Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - What comes standard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see the options list and it's impressive. But if you have to pay for each of them above the 49,000 proposed after rebate price, this car's cost could get out of hand very quickly.

My question is:

Any idea what comes standard on the Model S for that proposed price? Wishful thinking says all of them. But not getting my hopes up.

Any idea what trim levels will be in the works, and what is available in those levels? Pricing as well? Hopefully they keep this real simple and affordable.

Looking to put a deposit down, but need a little more information.

Thanks ahead of time, and apologies if this thread has already been started. Did a quick search and found nothing.

WD -

Good question(s). You should probably ask a Tesla salesperson and see what they say. I don't think this forum will be able to give you any better of an answer. Perhaps that level of detail hasn't been decided yet anyways.

Perhaps that level of detail hasn't been decided yet anyways.

This was my thought as well. Given that Tesla hasn't officially acquired the NUMMI plant yet, their IPO has to happen first; I'd think an official "Here is what is standard on all Model S vehicles" won't happen until closer to their IPO.

I hope they will establish the EU price at the same price as they establish the trim levels and what comes standard.
Looking at the BMW 5 series it seems most equipment comes standard, and hopefully it will be similar with the Model S as well. At least for what I deem to be the essential features, like the 17'' screen, leather interior etc..

Cobos

You could almost wonder ... does the car still "run" if that 17" becomes inoperable :eek: for whatever reason ?
I can't imagine something as important as propulsion would be so tied into the screen (seems like a safety problem that regulations probably would not allow). However, the HVAC controls will likely be tied into that screen.

Well, I didn't mean "run" literally ... what I mean is: You're on a normal weekend outing. The screen quits. "Let's see now ... how many miles did I have left ? Where am I ? Can I make it to the hotel or back home ? If I plug it in, will it charge ? Can I open the trunk ?" etc ...

When I rode in the Model S at the LA premiere, the computer running the screens had frozen. (Remember the standard location for the instrument cluster is also an LCD screen.) So not only could you not check the range, you also had no speedometer. Car still drove, though.

Of course that car was barely a prototype, when working the displayed SOC was just a dummy number, and there was a Roadster style VDS screen hidden in the center console. Expect the actual car to be much more refined.

At one point when looking at the Model S drivable concept car, I tried to open what I thought was a spare tire compartment in back only to find a mass of wiring and lots of little individual computer modules each probably controlling a different function. It seems to me that individual functions could stop here or there without bringing down the whole car.

But, yeah, a big part of making something production ready will be to make sure that all of those various CPUs have reliable hardware and software so you don't have to think much about "what would I do if X stopped working?"

I don't think we have heard many (any?) reports of the VDS failing on production roadsters...

(Using a Toyota product as an example), On the Highlander hybrid, the base model had big analog knobs for climate control like this:
05_highlander_cntr.jpg

My wife got one with GPS/nav where the knobs were replaced by a touchscreen LCD that puts that radio and climate controls in software as touchscreen functions:
_5%28gps%29.jpg

(clicking the climate button switches the touchscreen to temp controls, clicking the audio button brings up CD changer and radio controls.)

I think that is fairly typical to have different control types and layouts for base models versus premium models.

Last edited:
I see the options list and it's impressive. But if you have to pay for each of them above the 49,000 proposed after rebate price, this car's cost could get out of hand very quickly.

My question is:

Any idea what comes standard on the Model S for that proposed price? Wishful thinking says all of them. But not getting my hopes up.

Any idea what trim levels will be in the works, and what is available in those levels? Pricing as well? Hopefully they keep this real simple and affordable.

Looking to put a deposit down, but need a little more information.

Thanks ahead of time, and apologies if this thread has already been started. Did a quick search and found nothing.

WD -

Other than battery packs and possible future AWD/Sport models, is there a list of options out now?

The original press releases talked of these features, some of which might be optional (?):

• Panoramic roof with sliding moon roof
• Retracting door handles for improved aerodynamics
• Full-time 3G connectivity with Internet, HD and satellite radio
• Brembo brakes
• Automatic rear lift gate
• 21-inch wheels, Front Tires 245/35ZR21, Rear Tires 285/30ZR21 (Advan Sport)
• 17-inch haptic touchscreen and customizable vehicle information display
• Fully digital instrument cluster
• LED and neon headlight and taillights, with xenon Hella low beams
• Smart-key power and push button gear selector

The original press releases talked of these features, some of which might be optional (?):

In my opinion the only "optional" ones, if any, should be:

- Panoramic roof with sliding moon roof

I could see Tesla doing a solid roof with a sliding moon roof as standard.

- Full-time 3G connectivity with Internet, HD and satellite radio
The HD radio could come standard but I don't see Tesla wanting to pay the monthly access bills so 20,000+ Model S cars can connect to the Internet via 3G.

- Automatic rear lift gate

Having an auto-lift on the gate would be a nice touch but isn't really a necessity in my book if it's going to increase the cost of the car by very much.

I don't see Tesla wanting to pay the monthly access bills so 20,000+ Model S cars can connect to the Internet via 3G.
Aren't they already dong this for the 2010 Roadsters. Though they have yet to use its potential on the Roadster, Tesla will need internet connectivity on the Model S to be feature competitive with the other EVs coming on the market.