Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
bad news, my DS just emailed me back and said he looked up my MX75D that is on route to Toronto, ontario for pickup, and I have the old MCU.

Lots of good debate from the members here on pro's and con's of how tesla manages continuous improvements of vehicles. I completely get that (don't agree)Tesla does not do the industry standard of making new changes on a model year schedule. BUT my issue is, how can they make a change (I believe this MCU is significant, 7 years it hasn't changed, and the current system is very well known sore spot) tand not include cars that in production or pending product VERY shortly. I haven't even received my custom order car, and I have old, and others have new MCU already delivered to them or on it's way. it just doesn't make sure. it's not like Tesla increased the price to account for the new MCU cars.

My opinion, if TESLA wants to continue the "continuous improvement of vehicles whenever they want with no schedule" (i get all their reasons on the sales side), THEN, they should offer anyone who did not receive the new change and pending delivery a free upgrade and any previously delivered cars within "X" number of days a free upgrade. ESPECIALLY if it's a plug and play upgrade. I'm not talking about a complete redesign of exterior and/or interior, that's a different problem.(where having model year changes would absolutely solve)

I'm venting, but geez, my experience with TESLA vs all the Lexus and Acura vehicles I have owned/purchased in the last 20 years is a very different experience.
I totally agree with you.
I am also in Toronto and my car went into production on Feb 27.
Confirmed old CPU.
Missed by one day.
My car hasn't even been delivered yet.
New car smell STINKS

I just got a call from my SA apologising for delaying my order (there was a mutual misunderstanding of a new order scheduling system that Tesla started using this year, I'm told) - but did confirm that all Model X cars made from earlier in March will be getting the new MCU - so they aren't finishing-off any remaining Tegra inventory in any new orders - though it's possible (unconfirmed) that some cars made in February still had the Tegra MCU installed after others had the Intel MCU.

I told her not to apologize, and that I'm actually very thankful that she delayed my order :D

I'm told my new delivery date is in mid-April.

Reactions: alloverx
Confirmed w SC I will have the old MCU. New MCU applies to vehicles built three weeks ago from today and forward, as was previously speculated in this thread.

So, I missed it by a hair. On the bright side, scratch is fixed and i can pick up my car tomorrow. Very likely I will care a lot less about the MCU 24 hrs from now.
Ridiculous that they won't even consider a retrofit for AP 2.5 cars, which I imagine have all the wiring/hardware necessary to do an upgrade.

Just asked about a possible retrofit down the road-no reply yet.

that makes it a simple decision. I will refuse my delivery and take a $2500 loss. and I will take my time to decide if I want to reorder. as someone just mentioned, it's a simple $2500 loss to get the upgrade if I reorder. or $2500 loss to rethink Tesla. not a big deal on a $120K purchase that will depreciate very rapidly anyway.

That's probably what I would do in your situation. Good luck!

Reactions: dhanson865
very strange, if their official stance is no retrofits. Do they really plan on buying/using Tegra MCUs in 2026? Thats when our latest batch of Tegra cars will be done with warranty and extended warranty for those that buy it.

I really hope they designed the Intel update so that the processing module can be upgraded/retrofitted. They can probably make a bunch of money doing these retrofits probably selling $1,000 in parts for over $2,000!

Reactions: Guy V
But what about the guy at day X+1? He/she gets shortchanged on the upgrade. Where does Tesla draw the line

That's easy: anyone who orders or takes delivery within 30 days of the announcement gets a free or paid upgrade, upon request. Further, Tesla guarantees that any order after the announcement includes the new hardware. Just because it's hard to draw a line doesn't mean you can't draw one.

Or, simply make the upgrade cost increase continuously with the age of the car.

very strange, if their official stance is no retrofits. Do they really plan on buying/using Tegra MCUs in 2026? Thats when our latest batch of Tegra cars will be done with warranty and extended warranty for those that buy it.

Just received a call from my DS, he said he discussed with his service techs, and retrofit is not available. not compatible, won't fit, etc. his words. When I questioned him, he said, "he's just going by what his techs say"

I told him I won't be taking the car when it arrives. He is now looking for other options on ordering another car for me.

They wouldn't need to buy any more, the can just remanufacture existing ones to keep cars going. But they could always change their mind in the future and create a retrofit kit.

That's easy: anyone who orders or takes delivery within 30 days of the announcement gets a free or paid upgrade, upon request. Further, Tesla guarantees that any order after the announcement includes the new hardware. Just because it's hard to draw a line doesn't mean you can't draw one.

But they have drawn a line. Cars are getting new features that weren't even announced. So people are getting more than they ordered. This is consistently what Tesla does. They add/update the cars in production and then announce the change. So they already have a "look-back" period built in.

There will always be someone that misses by 1 day and complain. If the period is 0 days, 30 days, 60 days, etc.

They wouldn't need to buy any more, the can just remanufacture existing ones to keep cars going. But they could always change their mind in the future and create a retrofit kit.

Yeah, I'm sure somewhere down the line they will silently replace Tegra MCUs with some sort of pin-compatible hardware. Maybe not Intel, but something.

I emailed my DS the other day asking if my MS75D will get the new MCU. I think it will since mine went into production on Monday 3/12/18.

These were his exact words:

"Thank You for reaching out regarding our new Model S. We're excited to host your deliver soon! While we certainly appreciate your question, we're unable to determine specifically which Display will be installed on your new Model S, and we've noticed minimal differences between both systems. We're confident you'll love your new Tesla!"

The minimal differences part is a huge huge understatement. I'm contemplating writing back to my DS and providing the youtube videos highlighting the speed differences so he doesn't misinform other customers. I might try emailing my Owner Advisor to see if he can confirm it for me.

Cars are getting new features that weren't even announced. So people are getting more than they ordered.

That's not correct way to look at it. Yes, some "day one" customers are getting more than they ordered, but other, "day zero" customers are getting robbed, because their resale value has decreased unexpectedly.

This policy just takes money from a random group of customers, whose cars have depreciated more than expected, and gives it to another group, who win the lottery.

Very few people drive their cars into the ground. They will eventually sell or trade them. Customers deserve a relatively stable resale value, especially when cost of upgrading people who care is so small. These are $100K cars; the wholesale cost of the module is likey $100, and for some customers, the upgrade avoids an increase in total cost of ownership in the thousands of dollars.

For Tesla, upgrades should just be the cost of doing business whe you want to make cars with random, destabilizing changes to resale value. Any line drawn would be an improvement on the status quo.

I collect my MX two weeks on Saturday - European delivery so was built early Feb so following this thread with great interest!

I can also see a major software update was released in the last 24/48 hours for AP2.5 which also improved the performance of MCU1 - see other thread Software Update 2018.10.4

I can understand the desire for the latest CPU but I suspect a lot of the difference is also improved software - see the video on the thread?

But they have drawn a line. Cars are getting new features that weren't even announced. So people are getting more than they ordered. This is consistently what Tesla does. They add/update the cars in production and then announce the change. So they already have a "look-back" period built in.

There will always be someone that misses by 1 day and complain. If the period is 0 days, 30 days, 60 days, etc.
Yes you are right.
I wish you the same luck one day