Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X Retrofit steering wheel sold out already

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bit of old news that Tesla started offering a full steering wheel. Another of my predictions that came true. Many claimed they were good with the Yoke, but when given the choice, their actions spoke louder than words.

Tesla again just trying to be different for the sake of being different. With the market the way it was, they could get away with it. Now that things have changed, they have to start listening to customers and actually be competitive against other offerings.

I jumped off the Tesla train because I couldn't get on board with the New S or X. Hopefully, they'll reconsider stalks, the horn and shifter. If they do, then possibly I'll reconsider. Along with the Yoke, those are all still deal breakers for me.

Tesla Model S And X Steering Wheel Retrofit Is Already Sold Out​

Yeah, same. I don't think the yoke part is the bad part. The lack of stalks and physical buttons is the bad part. I'm not interested in paying $700 to fix the part that doesn't really need fixing. The forward / reverse selection using the touch screen is crap. I get it wrong about once a month and nearly accelerate into objects.

Yeah, same. I don't think the yoke part is the bad part. The lack of stalks and physical buttons is the bad part. I'm not interested in paying $700 to fix the part that doesn't really need fixing. The forward / reverse selection using the touch screen is crap. I get it wrong about once a month and nearly accelerate into objects.
I’ve had very little issue with gear selector. My only gripe is the horn. And I don’t think it’s so much as location but lack of tactile feel and size. When in a panic, you don’t use the same mechanics as hitting the Send button on an SMS. You want to smack it with your fist.

Reactions: zebrafish
I’ve had very little issue with gear selector. My only gripe is the horn. And I don’t think it’s so much as location but lack of tactile feel and size. When in a panic, you don’t use the same mechanics as hitting the Send button on an SMS. You want to smack it with your fist.

Yeah, it could have been fine with a real tactile button. My first car, a '91 Plymouth acclaim, had the horn on two buttons on either side of the airbag. Worked just fine.
s-l500.jpg

Reactions: TLLMRRJ and mswlogo
If you jumped off the Tesla Train why are you still here?
I'm not very often because this is the type of friendliness that Tesla forum members show. The fanboi's are just unbearable. I still love the company and supported them with over 10 cars throughout 9 years. More than most. But, the nastiness from so many forum members sure made this not a pleasant place to be. SO MUCH better experiences and friendliness from every other non-Tesla forum.

I haven't looked recently, but I think TSportline had a full wheel option available? Guessing it probably would be at least $700, but might want to take a look if it happens to be something you might be interested in. Possibly they reduced their price once Tesla started offering the retrofit?

I haven't looked recently, but I think TSportline had a full wheel option available? Guessing it probably would be at least $700, but might want to take a look if it happens to be something you might be interested in. Possibly they reduced their price once Tesla started offering the retrofit?
Yeah, still $850. But, like Tesla it still has the same controls as the yoke.

Would be nice if someone did the Model 3 wheel and stalk swap.

Reactions: Wol747
I'm not very often because this is the type of friendliness that Tesla forum members show. The fanboi's are just unbearable. I still love the company and supported them with over 10 cars throughout 9 years. More than most. But, the nastiness from so many forum members sure made this not a pleasant place to be. SO MUCH better experiences and friendliness from every other non-Tesla forum.
Based on the we are all fools and you’re not tone of your opening post I can see why you were greeted with such open arms.

Tesla running out of Wheel kits means squat. They run out of everything in a blink. They run out of mudflaps all the time and I rarely see an S with them. There was a poll that about 50% plan to swap wheels. And I bet a lot of those don’t.

For the record I plan to keep the Yoke. If they offered a better horn I might go for it. But would prefer they fixed it on the Yoke. I predicted they would address the horn on new production before offering a wheel upgrade or choice with the same horn button.

Tesla would not have survived if it didn’t make bold moves.

I haven’t found any auto enthusiast site to not have “fanbois”.

Macheforum
Taycanforum
Etc

Also does this claim: “Many claimed they were good with the Yoke, but when given the choice, their actions spoke louder than words.” Mean that many people happy with the yoke, are changing to the steering wheel?

It’s no secret that many people didn’t like the yoke to begin with. So of course many will change. There were even 3rd party options available.

It’s just odd how some people and articles appear to declare that the yoke is a complete disaster based on a product “selling out” when we have no idea of numbers yet.

And then this line: “Tesla again just trying to be different for the sake of being different.”. Well yes… that’s what many companies do. Ie, Cybertruck is another great example and looks like it will be a success.

It’s great Tesla now offers the option. Shouldn’t be a surprise because even early design studio leak photos showed a steering wheel.

It seems that the tone of the OP does set the stage for responses. And this is consistent with many different sites.

I haven’t found any auto enthusiast site to not have “fanbois”.

Macheforum
Taycanforum
Etc

Also does this claim: “Many claimed they were good with the Yoke, but when given the choice, their actions spoke louder than words.” Mean that many people happy with the yoke, are changing to the steering wheel?

It’s no secret that many people didn’t like the yoke to begin with. So of course many will change. There were even 3rd party options available.

It’s just odd how some people and articles appear to declare that the yoke is a complete disaster based on a product “selling out” when we have no idea of numbers yet.

And then this line: “Tesla again just trying to be different for the sake of being different.”. Well yes… that’s what many companies do. Ie, Cybertruck is another great example and looks like it will be a success.

It’s great Tesla now offers the option. Shouldn’t be a surprise because even early design studio leak photos showed a steering wheel.

It seems that the tone of the OP does set the stage for responses. And this is consistent with many different sites.
Couldn’t have said it better.

Reactions: SO16
A search on TMC for "yoke" shows posts way before techtimes. The media also monitors and cites TMC. The world's not flat, its circular.
Here’s another from 2021.

I’m simply saying that this was an option they had for quite a while and is not simply a knee jerk reaction. Would have been nice to go with the customer choice option to begin with.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
Here’s another from 2021.

I’m simply saying that this was an option they had for quite a while and is not simply a knee jerk reaction. Would have been nice to go with the customer choice option to begin with.
I don't disagree.

Reactions: SO16
Yeah, still $850. But, like Tesla it still has the same controls as the yoke.

Would be nice if someone did the Model 3 wheel and stalk swap.
I know you dont want to spend 850 but even still there's other options outside of Tsportline that have alcantara/carbon steering wheels as well. If you can afford a plaid/new model S 700-1200 bucks is nothing. Shouldn't be your problem but hey man it is what it is

I know you dont want to spend 850 but even still there's other options outside of Tsportline that have alcantara/carbon steering wheels as well. If you can afford a plaid/new model S 700-1200 bucks is nothing. Shouldn't be your problem but hey man it is what it is

The tesla option is probably the best. $700 and it includes installation. But, it doesn't bother me enough to change it. Maybe if it included the stalks too, but so far no one offers that except for the guy who did his own Model 3 swap:

That would be nice, but seemed to be pretty involved.

I've been on these forums for several years. Not owning a Tesla anymore, I don't check it daily as I used to. Sure, all vehicles probably have their fanboi's, but with "many" of the Tesla forum fanboi's, they get so offended at even the slightest hint of criticism toward Tesla. Again, I put my money where my mouth was having owned at least 10 Tesla's in 9 years. Clearly loved the cars and for 9 years, nothing stacked up well enough for me to be able to give up what they offered. But, that doesn't mean I thought they were perfect by any means. Far from it. I've always been one that speaks my mind, good or bad. On this site, SO MANY members were offended by the truth. All the other forums, people may disagree with me and that's absolutely fine, but they reply in a constructive manner and have a conversation / debate about opinion differences. Obviously, I'm far less active on this site than I used to be, but I remember that as soon as I would post something, the same 10 members would insta-respond. Like they had the website up and were hitting refresh every 30 seconds all day long, just waiting to pounce on the next person that didn't agree with the "Elon said it, so it's perfect" attitude.

Just my take on it. They still build incredible cars. The Yoke experiment was more of the same. The "majority" didn't like it, but if you asked them, they'd "say" they like it because it was in their $100,000+ car and Tesla is great so it must be the best thing for us. My statement is that, of many of those people that said they like the Yoke, now that they've been given a choice, they've made the switch, or plan to. I'm sure for some, they actually do like the Yoke. But, if you ask non-Tesla owner's who are naturally going to be biased, the majority are not fans. And yes, for me personally, the way I use my car for work (not just to and from work), the shifter, blinkers, horn are all deal breakers for me. The last car I ordered that I loved everything about was my 2015 Model S Performance. That was when you still had the option to create the interior the way you wanted it, select options you wanted and not pay for options you didn't. Shortly thereafter is when it started going downhill for me as they removed most "choices". At this price point, I want some of my own personality and choices in it. I still bought 2 or 3 more after that car, but didn't love the interior choices that were forced upon us.

For those that just drive to and from work mostly, these things aren't a big deal to deal with a couple times a day. For those like me that work out of their vehicle where I'm in and out 10+ times a day, these little annoyances become more amplified. I tried a Model 3 one time in those 9 years and hated it, compared to my Model S's. It lasted only a few months. The refresh however, went more in the direction of the Model 3 and well beyond with the removal of the stalks and shifter. That's also when prices were sky high. I knew that the 2019 would be my last. Loved the car. Loved the mix of the minimalist interior that still had some normal every day functions left over. As I noted, wasn't a fan of the lack of choices on my later Model S cars, but lived with them. For the increased price points and an interior that didn't suit my needs in any way, shape or form, just couldn't justify paying more and more for a car that still looks generally the same as my first one did 9 years ago. Was hoping the Cybertruck would bring me back. But, they're doing a Model 3 type interior, so not a chance I'll consider one. Again, based on my own personal use needs. After 9 years, the sacrifices became too many to offset the positives and it was time to move on. Now that there's some genuine competitors on the market, hopefully Tesla will consider catering to the masses and offer more personal choices to bring in a larger buyer group, especially considering how many cars they want to sell every year. The Tesla way is loved by many, but doesn't work for a large buyer group as well, thus they won't consider one. Competition is a good thing for the customer. Happy that it now exists. Maybe, some day, Tesla will build another car that works for me and for the customer group that doesn't mind a few strategically placed buttons here and there for ease of use. In the meantime, other than a couple of rarely used features the Tesla had, I honestly haven't missed having one. I thought I'd be giving up a lot by going in a different direction, but now having actually done it, I realized that, I really don't miss it and LOVE that I'm finally looking at something shiny, new and DIFFERENT in my garage after 9+ years!

Back on topic.......
Didn't T-Sportline offer a conversion that included stalks? I remember seeing it somewhere that they converted a Model 3 wheel / stalk package to work on the Model S. It also utilized the center for the horn. Maybe it was a one-off? If I were to consider a Tesla again, but "IF", that would be the first thing on my list to change, immediately.

The Yoke experiment was more of the same. The "majority" didn't like it, but if you asked them, they'd "say" they like it because it was in their $100,000+ car and Tesla is great so it must be the best thing for us. My statement is that, of many of those people that said they like the Yoke, now that they've been given a choice, they've made the switch, or plan to. I'm sure for some, they actually do like the Yoke.

I can probably be categorized as much of a “fanboi” as anyone on this site, but I’ll call em like I see em. (I was indeed, many years ago, an umpire.)

Not a yoke fan and I’m not afraid to tell anyone who’ll listen. It’s a miss.

Doesn’t mean I don’t love my car and doesn’t mean I think Tesla has “lost its way” …. But it’s a major component of my car I don’t like, and I’m looking forward to having it replaced. Already rescheduled once due to lack of stock - hoping that doesn’t happen again.