Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When was the last time any of us was quietly stalked through a forum by a car manufacturer wanting to fix our cars?

WHEN?

:)

I had it happen back in 2007 when joining in the many complaints over on bimmerfest.com on terrible automatic transmission behavior on my wife's then new BMW X3.

A day after posting someone from BMW called me up to say they saw my post and promised me a transmission reprogram as soon as one was available. Weird thing was, I had _no_ identifying information there _at all_. To this day I'm still not sure how they found me.

Got today the famous Tesla preventive service call :D someone mentioned the parking breaks locking hard on his Model S on some thread and I contributed that when I paked my car two weeks ago for four days and then moved it the first time there too was a loud crack when the parking break broke free. So today I suddenly got a call from Tesla Copenhagen Service that they had heard that I had had an issue with my parking break locking after 4 days of standing and if everything was fine or they could do something.

I laughed and mentioned that I had only mentioned it on TMC and that all was fine as I considered it normal for high performance cars and have experienced it before with my evo x too. He laughed and confirmed indeed that it does happen if the car isd riven and then with warm breaks left to stand a day or more with parking break engaged and as long as all was fine with no odd noise or anything else afterwards, then I'm good. Thanked him for superb service and promised to lett hem know the moment there's anything they can do to help. Truly hard to believe such service truly exists :)

Edit: also remember I'm far away from core market with closest service center >1000km away and a sea in the middle.

I just got one from Heather in Sunnyvale for my creak! I guess they are monitoring these forums and there was enough info in my signature for them to find me. Kinda makes me think they might actually have a fix for this. It's a small creak, but I have to say, it's been kind of a buzz kill. If they can really fix it, that would take care of the only real complaint I have with the car. :)

Well son of a gun! They seem to have fixed it. I went by the Sunnyvale Service Center and "Heather" turned out to be someone I used to work with! So that was a nice surprise. Told me that someone from HQ sent an Alert to the Service Manger and he in turn sent it to her. So I guess they do Monitor this thread. Good to know.

At any rate, they were very professional and friendly as always, and so far nary a peep out of my Pana Roof. Can't tell you how happy that makes me. It was a small thing I could've probably lived with, but this is better. I won't miss it. ;)

They also updated the Software (not version 6) and did another noise fix in the Chrome piece around the rear window door pillar that I didn't even ask for. Apparently it was a TSB. So all in all a pretty successful trip. Took about an hour and I got to show them all the Easter Egg in the Tesla Screen and the Time4Tesla Clock. They were duly impressed and wondered how the heck I knew about that stuff. I told I have connections online. ;)

One thing I have is a terrible loud squeak coming from a fan near the front passenger side of the car when the AC is running. It does this at any temperature. All I have to do is turn on AC. You can hear is best through the wheel well. They said it was a "known issue" and that "there is no official fix yet, but Fremont is working on it." It's quite bad, and embarrassing to drive up sounding like I have an 1980s era beater with a bad fan belt.

The fan issue seems to happen range mode or no. BUT. I'd like to follow up and say that apparently Tesla ownership reads this thread. (Everyone wave! Hi folks!) I just got a call from the regional service manager to talk about the fan issue based on my post above. He promised to get the fan issue fixed.

Tesla service is absolutely the best.

Just to follow up and close my own thread. Service ended up replacing both condenser fans. Once they got the parts in and covers off they could make them squeak just by spinning the fan with a finger. So they replaced them both. Squeak is gone! And they even fixed up a couple more things I hadn't even noticed.

That's the huge difference here with tesla service. Since they aren't a profit center, the service folks are motivated to look for and fix stuff. Even the little stuff, even if you don't ask.

Well we'll see if I get a response for my problem. I have an early 2012 P85 (VIN: 01586) and I have been having the humming sound from inverter around 70MPH or so. I have taken the car to the local Service Center and they did not do any thing about it. They have otherwise been good about taking care of other things like the suspension updates etc. I also changed my tires to new Michelins but the loud hum persists. I have had more problems with this car than I could list on one post. Most of them have been simple to fix - like adjusting the hood, the doors, the hatch etc for alignment and replacing door handles because the doors were opening on their own etc. etc. The big problem is the loud hum from the inverter/drive unit. I hope someone from the factory reads my post or I guess I'll have to go to their HQ in Palo Alto and ask for help. Luckily I live in the Bay Area (North Bay) so I have quite a few options.

Unlucky day today. Two issues - secondary onboard charger is toast and my rear right door unlatches every time I park (hit park on stalk).

Awaiting call back from the service center. The phone support person was not surprised at the charger this morning but was completely bewildered at the unlatching later in the day when it started happening.

Is it a virus haha?

Tesla has known about this for at least a year.

Watch starting at 4:08. This was a test drive with a Tesla employee(video uploaded July 15th 2012...so they've known about this for over a year).

Excerpt from Tesla employee:
"that is a connector that has a lot of current going through it. And there's just enough electricity in it that its where it vibrates just at the right frequency where it's audible.. We're actually thinking about changing the frequency of the electricity that goes through there so its not audible...we're aware of that noise ...its just the connector...like a little whistle. We actually call it the "deflating balloon sound."

As I told bareyb in person at NPID yesterday, the P85 Model S I test drove made the same "deflating balloon" sound the 2x I was able to hammer it. It's pretty noticeable.
Hat tip to yobgid20 for posting the memo at Motor Whine Gone: Bizarre, awesome side effect of 5.8.8?? - Page 2 re: the squeal. I don't know if it's been posted here before. In short, it's normal.

I'd imagine some folks missed the memo. Hope I'm not repeating a post of it here.

What I heard during my test drive sounded most like what's at Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues - Page 202.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hat tip to yobgid20 for posting the memo at Motor Whine Gone: Bizarre, awesome side effect of 5.8.8?? - Page 2 re: the squeal. I don't know if it's been posted here before. In short, it's normal.

I'd imagine some folks missed the memo. Hope I'm not repeating a post of it here.

What I heard during my test drive sounded most like what's at Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues - Page 202.

:) I can't take credit for it though. Someone else posted it on these forums. Probably under the high pitch balloon squeal thread.

As I mentioned in my post above, I had numerous fixable problems in the past which were pretty much all fixed by the Service centers. I attributed most of them to being an early adopter (11/2012 delivery). I have in the past, twice posted on this forum about the great service I have received from my local Service Center in San Rafael, CA. Except for the major problem with the hum issue which they did not address and the recent small lug nuts problem everything has been great.

Well a little while ago I received a call from the Service Manager offering to reimburse the charge for the lug nuts because it was similar to the problem on the Edmunds car. They are also going to address my loud humming issue at freeway speeds (The longer I drive on a trip the louder it gets, especially on a warm day. It was really bad when I drove from SF to LA & back a few months ago.)

So, once again a great response from Tesla Service. As I have said before, it is us the owners who sell cars for Tesla - especially when we are happy with our own experience. Tesla doesn't spend a dime on advertising because we spread the good word for them. It is very important for the success of the company to not have unhappy customers some of whom have spent over a $100K. Keep it up Tesla and we will keep spreading the good word!

Can you elaborate on this? Thanks.

After having new Michelin tires put on the car at a Tire Shop, when I went for wheel alignment & an update to rear camber & some kind of suspension bolts so right rear tire would not wear out prematurely (apparently there is an update for this issue), when they removed the wheels the lug nuts got stuck in the socket and they had to tap them out from the other end causing dimples in the lug nuts. If you read the complete Edmunds blog the same thing happened to their car's lug nuts when it was towed in after going dead near the freeway in LA.

After having new Michelin tires put on the car at a Tire Shop, when I went for wheel alignment & an update to rear camber & some kind of suspension bolts so right rear tire would not wear out prematurely (apparently there is an update for this issue), when they removed the wheels the lug nuts got stuck in the socket and they had to tap them out from the other end causing dimples in the lug nuts. If you read the complete Edmunds blog the same thing happened to their car's lug nuts when it was towed in after going dead near the freeway in LA.
Ok, that's what I suspected. Yes, the soft metal at the top of the lug nuts has crossed over into "evil" in my book. I've already ruined 4 of them. (Luckily I have an "extra" 20 from the 19" wheels I bought used.)

I hope Tesla comes out with new ones that don't suck.

My issue with the rear seat belts is different. The latches are so recessed which makes the rear seat look nice, but which at the same time makes it difficult to engage them especially since most of my passengers are of a certain age with some mobility/flexibility impairment. I already called attention to this during my one and only visit to the Longwood SC but they cannot be extended. And I am not about to start cutting the leather back there either. Anybody else with this problem?

I have the exact same issue. The seatbelt latch is so recessed on one side that I had to buy an extender from Amazon for guests to be able to buckle up. I mention it to my SC every time I take the car in, but so far no solution offered. This is like the rear passenger window that goes down every time my knee bumps the door window button. I've complained about it forever, even to Jerome and made a suggestion to have the drivers side disable button work for drivers rear window button as well. Complete blow off response. I'm really getting tired of spending my weekends at car shows "selling" Teslas and spending $$ on "educational" materials to help people better understand the car to be treated this way.