Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X Round Steering Wheel & Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which aftermarket wheel do you have
I've got the Hansshow wheel, with carbon fiber/leather and black stitching/center ring. It keeps the heating functionality, but only on the leather areas.

IMG_6841.jpg

Just saw this thread. I tried out the new wheel in person today. While I've already moved to an aftermarket wheel, I was curious if spending another $700 was worth it to go back to OEM.

Notes:
  • Horn is still the same (moving it to the center pad would have alone won me over to purchasing this wheel)
  • We all knew this already, but no stalks; same windshield wiper, turn signal, and light buttons (any of these changing would have gotten me into this wheel, too)
  • The heated functionality feels like it might eventually heat the entire wheel? At least, it starts on the sides and I think it was starting to heat the top by the time I got out. My current aftermarket wheel only heats the leather portions on the side, not the CF on the top/bottom.
  • It feels like it's larger and thinner than the Model 3/Y's wheel. It also feels more rubbery? It didn't give me the "instant satisfaction" feeling I get whenever I drive a 3/Y.
Ultimately, I'm gonna stick with my current, chunkier aftermarket wheel (which actually seems to better match my interior). But I'm still glad they offer the wheel now--it'd be totally worth it for me if I still had the yoke, but not so much for the crossover from another wheel.

View attachment 916628
Interesting, thanks for posting. Most of the people who are fans of the yoke believe it provides better visibility to the screen. Based on this image it looks that the wheel doesn't really impede your view too much -- curious to know your thoughts.

Interesting, thanks for posting. Most of the people who are fans of the yoke believe it provides better visibility to the screen. Based on this image it looks that the wheel doesn't really impede your view too much -- curious to know your thoughts.
I remember being able to see the front screen fine; the center screen could still be clipped like it was with the yoke.

***But full disclosure--I've never had an issue with being able to see the screen through wheels in any high-volume, production cars. It might just be that I just automatically move my head to see what I need...not sure. Because of this, I feel the visibility argument is a bit manufactured as the sole practical excuse for the yoke, so I admit that I'm biased. I think it's also why it's hard to convey the sightlines in pictures, since you can only capture one angle.

Reactions: Nickos and Jons1234
I'm sure we all would like to see the horn button placement as well...
So damn tired of waiting for this, from over ONE YEAR AGO, but I guess we have to assume that Elon was either telling a lie, or he just "misspoke?"

Reactions: Nickos
The retrofit is now available to order, I've done it and scheduled mobile service next week to have it fitted.
Thanks Olly_, I as well! Will send pics and impressions when it happens :). FYI - if it holds, my appointment is Monday 3/20 @ 130pm EDT. If you get yours done first, LMK of they let you keep the Yoke "Shell" in case you want it for eventual resale. If I'm first, I'll also post and let folks know what happened.

Last edited:
So the SC pinged me via the app today to ask what service was I coming to get. Mentioned I'd ordered the steering wheel via the app and it immediately prompted me to make the appointment and the next notification I received was what appears to be an appointment confirmation. Would have loved the option of having them come to me but my guess is since the wheel is apparently being dropped shipped to them, that's not an option if I want to keep the Monday appointment. I had to move the wife's eTron last night and was immediately reminded of just how better a steering wheel is over the Yoke.

Reactions: Nickos
I ordered the retrofit this morning, also have a mobile service appt for Wednesday the 22nd.

While I am used to the yoke and have no trouble with it, there is something about having the whole wheel to grab onto and not just hold at the sides or bottom. I just think it will be more comfortable and even more fun to drive around. Will report back.
More comfortable, fun and safer too. But doesn’t look as cool.

Reactions: kazamm and Luka816