Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to model 3 regret?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't wait to see the Model 3 with AWD +/- Ludicrous, air suspension, power liftgate and an actual key fob to be able to open that trunk with ease. First world problems I know, just not sure I can give up those luxuries just yet...

Reactions: GTKAZ
My assumption or guesstimate is $5K for AWD, $3K for air suspension, and $10K for performance motor/package

Musk has already said AWD price will be below $5K. You're just using the old Model S price difference, right? These are inherently smaller motors, $3500-$4000 seems far more likely. For some reason you're estimating the air suspension option even higher than the S&X pricing was? Given that the M3's suspension has significantly less load to handle than on an S or X, thats seems doubly unlikely.

I bought one of the first AP1 S85s and have had it over 3 years. My Model 3 configuration email arrived a couple months ago. I had the chance to see and go over am M3 in great detail, and decided to keep my MS, at least for now. I found the decision to go trunk instead of hatch a bigger deal than I expected as the implementation of the trunk is overly compromised to accommodate a glass roof, which I view as a gimmick.

I found the implementation of AP to be compromised without the ability to change following distances without diving into a screen menu, something that I do almost every single time I use AP in my MS. I also felt the design was overly reliant on software, for example with the windshield wipers, again a step back IMO.

I also wasn't thrilled with the look in person (it's not ugly, but it's not gorgeous like the Model S) and the many reports of poor initial build quality put me off at least for now. I still have my deposit but no longer feel the need to get it right away.

Last edited:
Musk has already said AWD price will be below $5K. You're just using the old Model S price difference, right? These are inherently smaller motors, $3500-$4000 seems far more likely. For some reason you're estimating the air suspension option even higher than the S&X pricing was? Given that the M3's suspension has significantly less load to handle than on an S or X, thats seems doubly unlikely.

Sure, but the AP costs the same $5K and the premium package is another $5K like the Model S, and the performance version of the S100D is an additional $32.7K so my calculations might be wishful thinking and underestimating for a Model 3 performance version. I also personally do not think there will be an air suspension option for the model 3 anytime soon, but went with it for the sake of comparison.

• Disagree
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Sure, but the AP costs the same $5K and the premium package is another $5K like the Model S...

Which is a VERY poor analogy to leverage an off of, especially the software (and not a whole lot better when comments that don't scale that much, and the roof which is something different). In the face a confirmed direct statement on the D option price, saying "nope, lower". And in no way supports an argument that the air coils will be more expensive than the S & X. :rolleyes: Bonkers.

On the P side of things it's all really all wild-ass speculation at this point, so while your numbers there don't make a whole lot of sense there either it's not like there's much to hang on to figure out the direction from there so it's all a big *shrug*....and a red herring that you've thrown in.

Which is a VERY poor analogy to leverage an off of, especially the software (and not a whole lot better when comments that don't scale that much, and the roof which is something different). In the face a confirmed direct statement on the D option price, saying "nope, lower". And in no way supports an argument that the air coils will be more expensive than the S & X. :rolleyes: Bonkers.

On the P side of things it's all really all wild-ass speculation at this point, so while your numbers there don't make a whole lot of sense there either it's not like there's much to hang on to figure out the direction from there so it's all a big *shrug*....and a red herring that you've thrown in.

Well the P for performance for the Model S adds more than just software, that's why a Model S P100D is 58 lbs heavier than a Model S 100D (that's your fun fact of the day)

The whole point of my fictitious Model 3 upgrades/performance costs was to compare apples to apples with a Model S and Model 3 that are closer in performance and luxury options. If I said that the air suspension will be $1000 more and the performance version will add $12K to the price, resulting in the same overall price, will that make the numbers make more sense to you?

Well the P for performance for the Model S adds more than just software, that's why a Model S P100D is 58 lbs heavier than a Model S 100D (that's your fun fact of the day)

The whole point of my fictitious Model 3 upgrades/performance costs was to compare apples to apples with a Model S and Model 3 that are closer in performance and luxury options. If I said that the air suspension will be $1000 more and the performance version will add $12K to the price, resulting in the same overall price, will that make the numbers make more sense to you?

It would address the blatant goosing of the air coil price, that reeks of you trying to rig the comparison to a given outcome.

Not so much you bringing in the red herrings of:
1) price when you had already tried to dismiss $ anyway AND the context of your initial post didn't deal with $
2) the "performance" option when you get to just make up what it means, in price and whatever else

Just can't shake the sense that you are "rigging" to try come to a preordained conclusion....and this post from you has, if anything, further set that.

"What if I changed this number not to be outrageous but then moved this other rectally extracted number to come up with the same total?" :confused: That just drives home how BS made-up your scenario is, with a few numbers jiggered, including a total fudge number that makes up the bulk of it, to come to a given end number....that isn't even really relevant any to your argument.

Fin. Goodbye.

Last edited:
It would address the blatant goosing of the air coil price, that reeks of you trying to rig the comparison to a given outcome.

Not so much you bringing in the red herrings of:
1) price when you had already tried to dismiss $ anyway AND the context of your initial post didn't deal with $
2) the "performance" option when you get to just make up what it means, in price and whatever else

Just can't shake the sense that you are "rigging" to try come to a preordained conclusion....and this post from you has, if anything, further set that.

"What if I changed this number not to be outrageous but then moved this other rectally extracted number to come up with the same total?" :confused:

Fin. Goodbye.

If by rigging you mean I stated that Tesla will not allow the Model 3 performance version to be as fast as the more expensive Model S, then I simply stated my opinion and you can disagree with it if you'd like.

The whole point of this thread is to find if there is "regret from leaving a Model S to get a Model 3". From my previous posts the simple answer is if value (i.e. money, funds, payments) is the main concern then absolutely not. You're going to love the Model 3. Dollar for dollar the Model 3 is a better value. If performance, size, looks, air suspension, motorized trunk, etc. are necessary luxuries in your life it is better to go/stay with the Model S. Once again, my opinion. At some point in the future there will be a Model 3 that competes with the Model S 75/100D in terms of performance, awd, and luxury. It will be more expensive than the current version of the Model 3. I stated my estimate on that based on current pricing facts and deductive reasoning. Even if I'm off by a few thousand I think my opinion still seems logical. Just trying to help people make informed logical decisions.

I own both of the cars in question, and I love both of them, but if I could only have one I simply gave my case for owning either of the vehicles. Take it or leave it :)