car in the neighborhood now that most of the Sigs have been delivered. I'll look for the red blur going down Alga...

-Mike

Thanks Mike,

I am having a lot of fun but with the rain lately I didn't realize how hard it is to keep a red car clean. You will see me probably closer to your house than you think. I have been cruising up Alicante as part of my track to take friends for rides. (Of course never going over the speed limit.) Let me know if you would like to check out the car.

One other thing I should add to issues which I have seen on the forums before is that the bass in the back speakers is weak whether Dolby is on or off. I thought they had that worked out but apparently not. My expectations for the sound system are much higher than what I am getting right now.

@digitaltim: The two workarounds for ambient light buzz is to A) increase screen brightness to 100% or B) turn off the ambient lights. I did (B)--I like the ambient lights, and would ultimately like them fixed, but since it is likely to be a hardware change that will take a while, I can live with them off for now.
Actually, on my car setting the night screen brightness to anything over 75% stops the ambient lighting buzz. I've got it set to 80%, which is brighter than I'd like, but stops the hum. I like the ambient lighting enough to put up with the slightly too-bright screens at night.

Actually, on my car setting the night screen brightness to anything over 75% stops the ambient lighting buzz. I've got it set to 80%, which is brighter than I'd like, but stops the hum. I like the ambient lighting enough to put up with the slightly too-bright screens at night.
I have my Night set to 25%, and leave Night on full-time. I find it much more to my liking. Day at 100% is insanely bright, IMO.