Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread is interesting of the Tesla Owner Community. A few observations:

1) Lots of bashing of Tesla for doing continuous improvement rather than model year upgrades like all other car companies. Which do you want? Pros/Cons to both.
2) As these cars have more electronic components manufacturers will have develop policy and technical upgrades for how they will continue to support their fleet over time. Parts manufacturers are not going to make 20 year old processors or screens for example. Either Tesla will provide those upgrades or 3rd Parties will. I would not be surprised if our legislatures pass laws requiring manufacturers to provide upgrades to components they can't keep parts for.

I think it is reasonable for Tesla to charge for upgrade however I think they should set different rate for Tesla which purchased at different time. It's a little bit unfair if they charge the same amount for someone who just got delivery last week and someone who got the car 2 years ago.
Same question as in the other thread - why?

This thread is interesting of the Tesla Owner Community. A few observations:

1) Lots of bashing of Tesla for doing continuous improvement rather than model year upgrades like all other car companies. Which do you want? Pros/Cons to both.

No-one is criticising continuous-improvement itself - just the lack of transparency and predictability. As we're seeing: people are saying that had they known a significant upgrade was in the pipeline (which will undoubtedly affect the future resale value of their cars, let alone the quality of the user-experience) they would have postponed their orders.

The advantage of "model-year" updates is that they generally happen once per year - while this does result in a slowdown of sales near the end of the predictable product cycle it gives automakers and sellers an opportunity to sell at a discount, and customers are fine with that: they're saving money knowing that they're not going to be getting the very latest. But with how Tesla's doing it right now it's a crapshoot that can lead to pretty bad buyer's remorse.

So we want continuous improvement - by all means, but I think we should get some kind of advance-notice if a significant upgrade is forthcoming (say, 3-6 months forewarning). We're already committed to buying the car so Tesla won't be losing money - and plenty of people might not care for that particular upgrade (e.g. I don't care for the vanity-mirror upgrade or new interior options, but I do care about the computer).

2) As these cars have more electronic components manufacturers will have develop policy and technical upgrades for how they will continue to support their fleet over time. Parts manufacturers are not going to make 20 year old processors or screens for example. Either Tesla will provide those upgrades or 3rd Parties will. I would not be surprised if our legislatures pass laws requiring manufacturers to provide upgrades to components they can't keep parts for.

I think there needs to be strong consumer-protection laws. Tesla's cars command high-prices partly because of their high resale value - but that's predicated on the assumption the cars will be usable in the long-term future. The only way to guarantee that is to require manufacturers to make their parts available to third-parties on a reasonable and non-discriminatory basis - just like patent law. Corporate greed should not harm society (for example, increased junking of otherwise perfectly fine cars that just need one or two parts that the owner couldn't source).

What is this magic price matching policy you are eluding to? Link? I'm not aware of any manufacturer offering price matching on upgrading individual components of their products.

What? You haven't heard of price matching policy? For example, if you buy a TV in BestBuy, 2 month later, the TV price drop $200 regardless whether it's in Bestbuy or other store, you can contact Bestbuy to get price matching, they will refund you the difference. Usually this policy is only available for 3 months after you purchased the item. Because the value of the same item on the market is constantly dropping.

The idea of retrofit is very similar, if you got your car 2 years early, at that time the profit margin and labor cost is higher than same car today. This is specially true for Tesla since they constantly improving the profit margin and lowering the labor cost. So it's reasonably to charge more for the retrofit.

What? You haven't heard of price matching policy? For example, if you buy a TV in BestBuy, 2 month later, the TV price drop $200 regardless whether it's in Bestbuy or other store, you can contact Bestbuy to get price matching, they will refund you the difference. Usually this policy is only available for 3 months after you purchased the item. Because the value of the same item on the market is constantly dropping.

I've heard of price matching policies, and I guess, once you find a better price on the Tesla you just bought, you can use it.

Show me a price matching policy that allows you to upgrade individual components of the TV that bought in BestBuy - like to get a better screen... or a better antenna..

Show me a price matching policy that allows you to upgrade individual components of the TV that bought in BestBuy - like to get a better screen... or a better antenna..

I remember Samsung TVs have (or at least did have) exactly this: "Smart Evolution Kit". It's about user-upgradable receiver components so you wouldn't need to buy a whole new TV just to support the lastest DVB/ASTC standards - or (exactly analagous to Tesla's MCU) the embedded computer that does all the Smart TV functionality.

I've heard of price matching policies, and I guess, once you find a better price on the Tesla you just bought, you can use it.

Find me a car company expect Tesla which offers component upgrade regardless whether if it's free of charge.
What we are talking about is unprecedented case which we have to use similar policy as the evidence of marketing common sense.
If you are not capable of align with logic, stop wasting my time.

• Funny
Reactions: ABC2D
I remember Samsung TVs have (or at least did have) exactly this: "Smart Evolution Kit". It's about user-upgradable receiver components so you wouldn't need to buy a whole new TV just to support the lastest DVB/ASTC standards - or (exactly analagous to Tesla's MCU) the embedded computer that does all the Smart TV functionality.
NOT EVEN CLOSE

That is an ADD-ON, not an upgrade of an internal component of the TV - like a screen, or image processor, or antenna. C'mon, people, be serious.

upload_2018-3-15_14-19-49.png