Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am due to pick up a £106,000 MX in two weeks time and have now asked the SC this question four times:

‘Will future software development and functional changes will be lockstep across both hardware platforms?’

I have had many PR answers but none to this direct question. Steve - I guess you are reading this. If you haven’t been delivered your Tesla yet but have the Tegra platform think carefully. The failure to give a customer a direct answer before they hand over £100k ($140k) plus should ring alarm bells. Seriously Tesla - I thought you were better than this!

And to be totally transparent I have sent this to the SC - I am only publishing this because after four attempts to get an honest answer none has been provided.

——

Steve,

I have just posted the attached on Teslarati:

——
I am due to pick up a £106,000 MX in two weeks time and have now asked the SC this question four times:

‘Will future software development and functional changes be lockstep across both hardware platforms?’

I have had many PR answers but none to this direct question. Steve - I guess you are reading this. If you haven’t been delivered your Tesla yet but have the Tegra platform think carefully. The failure to give a customer a direct answer before they hand over £100k ($140k) plus should ring alarm bells. Seriously Tesla - I thought you were better than this!
——-

I am not asking for anything apart from a straight forward answer to my question so I can make an informed decision on how to proceed.

I am fully aware of the terms I have signed up to - why can you not just give an honest answer? “I do not know” or “I cannot guarantee that” would suffice.

Seriously disappointing corporate response.

——

FFS - I am not asking for anything - just an honest response. They cannot provide that.

Reactions: mdelrossi
And the reply
——

Hi Nick,

I understand you are looking for a yes or no response to your question, however, either response would imply assumptions that we cannot make.

To elaborate, we do not have knowledge of all the upcoming software updates that are to be developed because they have yet to be developed. Therefore, it is not possible to confirm the compatibility of all future updates with different specifications without details of the updates. We have not stated that the new processor will enable more features or functionality, we have only confirmed the change is independent from any of the hardware associated with the Autopilot capabilities.

I trust that is clear. In short, we do not know. We can only speculate based on previous changes in the car’s configuration and take assurance in Tesla’s ambitions to maintain strong relations with all existing owners.

——-

• Helpful
Reactions: CSFTN and bhzmark
And my response

Steve,

Yet again no straightforward answer!!!

I will publish this response on TMC. I will not agree a delivery unless you can give me an answer to my question:

‘Will future software development and functional changes will be lockstep across both hardware platforms?’

The ball is in your court. I am seriously disappointed with the ducking and diving. I have not asked for anything financially - just an honest answer which you have not provided.

Nick

Nickg -- I thought his answer was clear, no?

Tesla clearly can't commit today to all future developments being developed for both platforms in perpetuity. You're asking them to predict the future.

If your new car has MCU1, I think you can refuse delivery and order another with minimal hassles other than waiting. That would future-proof you for at least a few years, until the next upgrade (HUD?) happens.

And my response

Steve,

Yet again no straightforward answer!!!

I will publish this response on TMC. I will not agree a delivery unless you can give me an answer to my question:

The ball is in your court. I am seriously disappointed with the ducking and diving. I have not asked for anything financially - just an honest answer which you have not provided.

Nick
26l9u2.jpg

A lot of people are seeing a change in EQ settings, could this indicate that they have installed new types of speakers as well? No one have checked this as far as I know. It might be a stretch, but hey, who knows with Tesla updates. Information is not exactly given at a large scale...

The problem I have is that I have acknowledged the contract I have with them - I risk losing by £4K ($5k) deposit - but I still cannot get a straight answer to my question. That is not a way to behave unless you are hiding something. Again - Tesla - I thought you were better than that!

I have zero interest in winning public opinion on TMC - I can easily afford to drop £4K thankfully. I am only tryout mgbyo inform.

Nickg -- I thought his answer was clear, no?

Tesla clearly can't commit today to all future developments being developed for both platforms in perpetuity. You're asking them to predict the future.

If your new car has MCU1, I think you can refuse delivery and order another with minimal hassles other than waiting. That would future-proof you for at least a few years, until the next upgrade (HUD?) happens.
But Tesla are happy to sell ‘the future’. That is what I thought I was buying.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark