Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X Round Steering Wheel & Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why, why, why get a round steering wheel? I know this thread is for those who are getting the retrofit. Yes, I know from all the threads that some folks can’t get used to the horn not being in the middle but geeze. I’ve been driving for close to 60 years and absolutely love the yoke wheel which offers one finger/hand steering and an unobstructed view of the front dashboard.

Why, why, why get a round steering wheel? I know this thread is for those who are getting the retrofit. Yes, I know from all the threads that some folks can’t get used to the horn not being in the middle but geeze. I’ve been driving for close to 60 years and absolutely love the yoke wheel which offers one finger/hand steering and an unobstructed view of the front dashboard.
The one finger steer is a thing, folks should give it a try.

Says the man who lives where roads are probably like this...

san-fidel-road.jpg

Also, one-finger steering. Really? 😳

Better control over the vehicle would be my primary motivator. I'm replacing the yoke in both my 2022 Model S and Model X.

In a dynamic or loss of control situation the yoke is inferior to a wheel in just about every way.

EDIT: Noticed a down vote for this sentiment. I'll let Randy Probst make my point further at around the 1 minute mark -

Last edited:
I think that interview was before he/we knew what the steering ratio was going to be. I’ve got just over 2,000 miles on my X and there hasn’t been an instance yet where I wished I had a round wheel. But hey, ymmv and the world is large enough to accommodate both preferences.
Same here. Both of our X's have yoke; one with 16k miles and another with 5k, and have an order for the S with the yoke. We're not driving this thing around on a track, and unlike many complaints about u-turns, it has been a non-issue. Love the fact that it's easier for my wife and I to enter/exit car due to flat bottom, and also provides better visibility above.

I think that interview was before he/we knew what the steering ratio was going to be. I’ve got just over 2,000 miles on my X and there hasn’t been an instance yet where I wished I had a round wheel. But hey, ymmv and the world is large enough to accommodate both preferences.
My interpretation of his comments were that he was saying that the yoke may be ok if Tesla implemented variable ratio turning based on speed. There was some speculation earlier on that this may happen.

Either way, I’m happy you like the yoke and it works for you. I’m just glad they are providing people choice now.

However with them providing an option for a wheel retrofit and seemingly stepping away from the yoke for the latest Cybertruck build maybe they have realized it’s an answer looking for a question.

People do realize that the round wheel is simply that, right? The functionality (no stalks, turn signals/horn by your thumbs) remain the same. So if THAT'S what you don't like about the yoke, well I got some bad news for you.

I don't mind the yoke. I just don't like the horn placement. It is useless in an emergency situation.

My interpretation of his comments were that he was saying that the yoke may be ok if Tesla implemented variable ratio turning based on speed. There was some speculation earlier on that this may happen.

Either way, I’m happy you like the yoke and it works for you. I’m just glad they are providing people choice now.

However with them providing an option for a wheel retrofit and seemingly stepping away from the yoke for the latest Cybertruck build maybe they have realized it’s an answer looking for a question.
Yet another piece of content just produced by Tesla featuring a wheel on the Model S for the new colour out of Fremont.

Subjective but evidence is mounting I’d say 😂

Reactions: bllydia
Just saw this thread. I tried out the new wheel in person today. While I've already moved to an aftermarket wheel, I was curious if spending another $700 was worth it to go back to OEM.

Notes:
  • Horn is still the same (moving it to the center pad would have alone won me over to purchasing this wheel)
  • We all knew this already, but no stalks; same windshield wiper, turn signal, and light buttons (any of these changing would have gotten me into this wheel, too)
  • The heated functionality feels like it might eventually heat the entire wheel? At least, it starts on the sides and I think it was starting to heat the top by the time I got out. My current aftermarket wheel only heats the leather portions on the side, not the CF on the top/bottom.
  • It feels like it's larger and thinner than the Model 3/Y's wheel. It also feels more rubbery? It didn't give me the "instant satisfaction" feeling I get whenever I drive a 3/Y.
Ultimately, I'm gonna stick with my current, chunkier aftermarket wheel (which actually seems to better match my interior). But I'm still glad they offer the wheel now--it'd be totally worth it for me if I still had the yoke, but not so much for the crossover from another wheel.

IMG_8845.jpg

Just saw this thread. I tried out the new wheel in person today. While I've already moved to an aftermarket wheel, I was curious if spending another $700 was worth it to go back to OEM.

Notes:
  • Horn is still the same (moving it to the center pad would have alone won me over to purchasing this wheel)
  • We all knew this already, but no stalks; same windshield wiper, turn signal, and light buttons (any of these changing would have gotten me into this wheel, too)
  • The heated functionality feels like it might eventually heat the entire wheel? At least, it starts on the sides and I think it was starting to heat the top by the time I got out. My current aftermarket wheel only heats the leather portions on the side, not the CF on the top/bottom.
  • It feels like it's larger and thinner than the Model 3/Y's wheel. It also feels more rubbery? It didn't give me the "instant satisfaction" feeling I get whenever I drive a 3/Y.
Ultimately, I'm gonna stick with my current, chunkier aftermarket wheel (which actually seems to better match my interior). But I'm still glad they offer the wheel now--it'd be totally worth it for me if I still had the yoke, but not so much for the crossover from another wheel.

View attachment 916628
Which aftermarket wheel do you have