Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Tire Wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note that the UTQG doesn't really work for comparing different manufacturers' tires because there is a lot of wiggle room in the specification. FWIW, I'm getting over 40K on Michelin Primacy. The OE GYs' came off at 13K--not all the GY's fault, about 50% GY and 50% alignment of the earlier cars.

Yea, I read that about the UTQG, making it near worthless. But the Pirelli's have a 70k warranty... and arrive to my house today, so I guess we shall see! 40k does sound nice, but is that 40k with what style of driving? I tend to punch it... pretty much all the time... lol

I have a 2013 85 S and was never so happy to have a flat tire earlier this week.

While repairing the tire by removing a nail the mechanic showed me that between April (last flat) and today the alignment had gone out..

The tires were riding off the tread and were in danger of a blowout.

Has anyone had an alignment done outside a Tesla shop?

I do not want to put the new tires on before the alignment is addressed.

Winnipeg, Canada area.

Thank you

Yea, I read that about the UTQG, making it near worthless. But the Pirelli's have a 70k warranty... and arrive to my house today, so I guess we shall see! 40k does sound nice, but is that 40k with what style of driving? I tend to punch it... pretty much all the time... lol
Hello

How are the Pirellis holding on ? I’m looking in to getting them. Are them smoth? I have 19”

I'm going on 40k+ miles on my ContiContactSport tires. I have a 2013 P85 with 21" wheels. Air suspension always on low setting. I tend to punch the throttle once or twice a day, but most of my driving is freeway. I try to max-range it with gentle regen braking when driving regularly. I almost make a game out of it and keep acceleration to below 40kw. I was worried about the low tread life of 21" + low suspension settings, but didn't turn out to be too bad.

Reactions: David99
23k miles on my current set and when I was in for a rotation at my local place today I was told that the rear (now in front) were worn down to 4mm and they recommend replace at 3mm. So I'll likely have them replaced in January, it's a little close but the rears are now at 5mm. So I expect to replace them at about 25k.

I replaced the OE Goodyears at 28,000 miles. Now the Michelin Primacy tires are down to 5/32 after only 20k miles. I'm really surprised by that because we keep the tires inflated to around 48 PSI and don't drive aggressively. I'm very disappointed in the life of the Michelin Primacy tires. I've had them before and have never had them wear out this quickly.

Reactions: Mucall
I replaced the OE Goodyears at 28,000 miles. Now the Michelin Primacy tires are down to 5/32 after only 20k miles. I'm really surprised by that because we keep the tires inflated to around 48 PSI and don't drive aggressively. I'm very disappointed in the life of the Michelin Primacy tires. I've had them before and have never had them wear out this quickly.
I thought 45psi was recommended....48 seems high especially when you drive and the tire temp increased by 2-5 degrees depending on temp and pavement

no. higher pressure will wear them from the center out. too low and they wear from outside in. Just the right pressure is where you want to be. 45 psi for cold tires on the 21", they go to 46-47 when hot. My Michelin PS4's are wearing evenly after 6 months and 27'000km / 17'000mi

Wouldn't a slightly higher PSI reduce tire wear?
as ZeeDoktor has said, if tires are over inflated, they will wear from center....you will also have a harder ride because they are expanded....Softer ride with under inflated tires will wear on the outsides........if you are only wearing down on the inside or the outside, have the alignment checked....

I have 5400 miles on my 2020 Model S and keep at 45psi....Evenly wearing and still look like new....Although I do not like the Goodyears per se, the are soft riding and seem to grip very well

In my Prius days I used to over inflate: 35 psi tires run at 42psi. This had a significant (positive) impact on mileage, but it also wore them from the center out, and most importantly resulted in significant (!!!) decrease in traction. 99% of my driving in those days was bush (that's the empty country that's not red, if it's red we call it the outback in Australia). Braking action wasn't quite so important, and the car had no performance to speak of. That's different for a Tesla and when in traffic.

So be very careful when running tires outside specs, your braking distance can double when 5psi above where they should be. Lower rolling resistance translates into less friction, and thus poorer braking.