Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Tire Wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have ~33,000 miles on the original set of Michelins. Mostly highway driving, and while I certainly enjoy the acceleration I don't *really* push the car around all that much. I'm estimating that I'll get at least 38k on this set, and maybe into the low 40's.

I have 6700 miles on my P85 CPO and down to 3/32 on rears, brand new. Tesla serice was no help at all. I called Michelin, and I have to have them inspected by certified Michelin dealer and then try to get pro-rated replacements. Limited tread warranty on the tires is 50,000. Anxious to see how it plays out, but 13% is a little ridiculous, hard driving or not.

I got 24k miles out of my original Continental 21s on my P85. Could have got 2-3k more miles out of them, but they were getting loud so I replaced. Have 31k miles on Michelin 19s, and should get another 20k out of them easily, probably another 30k.

I took off the 19s on day one of ownership. They just looked too plain for the car IMO. The 21s were a non-starter because of the price and the oddball size. 20" wheels have a much better tire selection and price, so I went with aftermarket. So far I've had Continental Extreme Contact DWS for 25k miles, and now I have Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus on there with 13k miles and will easily make it to 25k. That's with spirited driving and rough Portland roads.

Each of these sets were around $1000 installed from Tirerack. I picked them for their tread life rating, which were excellent (The Pirelli has a UTQG of 700!). The Continentals would have lasted a bit longer but I had a blow out and decided to buy all 4 corners.

One major drawback of using a 20" wheel is Tesla can't bail you out with a spare if you get a flat. In my case, I put a half inch hole in one tire from road debris. This meant:
A) I was on the side of the road for 2 hours waiting for a tow truck.
B) The tow only got me to my house, because the tire was not repairable.
C) I had to order tires online because nobody stocked 20" XL tires that weren't meant for a truck.
D) I had to either get the car towed to an installer, or take the wheel off and make three trips to the installer.
In the end it took me about 6 hours to accomplish all of this. Maybe the 19s aren't so bad!

21 inch tires are a lot better! Believe me its worth it!

Attachments

• IMG_5070.jpg
    IMG_5070.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 197
After much handwringing on my part due in no small part to reading forum posts that have been all over the map, I sit here today with 53,667 miles on OEM 19" Michelins, and there's still a wee bit of tread to go before hitting 2/32".

I have an appointment now rescheduled into early next month for a set of OEM Goodyears (not the new Eagle Touring that comes with new Model S now), which will be installed for under $500 out the door without certs.

Fun fact now verified at 2 different SvCs in 2 different regions: Tesla has committed to free rotations of any OEM
replacement tire as long as it is exactly that (so for 19s there are now 3 choices). Also, it's $125 for mounting/balancing a full set rather than $50x4 although still no certs.

Learned a few more things about why the Michelins are simply a much better tire than the Goodyear RS A-2: 1) deeper/maximum stiping, 2) steel belts from edge to edge, 3) low rolling resistance so up to +3% more range.

I have 6700 miles on my P85 CPO and down to 3/32 on rears, brand new. Tesla serice was no help at all. I called Michelin, and I have to have them inspected by certified Michelin dealer and then try to get pro-rated replacements. Limited tread warranty on the tires is 50,000. Anxious to see how it plays out, but 13% is a little ridiculous, hard driving or not.

Go to a tire dealer that works with Michelin. They will contact them and tell you what Michelin will cover under warranty. That is what I did with my 19's that were replaced at 12,500 miles. America's tire was the dealer I went too.

"
now I have Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus on there with 13k miles and will easily make it to 25k. That's with spirited driving and rough Portland roads.

Each of these sets were around $1000 installed from Tirerack. I picked them for their tread life rating, which were excellent (The Pirelli has a UTQG of 700!)."

- after research on Tire Rack, the Pirelli's are my next choice, once I destroy my current set. My friend works at a Porsche dealer, and says he sees these on a lot of higher end cars. According to reviews, they have good grip, and wear. and I think a 70k tread life warranty...

So sick of TIRES!

Time to do some maths... because... that's fun right? (Clarkson always says maths, so I like that word).
Please forgive the fonts/sizes this stupid thing doesn't have a format painter button...?

Installed the Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 at 26,000 miles. UTQG of 440.

Checked Friday, with 34,500 miles = 8,500 miles of use. Never rotated... (Why bother, just replace the rears 2x, right?)
All wear is dead even, so it may be down to me enjoying my car... ;)
According to the Service Center "Less spirited driving may result in less tire wear"... To which I replied, I'll be looking to trade in my S85 for a 90D, so I can wear them all out at once next time :)

New is 10/32"
Fronts: 8/32"
Rear: 3/32"

So, I think we can assume tire wear of: fronts = 2/32" in 8500, while rear = 7/32" in 8500.

Assuming I rotate them, and go another 8500, I'll have fronts at 1/32" and rears at 2/32" and need some new sneakers.
We are going to assume the cost of shipping/installing/disposing/etc of tires is pretty much the same regardless of who makes them...

RS-A2s: $115/tire = tread life of approx 17,000 miles for me. = $460 to go 17,000 miles or $0.027058 / mile
(Tire Rack as of 7/5/16) (Zero tread life warranty). UTQG of 440 = 17,000 miles

17000 miles / 440 rating = 38.636 miles/rating

38.636 miles/rating * 700 = 27,000 miles.

Pirelli
Cinturato P7

$224 / tire
700 UTQG = 27,000 miles. (I hope?)

$896 in tires to go 27,000 miles = $0.03318

SNAP. The Goodyears, are CHEAPER per mile, but factoring in the many, many more mounts/balances... the Pirelli's should prove cheaper (and have better grip!)

There are some significant assumptions about UTQG here, but I'm growing, very, very tired of new tires every 17,000...

27,000 is a much nicer number, and I do plan to rotate these, as well as the Pirelli's have a 70,000 tread-life (pro rated) warranty....

Anyway, thought I'd share my thought process. Seems the Pirelli's are deff the way to go. the reviews on tire rack (sorted by Tesla only), seem to agree. There's a $60 mail in rebate as well, ends tomorrow. so I guess I'm buying NOW... to save $60 in the long run, right? Leaving them sit in my garage while my car does another 8500 won't hurt...