Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - ultra red or white

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

New member and excited to purchase my first Tesla. We have narrowed it down to Model S LR with white interior and yoke. However, trying to decide on the exterior color - ultra red or white. Initially thought about white but when I saw ultra red model s pictures on forums it looks fresh, sporty and aggressive. We saw an ultra red model y in the showroom and wasn’t too impressed. Wife feels white on white looks futuristic and like a spaceship. Two yr old daughter thinks white model s is a unicorn. Looking for some advice on whether white on white is still cool or should I go with ultra red with white interior (the contrast looks awesome) !!

Anyone with long term issues with either of the colors. We already have a white bmw.

Thanks

Solution
Red looks nice, but it’s soooooo glossy and shows scratches and swirls like no other color. White is classier IMO, especially with a satin or matte PPF. Have to see the new lunar silver in person. Silver can either be gorgeous or really really boring depending on the shade.
Hello all,

New member and excited to purchase my first Tesla. We have narrowed it down to Model S LR with white interior and yoke. However, trying to decide on the exterior color - ultra red or white. Initially thought about white but when I saw ultra red model s pictures on forums it looks fresh, sporty and aggressive. We saw an ultra red model y in the showroom and wasn’t too impressed. Wife feels white on white looks futuristic and like a spaceship. Two yr old daughter thinks white model s is a unicorn. Looking for some advice on whether white on white is still cool or should I go with ultra red with white interior (the contrast looks awesome) !!

Anyone with long term issues with either of the colors. We already have a white bmw.

Thanks
Have you seen the new silver? It looks even better IMO than the red or white.

Upvote 0
Hello all,

Thanks
Ultra Red..I would get the 19 inch wheels Take the aero covers off get them powder coated gloss black on the ultra red white interior with the yoke . i’ve had the car a month. It’s been fantastic so far if you go with the 21 inch wheels which I did, but I have them in the garage now you’re going to find you’ll probably have to do some type of rear camber arm aftermarket set up that they talk about on the group as those tires get worn out as quickly as 5000 miles are very expensive to get, very difficult to find sometimes waiting two weeks and also our susceptible to flat tires and a lot of curb rash as the tire is sunken in from the wheel. since I switched over n the the launches have been better and a lot smoother overall with better range there’s the update :)

Attachments

• IMG_6056.jpeg
    IMG_6056.jpeg
    735.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5950.jpeg
    IMG_5950.jpeg
    455.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ultra Red..I would get the 19 inch wheels Take the aero covers off get them powder coated gloss black on the ultra red white interior with the yoke . i’ve had the car a month. It’s been fantastic so far if you go with the 21 inch wheels which I did, but I have them in the garage now you’re going to find you’ll probably have to do some type of rear camber arm aftermarket set up that they talk about on the group as those tires get worn out as quickly as 5000 miles are very expensive to get, very difficult to find sometimes waiting two weeks and also our susceptible to flat tires and a lot of curb rash as the tire is sunken in from the wheel. since I switched over n the the launches have been better and a lot smoother overall with better range there’s the update :)
This isn't what this thread is about so no need to get into a debate over the viability of powder coating car wheels but...

I'll chime in with the counter to this recommendation to powder coat the wheels: do NOT powder coat the factory wheels. There are several reasons to include: it adds more weight than you realize (especially considering it's unsprung weight) can add imbalances and can even compromise the integrity of the wheel itself depending on the process used and individual performing the process... who will all tell you they're experts as you shop the cheapest one.

As someone who was young once and thought powder coated wheels were the coolest... I quickly discovered through various ongoing problems that it's just not worth it. Especially on a 5,000lb car w/over 1k horsepower that introduces some physics to a wheel the automotive industry doesn't regularly see. It seems like a cheap alternative to buying better wheels or simply having wheels similar to everyone else but the reality is that it could also introduce a lot of variables and stressers that one isn't expecting.

Aside from that small side bar though, we're in agreement that Ultra Red on White is one of the secksiest color combos on earth. That new Quicksilver color would give me pause when ordering a new Tesla though too. The Supra I had back in the day was a similar color and was one of my favorite car colors of all time. I also wouldn't get the goofy yoke either.

Upvote 0
I looked at white on white. Could never get use to it...just seems like something you have to really be comfortable with and not have one inclination of second guessing. White seats will pop with anything but definitely the ultra red.

Yoke is definitely the way to go. It is the most comfortable driving experience in a way you do not expect.

Upvote 0
Red looks nice, but it’s soooooo glossy and shows scratches and swirls like no other color. White is classier IMO, especially with a satin or matte PPF. Have to see the new lunar silver in person. Silver can either be gorgeous or really really boring depending on the shade.

Upvote 0
Solution
If you're going to PPF anyway, that mitigates the swirling issue pretty well. And even without PPF, you should be able to minimize swirling if you hand wash and are careful.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Upvote 0
Hello all,

Upvote 0