Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know what this is: About one time in ten when I'm getting out of the car, it will start to "chime" in sets of three "bongs" for maybe 30 seconds. This isn't the rapid three bongs you get when an alert comes up on the dash, but slower and makes me think of a key-in-ignition or headlights on reminder. There's no message of any sort on the screen, and it does stop on it's own. I'm curious to know what the car is trying to tell me. :confused:

Anyone know what this is: About one time in ten when I'm getting out of the car, it will start to "chime" in sets of three "bongs" for maybe 30 seconds. This isn't the rapid three bongs you get when an alert comes up on the dash, but slower and makes me think of a key-in-ignition or headlights on reminder. There's no message of any sort on the screen, and it does stop on it's own. I'm curious to know what the car is trying to tell me. :confused:

In a few different threads it's been surmised this is accidental touching of the brake pedal when getting in tothe car and thus the door is still open.

It's happened to me on a number of occasions, and I'm not convinced I touched the pedal, but I've yet to hear another plausible cause...

In a few different threads it's been surmised this is accidental touching of the brake pedal when getting in tothe car and thus the door is still open.

I'm pretty sure that's not it because it usually starts when I'm half way out of the car. I'll certainly pay attention to it, however.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe that's been narrowed down to the FOB in your pocket being "clicked" to lock by accident .... with the door open.

This could be more likely it. I might be pressing it as I swing my legs out of the car.

It is a "different" sounding alert which is what made me wonder. With most messages and alerts, there is a rapid "bing-bing-bing" sound, but this is more like the old key-in-ignition chime some ICE cars will give,

I have a P85 VIN:1586 bought in 11/2012. I have close to 16K miles on the car. I live in the Bay Area where the temp today is approximately 70. Last night I did a range charge for only the 4th time since owning the car and I was shocked to see that the Rated Miles on a full charge are only 246. I never let the battery get down below 100- 140 miles. I only used the Superchargers on the way back from LA last year on I-5 because the ones on 101 were not active at the time. When I Supercharged on that trip, I only charged to 90% or less. My car is usually charged to 170-180 miles for daily use. My 90% Rated charge is down to 212. I have been doing all the right things espoused by Tesla - like leaving the car plugged in most of the time so I am very disappointed to see the loss in range. My life time Wh per mile is 316.
I feel this is unacceptable. I have taken care of the car and bought 8 year extended warranty and maintenance plans, had the car serviced on time. I don't hod rod or race the car because I have a bad back and have had neck surgery. I think it is time to get in touch with the higher ups in Tesla and find out what the hell is going on here. This is very upsetting to say the least.

I have a P85 VIN:1586 bought in 11/2012. I have close to 16K miles on the car. I live in the Bay Area where the temp today is approximately 70. Last night I did a range charge for only the 4th time since owning the car and I was shocked to see that the Rated Miles on a full charge are only 246. I never let the battery get down below 100- 140 miles. I only used the Superchargers on the way back from LA last year on I-5 because the ones on 101 were not active at the time. When I Supercharged on that trip, I only charged to 90% or less. My car is usually charged to 170-180 miles for daily use. My 90% Rated charge is down to 212. I have been doing all the right things espoused by Tesla - like leaving the car plugged in most of the time so I am very disappointed to see the loss in range. My life time Wh per mile is 316.
I feel this is unacceptable. I have taken care of the car and bought 8 year extended warranty and maintenance plans, had the car serviced on time. I don't hod rod or race the car because I have a bad back and have had neck surgery. I think it is time to get in touch with the higher ups in Tesla and find out what the hell is going on here. This is very upsetting to say the least.

Welcome to my world! (vin #1571, 17,000 miles)

You car and battery are very likely fine, don't worry about it.

Cars charged to less than 90% regularly and rarely range-charged are more likely to drift out of balance as it's harder to balance a pack when it's not near full or full.

Yes that's what I've understood as well. The basic only way to test this is to drive it to low charge, charge to 100% (and let it sit until it finishes the charge itself) and repeat it soon after going again to 0 and then charge to 100%. With a couple of cycles you should see the range creeping back, but you won't see it on the first cycle as I understood so it has to be at least 2-3 cycles to start seeing the improvement. I think someone was told by Tesla to do it preferably in winter and range charge many times in row to let the pack balance and he was back to almost no degradation after a couple of weeks (and had 40k miles on it?). There is a thread under Battery and Charging here somewhere.

I'm not sure there is any good reason to drive it to or near to 0 to balance the pack. Lithium has no memory effect and the balancing takes place near the end of charge, assuming they are top balancing the cells. Leaving it plugged in for extended periods after range charging should do the trick.

I'm not sure there is any good reason to drive it to or near to 0 to balance the pack. Lithium has no memory effect and the balancing takes place near the end of charge, assuming they are top balancing the cells. Leaving it plugged in for extended periods after range charging should do the trick.

I think the idea here is to have has much "empty space" in the cells as possible so that the "sprinkler filling a number of glasses" effect reduces the difference in charge level on the way up so some of the balancing happens before the one minute remaining. This assumes a somewhat slow rate of charging.

I'm not convinced that running to zero and then going to 100% just to balance the pack is a good thing unless your pack is very badly out of balance.