Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering, does this new MCU mean the the S and X will get USB 3.0 support? I was surprised to hear (back in January 2018) that the S and X still only had USB 2.0 ports. The main advantage to USB 3.0 support is much faster indexing of thumb-drives used to store hundreds of gigabytes of music.

Tesla pushed up my estimated delivery date up by 2 weeks resulting in me missing AP2.0.

I was literally one of the last deliveries before AP2.0 was announced. It’s tough, but AP2.5 coming out and AP2.0 not reaching parity has lessened the blow. It gets easier with time.

ouch, then I guess the 2018.10.4 threads are like salt in the wound then. This video pretty much sealed the deal on saying Autopilot 2 is equal to or better than Autopilot 1 now.

I’m hearing reports that Tesla has delivered Model S and X with Intel-based MCUs, the same chipset being used in the 3. The screen footprint remains the same.

I’ll edit this post if I hear of any other updates.

A
This might answer anyone’s questions about the differences in chipset in S and X this is newest change since models S and X were built.
Screen see video below originally from utube.
New Tesla MCU features updated/working browser (5:30) • r/teslamotors

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm sure somewhere down the line they will silently replace Tegra MCUs with some sort of pin-compatible hardware. Maybe not Intel, but something.
Or do what other manufacturers do, stockpile a bunch of chips before end-of-life. All chip manufacturers usually have a well planned lifecycle, everyone gets notified well in advance of end-of-life and has a chance to order as many as they think they'll need.

I ordered my MX end of January. My Tesla account says the car is in production. I called Tesla and DS looked at her system and said its still in "pre-production" Not sure what the difference is but I take the car is still not being "produced"?

Delivery estimation is end of May in Norway. So I know shipping is about 6 weeks. On that analogy I guess the car will be produced by Mid April?

- Order confirmed 2nd February 2018
- Went into production 8th March 2018 according to my Tesla account.

MX75D
PUP
EAP

Any chance I'm getting the new MCU?

Cheers ;)

I ordered my MX end of January. My Tesla account says the car is in production. I called Tesla and DS looked at her system and said its still in "pre-production" Not sure what the difference is but I take the car is still not being "produced"?

If it hasn't been produced yet, you will get the new MCU.

The switch was somewhere end february. I think it is safe to say that all cars produced in March and later will have the new MCU

Delivery estimation is end of May in Norway. So I know shipping is about 6 weeks. On that analogy I guess the car will be produced by Mid April?

- Order confirmed 2nd February 2018
- Went into production 8th March 2018 according to my Tesla account.

MX75D
PUP
EAP

Any chance I'm getting the new MCU?

Cheers ;)

What’s your VIN? Someone in another thread is expecting his MX 100D, his VIN starts with 90xxx and his DS confirmed that he’ll get the new MCU.

So assumably if your VIN is 90xxx or higher you’ll get the new MCU.

Regarding production, I also also ordered in Januarz (Mid to late January) and I went into pre-production 1. march. I believe european orders are getting pushed back a bit this month, because end of quarter US cars are being delivered.

What’s your VIN? Someone in another thread is expecting his MX 100D, his VIN starts with 90xxx and his DS confirmed that he’ll get the new MCU.

So assumably if your VIN is 90xxx or higher you’ll get the new MCU.

Regarding production, I also also ordered in Januarz (Mid to late January) and I went into pre-production 1. march. I believe european orders are getting pushed back a bit this month, because end of quarter US cars are being delivered.

Thanks for this man.

My VIN is: 928xx

Guess I'm getting it then. I don't mind waiting a few more months but this wait is already killing me. iPad Pro has spoiled me a lot lately and now I'm super happy to have a similar experience with my MX.

Roadtrip to Denmark in July will be very exciting :D

Thanks for this man.

My VIN is: 928xx

Guess I'm getting it then. I don't mind waiting a few more months but this wait is already killing me. iPad Pro has spoiled me a lot lately and now I'm super happy to have a similar experience with my MX.

Roadtrip to Denmark in July will be very exciting :D

Ah cool, you can look forward!

Btw. my VIN also starts with 928xxx :)

It takes long but we can be pretty sure that we will be on the first ship that reaches Europe :)