Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X Round Steering Wheel & Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla told me they keep the Yoke….now I’m hesitating the swap. When I sell the car down the line I’d like to have it in case new buyer wants it. I don’t understand why they don’t let you keep it.
If the mobile service tech wants to keep my two yokes he’s going to have to reimburse me for them. Considering they made me pay for a round wheel — it’s not like I’m upgrading, just putting in what should have been there in the first place.

I have rounded up the best steering wheels for the 2021 Tesla Model S/X ! Tesery selection includes retrofits for older models and new car deliveries, so you can get the steering wheel you want - hassle-free. We also have a range of accessories to go with it, from carbon fiber frames to bespoke stitching.
Get your hands on the ultimate driving experience - a brand new, round steering wheel perfect for the 2021 Tesla Model S/X. Our models are made from the highest quality materials so you can be sure of the best performance and look.
Click here to discover more
View attachment 921184View attachment 921185

I think the aftermarket wheels look great and am waiting on more reviews of the tesla retrofit before deciding my next steps. I do think 3rd party need to reduce their prici
I have rounded up the best steering wheels for the 2021 Tesla Model S/X ! Tesery selection includes retrofits for older models and new car deliveries, so you can get the steering wheel you want - hassle-free. We also have a range of accessories to go with it, from carbon fiber frames to bespoke stitching.
Get your hands on the ultimate driving experience - a brand new, round steering wheel perfect for the 2021 Tesla Model S/X. Our models are made from the highest quality materials so you can be sure of the best performance and look.
Click here to discover more
View attachment 921184View attachment 921185

I think these look great but need to see more reviews of the retrofit before going 3rd party. If retrofit gets good reviews then I think tesery, hansshaw, and others will be more competitive pricing

Tesla told me they keep the Yoke….now I’m hesitating the swap. When I sell the car down the line I’d like to have it in case new buyer wants it. I don’t understand why they don’t let you keep it.
I'm not 100% sure this is the reason that they would tell you they're trying to keep the yoke, but I believe it's because of what I've highlighted in the "Tesla parts, body & paint repair limited warranty."

The reason I suspect this is because I had an issue with my 2020 M3P (with 90k miles) where AP, CC, and FSD completely stopped working. Tesla Service wanted to replace my computer. I asked if I could keep the computer, and they said no. I asked why, and they gave me a generic response that they keep all parts if they do the work.

Seeing as how a new computer costs $1500, I was adamant about keeping the old one since I technically paid for it when I bought the car, therefore I believed it should belong to me even after it is removed from the car (I'm not trying to debate this with anyone as it's not the point of this post). During this time, I dug around on the internet and found the warranty info below. Even though the Tesla SC never mentioned this Limited Warranty to me, I believe this is the ground they were going to stand on to keep the old computer.

As a bonus: If any of you care, the SC did eventually say that they would allow me to keep the old computer, but all of my AP functions came back online two weeks later, so I never ended up having the service done.

1679783165881.png

I'm not 100% sure this is the reason that they would tell you they're trying to keep the yoke, but I believe it's because of what I've highlighted in the "Tesla parts, body & paint repair limited warranty."

The reason I suspect this is because I had an issue with my 2020 M3P (with 90k miles) where AP, CC, and FSD completely stopped working. Tesla Service wanted to replace my computer. I asked if I could keep the computer, and they said no. I asked why, and they gave me a generic response that they keep all parts if they do the work.

Seeing as how a new computer costs $1500, I was adamant about keeping the old one since I technically paid for it when I bought the car, therefore I believed it should belong to me even after it is removed from the car (I'm not trying to debate this with anyone as it's not the point of this post). During this time, I dug around on the internet and found the warranty info below. Even though the Tesla SC never mentioned this Limited Warranty to me, I believe this is the ground they were going to stand on to keep the old computer.

As a bonus: If any of you care, the SC did eventually say that they would allow me to keep the old computer, but all of my AP functions came back online two weeks later, so I never ended up having the service done.

View attachment 921379

For warranty replacements, absolutely they can keep the parts. It’s on their dime.

In this case, we’re purchasing the new wheel so I expect to keep the yoke.

For warranty replacements, absolutely they can keep the parts. It’s on their dime.

In this case, we’re purchasing the new wheel so I expect to keep the yoke.
I agree with you. I believe you (and I) should be able to keep the parts. My Model 3 was out of warranty, so it was not a warranty replacement being done.

You bought the car with a yoke. The yoke should belong to you. I bought the car with the computer that it came with. I think the computer should belong to me. They wanted me to buy a new computer as part of their service. You're buying a part and having Tesla service do the work. I was going to buy a part and have Tesla do the work.

I think that they would argue that if you plan to take advantage of the Limited Parts Warranty that I referenced, then you would have to relinquish the part. I don't know for sure; I am just speculating.

Mobile service completed my retrofit yesterday and it’s such a big improvement over the yoke in day to day driving. The only real downside is that the wheel obscures the speed limit and the indicator for the lights in the instrument cluster - hopefully Tesla will move them in a future update.

I had to do a scroll wheel reset for the car to start showing the wheel rather than the yoke in software.

Reactions: bllydia
If the mobile service tech wants to keep my two yokes he’s going to have to reimburse me for them. Considering they made me pay for a round wheel — it’s not like I’m upgrading, just putting in what should have been there in the first place.
Exactly !! We paid for the yoke when we bought car and paid for the round retrofit steering wheel.
If anything they should give us the round wheel (and then some) after randomly dropping the plaid msrp by $20K+ pretty much over night making everybody with pre 2023 Telsa plaids underwater on their car loans...

Mobile service completed my retrofit yesterday and it’s such a big improvement over the yoke in day to day driving. The only real downside is that the wheel obscures the speed limit and the indicator for the lights in the instrument cluster - hopefully Tesla will move them in a future update.

I had to do a scroll wheel reset for the car to start showing the wheel rather than the yoke in software.
I wasn't aware the steering wheel could be installed via mobile service. I might see if I can change my appointment to mobile, as dealing with Tesla service is a PITA.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot