Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S w/19" Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 did ok in this evening's Seattle snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got caught out in the snow on the eastside going from Kirkland to Sammamish. Have some big hills but fairly long so grade is not too steep and well traveled... Didn't need to stop. Car did well. Felt the rear end slip with a rhythmic pattern a few times. Feel and sound like in accordance to the traction control.

Every time we saw a car stuck in the side of the road.. it was a BMW. While the Model S did well, really no competition compared to most FWD cars.

Last edited:
Just to give people a gauge of the snow and the driver behavior...

I drove (my other car) from Bremerton to Bellevue in the snow tonite. I counted 14 wrecks (there were probably more that I didn't have time to confirm) and at least 30 additional vehicles parked along the road. I saw about a dozen police cars, 3 fire trucks, and 2 ambulances parked.

I have Nokian Hakkapeliittas ( no studs ) on my Model S.
We have to climb a pretty significant hill to get home - that is steep and not well traveled, and almost didn't make it because of all the cars blocking the road. There were many 4WD/AWD vehicles that could not make it up the hill. 4 times zero is the same as 2 times zero.

The additional cost of having a 2nd set of tires is very very small - its just the cost of the 2nd set of wheels. Only 1 set of tires accumulates miles at any time.
Why put yourself at risk by not driving on the best tires for the ( possible ) conditions? ( Note that I don't believe in studs for Seattle, because the 99% of the time when you aren't on snow or ice, the studs make you less safe )