Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X minor refresh coming soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has a policy of continous improvements. This means that when something new or better gets developed it is installed in production immediately, not waiting for a new model year or refresh.

There are always reports of new things or improvements...coming soon.

You can never purchase a future configuration. You just get what you get when your car rolls down the assembly line.

People that have FOMO will always be waiting for the next iteration of production.
Let’s logically think about this.

What changes has the model S gone through this year (2023)?

What about model 3,x, y?

MS- roof, brakes, HW4, removed USS, badging...I think there are more
Ok so Uss being removed and badging aren’t relevant on any significant level (USS isnt planned to be part of the future so it’s just dead weight).

Don’t forget the red pain.

HW4, brakes, and roof - I’d say HW4 is most significant and worth waiting for. I’m not sure about the brake improvement.

Now this all happened in March/April?

Ok so Uss being removed and badging aren’t relevant on any significant level (USS isnt planned to be part of the future so it’s just dead weight).

Don’t forget the red pain.

HW4, brakes, and roof - I’d say HW4 is most significant and worth waiting for. I’m not sure about the brake improvement.

Now this all happened in March/April?
USS are still used as they have no reliable solution for that. It took over a year for Tesla to disable radar on cars after Vision rolled out.

I believe most of that was March/April, yes. There's a new Yoke coming out in October and maybe some other small things provided or taken away.

Edit: Round steering wheel, too.

Everything else I read from actual owners say it is much less than that. More like 380 to low 400’s, which is still really good, but not near their quoted range.
There are multiple videos of people/tests driving on real interstates getting over 500 miles at 70 mph. It's far more efficient than the Model S.

There are people here who say they can't get 300 miles on the Model S. Everyone drives differently, in different conditions, with different weather.

If they are driving in the cold, up hill with head wind, of course they will get less...like any car/EV.

Last edited:
Put the battery pack from the Hummer EV and a Model S could easily go 1k miles at 70 mph.

Even put the bigger pack from the Lucid Air and the S wouldn't be that far behind it. The max pack size in the Lucid Air is 112-118kWh (I've seen different based on source). CD list 112 for the Grand Touring Air. The S has 100 kWh so an advantage in size for the Lucid. Not a direct apples to apples comparison.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Put the battery pack from the Hummer EV and a Model S could easily go 1k miles at 70 mph.

Even put the bigger pack from the Lucid Air and the S wouldn't be that far behind it. The max pack size in the Lucid Air is 112-118kWh (I've seen different based on source). CD list 112 for the Grand Touring Air. The S has 100 kWh so an advantage in size for the Lucid. Not a direct apples to apples comparison.
18 kwh more, yet it goes 140+/_ miles more at 70 mph.

There are multiple videos of people/tests driving on real interstates getting over 500 miles at 70 mph. It's far more efficient than the Model S.

There are people here who say they can't get 300 miles on the Model S. Everyone drives differently, in different conditions, with different weather.

If they are driving in the cold, up hill with head wind, of course they will get less...like any car/EV.
I get over 300 miles on mile Model S and this is with my normal faster driving style. In the winter no and neither does a Lucid Air GT. Not buying it on 500 miles range for Grand Touring, but whatever. If I buy, then I will provide feedback here, but expecting to be really mileage of 380 to 410, which is by real people with real driving. I have researched it to death. :)

I get over 300 miles on mile Model S and this is with my normal faster driving style. In the winter no and neither does a Lucid Air GT. Not buying it on 500 miles range for Grand Touring, but whatever. If I buy, then I will provide feedback here, but expecting to be really mileage of 380 to 410, which is by real people with real driving. I have researched it to death. :)
There's literally 5 articles if you type in Lucid Air 70 mph range in Google. Insidedeev hit 505 at 72 mph. Edmunds was 500.

Here is a comparison from Edmunds regarding the efficiency of each. The model Tested was the Plaid w/21" wheels which we all know isn't as efficient. Link is an AP News referencing the Edmunds test. While there is a difference in efficiency, it isn't huge and a lot of that would be due to the 21's on the Plaid.

Range and Charging
"The Lucid Air’s biggest claim to fame is its exceptional driving range. The top-of-the-line Dream Edition boasts a bladder-busting 520-mile EPA range on a single charge. The most that the Tesla offers is 405 miles, which is still generous but trails even the entry-level Lucid at 451 miles. In Edmunds’ real-world range test, a Lucid Air Dream Edition Range model traveled 505 miles of its advertised 520 miles. Meanwhile, a Tesla Model S Plaid on the optional 21-inch wheels managed 345 miles in the same test, just short of its 348-mile EPA rating.

The Air is one of only a handful of EVs that can use the maximum 350-kilowatt rate available at some DC fast-charging stations. The Model S charges at a slower maximum rate of 250 kW. In our test of the Lucid, we measured a consumption rate of 28.3 kilowatt-hours of electricity used per 100 miles, versus 32.1 kWh per 100 miles in the Model S (a lower kWh number is better). More range, superior efficiency and faster charging give the Lucid Air the easy win here."

Reactions: Propofoln
I travel 40k miles in my S per year. At first I thought I needed 500+. I have put the 21s back on and find the need for more range an overstated nothingburger. This is for me so YMMV.
I have to say my thought process was the same as yours. If I was road tripping every day, I might be more inclined to feel that way. Even on several cross country trips, I can't really think of when I really needed more range than what I had, not in my S or 3 anyway. The Y was a different story. I'd want at least another 50 miles more real-world range.

I'd take a faster recharge capability than greater range per "tank". A solid 4 hours of driving at about a 70 mph avg is enough for my bladder and for the wife and kid to want a break. I could see where it might be useful if the charging infrastructure isn't that good. In that case, I just look for campgrounds and have the appropriate connector with me.

Moderator note: This plus the following 7 posts were merged from a different thread on the same topic.

Hi all

I'd like to come back to a few rumors that have been floating around for some time. While the Model 3 gets all the press right now and we have massive price cuts on Models S & X I wonder if anyone has heard or read any more on an upcoming, minor refresh of the S and X.

Teslascope seems to know more but cannot share, anybody that can?

Teslascope (@teslascope) posted at 9:00 pm on Thu, Jun 22, 2023:
And while we're on the topic of new lights, Tesla also has a secret minor refresh of the S/X tentatively happening within the next two months or earlier.

Unlike the rest of this thread, we've not been given permission to share details besides receiving the RGB ambient lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it's been 3 months since and the refresh is nowhere to be seen - I'd love for them to add the front bumper camera
Same here. When I ordered back in 03.2021 the one thing I was missing were the Matrix lights. As I have to cancel to old order now and put in a new one (they won't adjust the price anymore), the matrix will be covered by the time the next cars make it over the pond. I wonder however, when the mini-refresh will come or if it already happened.

It seems, that they will change the material on the back of the front seats and give the cars a new GNSS antenna, but that's it for now. Still hoping for a mini-refresh being announce in the coming weeks maybe as part of the CT presentation and to keep up with the M3 changes. That one will hopefully include the camera but given the info so far, I'm not very hopeful on anything like that anytime soon.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Tesla up the yoke to 1k, I wonder if this might mean it's coming out with the DBW on the S/X?
Matrix light is already here with July builds. I hear rumors that 23 models are done and is working on 24 model releases.
Crossing my fingers I will be locked into one of the new ones with extra bits.

Reactions: NJturtlePower